Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you remember the book, "Goodnight, Moon"? >

Do you remember the book, "Goodnight, Moon"?

Do you remember the book, "Goodnight, Moon"?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Yes it is still a goodie!

Since everyone else is being so positive, let me enter one note of caution- the colourway in the book, while totally iconic, and not to be messed with, is not the most soothing to look at, so if I was making something with GNM fabric, I would be thinking something small...

I would not purchase the kit for the example piece you showed. I find it very angular and visually distracting.

When I read this book with my children, they love finding the mouse on every page and if I was making a quilt or hanging/pillow/rabbit cover with it, I would expect to be able to hide mice in there. Also, the passage of the moon from the lower left of the window as it rises is a key feature of the story and I would like to see that reflected as well. So potentially I would be doing a lot of fussy cutting!

I've sure lots of people would like to make it as a cloth book as well.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Yes I remember the book and as a matter of fact..Hallmark now has it out in one of those books that your can read and record for your children. I bought one in May and recorded myself reading it for my granddaughter Isabella who was born on June 24th. We live in Florida and they live in NY so Grammy is not going to be around all the time to read to her. I also took a picture of my husband and I and taped it on the inside of the cover. The quilt I made for Isabella is the one my DIL is holdingl up in my profile picture. Candy Land fabric used tomake that one. I for one would buy Goodnight Moon fabric to make a toddler quilt with.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:14 PM

Do I remember it???? Bought it for all my grandkids, it was in my grandson's stocking last Christmas, along with The Very Hungry Catapiller. Classics that I've read and presented to all my "babies" over the years.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:16 PM

Goodnight Moon is a classic - one that ALL children should know! I love the project and hope you will post when it is available. :D
Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 PM

ditto
Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM

I love it! Kids and now grandkids hear it from me all the time. (They have it memoreized so I can play a little with the rhymes!)
Old 07-02-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I don't know about young mothers but I read that book at least a million times to my children when they were little. Great memories, great book.
Me too!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM

I don't know about the young moms, but, I'm a first grade teacher and I read it every year to my class.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Yes I loved that book and read it to my kids..who also love it! I can't wait to make one of these:)
Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Yes, my daughter and I read it to the almost three year old and she loves it. We would have her pick out the things and say goodnight to them.She has one of those projectors that you put a disk in and it displays pictures on the ceiling and one of them shows moons and stars and she calls it her Goodnight Moon one.