Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you like using gift bags for presents?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
    I have always hated the waste of wrapping paper, tissue paper, and paper gift bags.
    Me too but I think gift bags can more easily be reused. I have a couple of environmentally conscious friends/relatives who appreciate it when I reuse the paper store bags. (Think Trader Joe's)

I liked wrapped boxes. Don't always do all mine in boxes, some things that are shaped oddly just go better in a bag or I might not have the right size box. My grandmother worked at Hudson's Department store (Detroit, MI) and of course she did all her Christmas shopping there. Had them gift wrap everything too. I was always loved her presents because they were wrapped so beautifully...an enduring memory of her and Christmas :-)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the gift. I usually wrap DH gift for the practice. I usually give gift cards but still like to wrap them and put them in the card. Crazy, maybe. Depends on my mood. I have more trouble with gift bags.

When my niece was 1 1/2 I put her gift in a bag because it was such a weird shape. She would not take it. She just pushed it aside and wouldn't open it. Instead she wanted her mother's present because it was wrapped. This Christmas she is 15 and I wrapped her present, put it in a larger box and wrapped that one. Twice.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

MIL told somebody I have the store wrap my gifts. Wrong on that. I love to wrap gifts.

I like them, they are convient. Especially when things are hard to wrap.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

I love to wrap gifts, in fact. To earn extra money throughout college, I hired myself out to wrap gifts at Christmas time. I had so much fun, and found the odder the shaped gift the more fun I had wrapping it. I loved adding bows, etc. Continue to do it to this day. I have mom's with small kids drop off their gifts, paper, boxes and name tags, and I do the rest. Then they come by a day or two before Christmas and pick them up, so the kids find no gifts around the house. I even have a special way I write the name of the kids and from Santa, so the hand writing looks different than if they get a gift from mom and dad, and the wrapping paper is always different.

Blog Entries
    We only use gift bags if there is no time to wrap, since I love to wrap gifts even more than I like opening them. It always reminds me of Christmas at Grandma Helen's (the best Christmases of my life).

My family has a tradition of one box under the tree is wrapped especially nice, ribbons, bows, foofoo, etc. that gift is never given a label. It is part of our Christmas season to guess who it is for, what it might be, "I hope it is....", "I hope it is mine", etc. Christmas morning, it is the last gift under the tree, and only after all other gifts are opened and oooed and ahhhhed over, only then is the secret told, and the lucky recipient gets to open it after everyone has a last guess at what it is. Yes, you may take our tradition and adapt it to your own celebration. Merry Christmas all!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Gift bags can be very economical and good for our environment because they can be used over and over.

Blog Entries
    I have to wrap... and actually enjoy it. I even go all the way to putting ribbon and bows on each package (not the premade bow from a bag of bows)

I think it is far more fun to analyze the wrapped packages and to be able to "rip" off the pretty paper. I must have fond memories of Christmas from childhood.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

You betcha I use em! I also do the traditional wrapping. My dil's mom makes fabric bags of all size, and then ties them shut with fluffy pipe cleaners. They can be reused from year to year.,great to do when Christmas fabric is way on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I'm not opposed to gift bags but at guild at our gift exchange every gift was in a gift bag except mine. I had mine in a very pretty gift box, the kind that is wrapped but you open without tearing the paper. All the others looked the same, pretty bag with tissue sticking out the top. Most all the same size too. My box was chosen first. I watched the others choose but really they didn't ponder, just walked up and grabbed the nearest bag. I remember when all the gifts were wrapped in boxes and everyone spent some time choosing which box they wanted. Never under estimate the gift box. It really enhances even the most humble gift.
    I make fabric bags that can be reused. I add outside pockets and sometimes inner zipper pockets.

I use gift bags for anything awkward to wrap, including shirts, anything fabric,etc... ( I have so many to shop for and it would be a hardship to find boxes for everything) Anything square or rectangular/easy to wrap gets the wrapping paper.

I love gift wrapping, but I admit that I do use a lot of bags. Using so much tissue bothers me sometimes so I try to recycle as much as I can. Our family uses a lot of bags AND WE HOLD ONTO THEM AND REUSE. It isn't unusual to see a birthday gift in a Christmas or Mother's Day bag. We all understand each other. It's become a family tradition and we try to remember who gifted in that bag.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    This is just a quick tip for those who may not have thought about it. Did you ever have the right size box for a certain gift but had writing all over and you needed the box to mail or just wrap. You can reuse the box by carefully sliding a letter opener or knife to undo the flaps and folds. Flip and reverse and refold and tape what ever works to hold it together. I often use strong mailing tape. You can also staple in some cases. If you glue, you may want to clamp/hold it together til dry. Gorilla glue and E6000 needs to dry over night. I save certain size boxes like the Priority Mail you may have received.

I may save a pretty gift bag or two but not all of them and certainly don't save the tissue paper or wrapping paper. We seldom use bows or ribbons for gifts under the tree. I use the fancy bows and ribbons for other gifts like Birthday, Anniversary, Weddings, Showers, etc.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I love doing both. For exchanging gifts at my son's house, we usually wrap each gift individually for him and our daughter in law, and then put them all in bigger gift bags to take over there. We then go through a routine of giving each one a gift to open, and then they do the same with us. Then we keep doing that until the biggest or nicest main gift is left and then give them that, and they do that with us too. It's fun. We take their two dogs a doggie treat too. lol..

I like wrapping gifts, but I am beginning to prefer gift bags, since they take less time and come in different sizes.

Blog Entries
    For some it is so much easier in a bag, those with arthritis can't always get the ribbons and box open. I do love the beautifully wrapped box and would do that if I know the recipient.
    Patski
    always learning

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
    I have a lot of gifts that must be mailed and gift bags are much better in a situation like that. You can "cheat" a little and squish them to fit. Boxes must be fitted properly in the mailing carton which can result in needing a larger carton and that in turn could result in a higher mailing cost. I do wrap some gifts but overall it's the bags for me.
    That's me exactly. I have to mail ALL of my presents so bags it is. I just finished wrapping mine to be mailed by Tues and used bags and paper. They have to be "squashable!" teehee! I know kids prefer the paper and I do theirs in paper but everyone else usually a pretty bag with lots of tissue out the top! This year our hometown market is using brown paper bags with red tissue and little red streamers tied to it. Very pretty! Merry Christmas everyone!

I do not have the talent required to wrap a box up and it come out looking nice so I usually go with the gift bags. However, I love the look of a pretty wrapped gift.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    I do not have the talent required to wrap a box up and it come out looking nice so I usually go with the gift bags. However, I love the look of a pretty wrapped gift.
    That's why I buy the decorated Christmas boxes. They are beautiful and very sturdy. They will last for years.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Love wrapping present with loads of tape, always have. I use bags for bottles only.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2