Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you head to a warmer place this time of year? >

Do you head to a warmer place this time of year?

Do you head to a warmer place this time of year?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 PM

Cool Do you head to a warmer place this time of year?

I'm just curious what others do and where they may head this time of year? We live in the Adirondack Mtns of northern NY and it has been a very cold winter. For a few winters we went to Florida but the last several we have stayed in NY. After all the below zero temps this past month, we are once again thinking of finding a warmer place for a month or two next year. I thought I'd post this in the hope of getting some good ideas for a destination that is warmer, not too crowded, not too busy and not too pricey. In other words - probably the same thing most others would look for - something for nothing <label for="rb_iconid_6"></label>
Old 02-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

We have our own business and can't get away. We have a new puppy, another dog, three cats and a bird which would make it impossible to go anywhere else.
This winter sure would have been a good one to go somewhere warmer. I usually like winter but the up and down temps this year is a bit too much.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:48 PM

We keep talking about at least a warm vacation this time of year but somehow never manage that either. Oh well, a girl can dream!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:01 PM

We don't, but I constantly remind my hubby that the kids are grown and my sister lives in eastern Tennessee. She still gets a tiny bit of winter, just the right amount, not like here in Illinois. Lol
Old 02-17-2014, 04:04 PM

I should have added that I do realize not everyone is retired or even if they are, some don't want to leave home and others can't afford it. My husband says that what we will save on heating this old house will go a long way toward paying for the get away.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:13 PM

Wildernessties...what GREAT point! My hubby has a great job that he loves, so we are stuck until he retires or our house is paid off. So it will be awhile. Lol. He has told me I could move there as long as I came home 1 week a month. ..its a 10-11 hr drive. Hahaha
Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 AM

With 5 dogs, 4 cats, 6 horses and 2 donkeys it's nearly impossible to go anywhere except for a few hours. Hubby is starting to complain more about being tied down but honestly, I'm a home body and even if we didn't have all the critters I need to be home after a very few days. If I went away for more than a week I would get tired of feeling like I was living in someone else's place. I guess I just need MY space.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 AM

DH & I try to go away every other year! This year is Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic...12 more days til 85 degrees!!! Living in northern Michigan, I have 4 foot of snow, and it seems like I haven't taken off my long johns in 6 months.... We hire a college student to stay with our 3 girls (lab, pit bull & Wheaton terrier).
I save all year for this trip, and sometimes work a second job....but it is soooo worth it!!! At 55 years old and years of saving for orthodox & hockey skates & dance/gym classes....I love splurging!!
Would love to stay in the states but can't even come close to the price of the carribean all inclusive deals!
As I lay on the beach....I will be dreaming of my next 2 baby quilts for sisters...having babies a month apart.....and maybe a couple yards from a local fabric shop??? Hmmmmm.....lol
Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 AM

We live in West Central Nebraska and we don't go south because my husband can't tow his garage!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:41 AM

We don't go anywhere. We probably would if we hadn't lost so much $$ in the downturn of the economy! Bora Bora sounds pretty good right about now, though! Not complaining, though. We have our health, family, faith and happiness right here at home.
Not to mention is supposed to hit 70* tomorrow