Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think it can be physically impossible to give up certain foods?

About a week and a half ago I stopped eating chips and hershey kisses, first they're bad for you and expensive, or at least how much I eat. Felt pretty good, started eating more fruit and it has been warm and sunny and fruit always tastes better in summer.

Well, yesterday and today it has been cool and I've been hungry so last night I ate a handful of pringles and about 6 kisses and felt immediately better.

Do you think that our bodies get used to certain things and they just don't like not having them anymore?

Blog Entries
    I love Coke. Real, full of sugar cokes.
    I gave them up April 16, 2009.
    I did it but I still want one every day.
    So you can give it up, but it sure isn't easy. :roll:

The question is are we emotionally or physically addicted to certain foods? I think we are emotionally addicted.

Blog Entries
    Yes, yes I do! Especially chocolate and chips! Couldn't do without them either!!!!:!' I've just learned to to eat a lot less of junk stuff!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    About a week and a half ago I stopped eating chips and hershey kisses, first they're bad for you and expensive, or at least how much I eat. Felt pretty good, started eating more fruit and it has been warm and sunny and fruit always tastes better in summer.

Well, yesterday and today it has been cool and I've been hungry so last night I ate a handful of pringles and about 6 kisses and felt immediately better.

Do you think that our bodies get used to certain things and they just don't like not having them anymore?
    Chocolate has caffeine in it just like coffee, and yes it can be addictive. But I think mostly it is a mental thing, we connect certains foods as "Comfort food" to us. I can't eat chocolate or drink coffee because they give me migraines; has to do with the way the coffee beans and chocolate are processed. So I found a substitute when I crave something sweet. I eat a couple Reeses White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, the small ones. It satisfies my sweet tooth. And when I crave something salty I eat some popcorn. If you don't overdo what you're eating, I don't see it as a problem.

Well I sure don't want to get "hooked" on them again, after all, I lost 6 pounds too so that salt and sugar was definitely not doing me any good.

I guess I'm just going to have to stop!

I think it is an emotional thing.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I lost 30 lbs. just by giving up sweets and chips. I did it for 6 months then went back to eating them and gained 14 lbs. back. I'm giving them up again and have already lost 5 lbs. since the first. Just keep reminding yourself that it's not good for you. After a while you won't crave them as much and they will start tasting nasty too.

I need my morning coffee, even decaf, to get me going - no sugar and just a little low fat milk will do it. Tried doing without it, drinking all kinds of teas instead or nothing at all but that hasn't worked. Bad thing about drinking tea it makes me run to the bathroom all morning long. It's a b---h getting old. May

ITA on the emotional attachment/hunger for such. We "think" we can't do without, and so!!! :)

Some Food for Thought via some sayings I've heard at WW over the years .....

"If hunger is not the question, then food is not the answer"

"Are you stuffing your face? or Facing your Stuff?

For those that go to WW, they know there are no forbidden foods and not must eat foods. We can all choose to eat what we want ... and are given the tools of the program to be able to personalize the program around our physical/hunger needs as well as the food emotional requirements!

Think ...
    Portion Control ... not Portion Distortion!
    as that's our true enemy, when we choose to eat th less healthier foods that we need/want emotionally.

Blog Entries
    I gave up on soft drinks completely. I love Pepsi and diet Sunkist. It was the carbonation that I loved. Now I drink carbonatd water. I have lost a couple pounds but would lose even more if I could give up my chocolate. LOL!! A baby has more willpower than I do when it comes to chocolate. LOL!!!

I gave up icecream and cookies for a while and lost 10 pounds with in 4 wks. But I crave my ice cream every night after supper sooooooooo I will not give it up and thats the way it is. However I am not over weight so guess I don't have to worry too much

just like a hard drug, our bodies can crave carbs and sugars. If you find a food that is like that for you, you must resist! otherwise, it keeps triggering the desire for more. for me, chocolate is one such food. it is also a highly intelligent food--can learn my name in the supermarket aisle, can jump into the cart, then continue to call me at home until I eat it. I've learned to cover my cart in that aisle! I refuse to bring any home.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19

I think it's like being addicted to anything. I stopped smoking on Feb. 14, 2011. It's been four months and the cravings are still there. Not as many, but they do show up every now and then. I have been avoiding processed sugars this year and everyday it gets a little easier. When I have that huge craving, I would eat that one piece of chocolate. But I had to make myself stop at one. I have been dying for a tasty cream donut lately. LOL. Good Luck, It will get easier :)

I am addicted to soft drinks! I prefer Coke Zero but will pretty much drink any except Dr. Pepper & Cherry Coke. I have tried to stop drinking it but it's so hard! I quit smoking almost 11 years ago and that was easier to do than to quit drinking soft drinks.

QuiltE, this is great!
    "If hunger is not the question, then food is not the answer"

NYC - I love how you said that choc knows your name - it definitely feels like that!

I'm not overweight either just getting older and don't want to have to be on pills for anything if I can help it. I wonder if it's related more to discipline because everything is emotional anyway. Like, if I'm having a bad moment and I run for a kiss, I'm emotionally dependent on the comfort I think that kiss will bring. But if I have the discipline to not actually eat one, maybe I will have more control over how I react to the situation that made me feel like the kiss would resolve it.

Blog Entries
    I used to drink soda all the time and now I donít even like it. The only time I have it is when at a friendís and they offer it. I drink water all day, after my morning coffee that is. I used to eat lots of chocolate and lots of those lime tortilla chips every day! I donít buy them so they arenít there to tempt me. The only time I buy any of this stuff is when friends come over.

I finally broke my obsession with Diet Mountain Dew with my new one called Diet Green Tea......I crave it.

No, it is not physically impossible to give up certain foods. It is an emotional thing. We must have our comfort foods. I don't drink anything that has sugar in it, either diet or water. However, I WILL EAT my M&Ms every night when I sit down for the evening!!! It is a matter of choosing the lesser evil, sugar all day or handful of sugar at night. (At least that is the way I look at it!!)

Blog Entries
    I think the emotional aspect of addiction takes the longest to get over. I'm thinking it's very similar to quitting smoking. When I did it, it took at least two years before the occasional craving stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Opal Jane
    The question is are we emotionally or physically addicted to certain foods? I think we are emotionally addicted.
    I agree. I think we have convinced ourselfs that we "need" these foods and our bodys react accordingly. I'm fighting the same battle right now. I had done great for a couple months, eating fruits, veggies, whole grains. Stopped eating chips, most sugars laced foods and had actually lost weight. Then the stress of a few things happend and sent me back into a spiral I have been attempting to find my way back out of since. It is not so easy at this moment because my stress is telling my brain I "need" these food items. I'm trying though. It is a matter of telling our brain to make the right choice, when choosing between chips or a banana.

I gave up a lot to loose 92 lbs and I miss certain things 2 years later..lol..what I learned was to control how much!!

Power Poster
    I think we have been "programmed" to think that so many of the "less than wonderful for us" foods have been considered treats.

I don't think it is physically - or mentally - impossible to give up certain foods - if one really chooses to do so.

(This is assuming one is getting enough essential nutrients to maintain a healthy body)

Yes, chocolate, and sunflower seeds in the shell. So I bought the mini chocolates and allow myself 2 a day, and only eat dry roasted, already shelled sunflower seeds. I have to admit, the hardest one is the seeds, I really love cracking those shells but I was going through 2 bags a day! The salt alone will kill ya!

Blog Entries
    I found once I started exercising every day I don't have the cravings I use to have. Not even chocolate and I love chocolate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast