Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you recycle the reusable grocery bags?

Do you recycle the reusable grocery bags?

I buy the cheap plastic/vinyl reusable grocery bags for my groceries, they cost about $2 at most places. I pick out the ones I think are pretty, but hate it when they start to tear. Does anyone recycle the good parts of the bags into something else? They're pretty and I hate to throw the entire bag away because of a torn area.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

Blog Entries
    can you make a tote bag out of them. like put on new handles, or cut away the bad spot and make patchwork out of it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Saw on fb where they cut them up sewed sides and bottom velcro on top and make small holders for kids crayons, make up, candy , whatever!!

Blog Entries
    Was on a pg by homemade ginger called DIY velcro pouch

Blog Entries
    Look up Larry Hall Walmart bag self watering kiddie pool grow bag. We grew the best tomatoes ever last summer
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Save your $2 and make a bag out of denim or other heavy duty fabric. They wash up and are reusable for a long time. I have one that I've been using for 25 years. It goes in the wash machine several times a month. I had two, but the other one disappeared somewhere? ? ?
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Right on, Maviskw! I have 3 denim bags that are over 30 years old. I have had to make them smaller because the baggers insist on filling them with canned goods and they are so heavy I can no longer carry them. One weighed 60 pounds when I staggered up the steps with it. One boy said he could get all my cans in one and when I told him that was not the object of bagging groceries, he walked away. Not fun.

And speaking of grocery bags, I save the plastic bags to crochet "sit-upon s" for kids to take to a sports game. Makes a nice soft cushion.

TJMaxx has pretty ones for $.99. I use them for all sorts of things. Even the ones with a thin spot (not good for groceries) hold fabric or shoes in the closet. I cook several meals a week for a friend and they are the best for transporting. If they don't have a firm bottom, I cut one from foam core board. Most of them wash quite well. If one gets too thin to use, I'd save the webbing for various things - you can't buy it around here and make a patchwork mat with the good parts. Trunk of car, under the dogs' dishes, etc.

I make bags out of the large dog food, cat food, horse feed bags. Cut strips from top for handles, add on.....somewhere on web there's a how to. They last long because those feed bags are reinforced plastic.......

I sew my own grocery bags. I like that i can throw them in the washer.
    I am not perfect and I do not make perfect quilts.
    I do make quilts with love and they are meant to be loved.
    If i can transfer those feelings with needle and thread,
    that makes me happy.

Blog Entries
    You are all so well organized! I have lots of the bags...even some very nice thermal ones...and forget to take them when i go to town(we're 25 miles from town), and its too far to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Save your $2 and make a bag out of denim or other heavy duty fabric. They wash up and are reusable for a long time. I have one that I've been using for 25 years. It goes in the wash machine several times a month. I had two, but the other one disappeared somewhere? ? ?
    I've also made my own bags out of green twill fabric. I embroidered a cute design on each one. Each will hold 2 gallons of milk but try not to do that as they get heavy. They fold up nicely to stack and we keep them in the car. The problem is--remembering to take them into the store each trip.

I was just thinking of all the different duct tape you can buy now to patch up those bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by sew_southern View Post
    I buy the cheap plastic/vinyl reusable grocery bags for my groceries, they cost about $2 at most places. I pick out the ones I think are pretty, but hate it when they start to tear. Does anyone recycle the good parts of the bags into something else? They're pretty and I hate to throw the entire bag away because of a torn area.

Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    You are all so well organized! I have lots of the bags...even some very nice thermal ones...and forget to take them when i go to town(we're 25 miles from town), and its too far to go back!
    The only way I remember my bags is to put them back in the car as soon as I have unpacked the groceries. I just leave the bags there all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I make bags out of the large dog food, cat food, horse feed bags. Cut strips from top for handles, add on.....somewhere on web there's a how to. They last long because those feed bags are reinforced plastic.......
    I wish I knew someone who wants some dog food bags. They are too pretty to pitch, but I don't want to sew with them. I used to save for a local woman who sold them at craft shows, but the last time I called, she didn't want any. I've been using them for trash, but that seems a waste.

Great ideas! I usually buy them at Cracker Barrel Restaurants because they have large, pretty ones to choose from and you can get 1 for $2 or 3 for $5. I've made my own in the past, but the plastic ones stand up better while putting groceries in them.
    I keep mine folded neatly in a basket in the trunk of my car. After I'm finished putting groceries away, I put the folded empty bags on a table by the front door so I remember to take them back to the car when I go. Some of our grocery stores credit your bill $.05 per bag you bring, sometimes I use 6 or more.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

Quote Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
    Canoe Pam and sew-southern have said it all. Keep them in the car. When I empty mine in the house, they hang on the door knob. The next person to go out, to anywhere, takes them out to the car.
    So, when I get to the store, I get out of the car and walk to the door. Then I remember the bag in the car and have to go back. I walk back to the store and then I remember that our store has free coffee, so it's back to the car for my cup. (I use my own cup because theirs do not have covers and I'm always spilling coffee around the store if it's not covered.) That's how I get my exercise!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Canoe Pam and sew-southern have said it all. Keep them in the car. When I empty mine in the house, they hang on the door knob. The next person to go out, to anywhere, takes them out to the car.
    So, when I get to the store, I get out of the car and walk to the door. Then I remember the bag in the car and have to go back. I walk back to the store and then I remember that our store has free coffee, so it's back to the car for my cup. (I use my own cup because theirs do not have covers and I'm always spilling coffee around the store if it's not covered.) That's how I get my exercise!
    Love it! I thought it was only me....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Anymore if I can't wash it, I'm not buying it. I Keep washable reusable in my car and DH truck. Men's jeans make great totes!

I made a bunch of cloth bags, plastic is not allowed in many of our counties. I throw them in the washer and dryer. I hang them on a hook in the laundry room by the door. I have to go through the laundry room to get to the garage so I just grab them on my way out. Otherwise I'd forget them to.

I have repaired mine with success, but I probably will have to reuse them at some point.

[QUOTE=maviskw;
    So, when I get to the store, I get out of the car and walk to the door. Then I remember the bag in the car and have to go back. I walk back to the store and then I remember that our store has free coffee, so it's back to the car for my cup. (I use my own cup because theirs do not have covers and I'm always spilling coffee around the store if it's not covered.) That's how I get my exercise![/QUOTE]

I had to smile at this. I went to Aldi's today - you pay a quarter for a cart. Whoops, back to the car to get a quarter from the coin holder - I did remember the bags. After shopping, I left the quarter in the cart. It pops out when you return the cart. Did I go back for it? No, I left it as a nice surprise for the next user as I have a cracked sacrum and getting in and out of the car is painful. Old age? I hope it more likely the meds I'm on for my back.

Blog Entries
    I usually for get to put them back in the car. I rarely use plastic but when we do, we use them for all kinds of things. I like paper bags, I use them when I'm cleaning, they are easy to take to each room. I put them in my sewing room. I keep one in my car to help keep it tidy, I love that they stand up which is great for tossing while driving or at a light.
    Judy

We use the to store magazine, papers that we are finished with and toilet rolls that a empty and papre towel rolls that are empty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast