Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone collect thimbles?

I started collecting thimbles several years ago. Bought several on ebay, including a wall display unit for them. I have 85 thimbles,, some wood, some glass, some ceramic, some metal, some with inlays, some from other countries. I have a cowboy hat, a santa, a snowman, and sea otter. I have one with a moose hugging the thimble and one with a duck sitting on top of the thimble.
    Whenever anyone in my small quilting group goes anywhere, we bring back a thimble and fat quarter for each member in the group. My husband brings me one occassionally from his business trips.
    I love looking for them at garage sales too. What do you have?

I inherited my MIL's thimble collection when she died last year. The collection was split between family members, I but got the bilk of it. I have thimbles from around the world. Fur ones from Alaska, blue delft from Holland, Bone china from England, and many from all the states. I have several wooden ones.

i have about 20 thimbles, i am not actively collecting them, but when i see a cute one at a garage sale i pick it up. I have them on a little shelf. My passion is old pin cushions.

When I travel, I buy a souvenier thimble for my sister-in-law and she buys one for me when she travels. We told our daughters that if they want to know where we have traveled to look at the sister-in-law thimble collection!!

I have about 30 of them collected in the last 30+ years. Mostly of places we've been or given as a gift, My favorites ones are my pewter ones from Alaska, Washington DC and the World of Coke Cola in Georgia. All 3 places are ones that I picked up while attending meetings or visiting my son and family in Alaska. I am always watching for them. All are of states with the exception of the Coke cola one, and I even have one from Mexico, London, these two were from friends that were on trips there.
    In February we are going on a cruise for our Anniversary. So I will get several more then.

I too collect thimbles. One of the easiest items to buy and pack when traveling. I don't know the exact number but well over 100 of all sizes and shapes, old and new.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    I too collect thimbles. One of the easiest items to buy and pack when traveling. I don't know the exact number but well over 100 of all sizes and shapes, old and new.
    I have a collection of old silver thimbles. Not too much into the "collectible" decorative ones. My thing is real usable or used sewing items from the past.

I think thimble collections are so cool! Would love to see pictures of some of them!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    I have a collection of old silver thimbles. Not too much into the "collectible" decorative ones. My thing is real usable or used sewing items from the past.
    I was gifted part of a collection of the thimbles from a dear aunt, many of them the older silver ones, too. Need to dust them off and get them displayed--want them in a glass enclosed case as I don't want to clean them all the time!

I give away a lot of thimbles. I've bought so many, and never found one that works for me. So, no. Not a collector.

Anyone ever heard of them ,old ones, being cut and used as a wedding ring?

Sally 1612, no, never heard of that, but what a creative idea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally 1612
    Anyone ever heard of them ,old ones, being cut and used as a wedding ring?
    I have never heard of this. I would be careful as some of the silver ones are worth considerable amounts of $$.

I would add that I started collecting them as I could not find modern decorative silver thimbles that were made for using. I bought several old ones before I found one that fit me. So started my collection.

However, I use an old solid silver one every day for.....Quilting....

It is solid but light in weight, fits my finger and has little dimples that grab the needle...and its pretty

Blog Entries
    Yes, I collect thimbles, spoons and shot glasses ( I don't drink, but love to collect them).

My thimbles are displayed in glass cases so I don't have to dust them. I need to make a list of what I have as have been trying to collect one from each state in USA and other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
    I started collecting thimbles several years ago. Bought several on ebay, including a wall display unit for them. I have 85 thimbles,, some wood, some glass, some ceramic, some metal, some with inlays, some from other countries. I have a cowboy hat, a santa, a snowman, and sea otter. I have one with a moose hugging the thimble and one with a duck sitting on top of the thimble.
    Whenever anyone in my small quilting group goes anywhere, we bring back a thimble and fat quarter for each member in the group. My husband brings me one occassionally from his business trips.
    I love looking for them at garage sales too. What do you have?

Blog Entries
    I started collecting thimbles way before I had in interest in sewing. My freshman year of high school, I built a small shelving unit for them in wood shop.
    I've collected some from Mexico, Grand Cayman Island, and others from touristy places. My grandmother gave me an aluminum one and one from the Monopoly game.
    I have one that looks like the Empire State Building, one of the Statue of Liberty. I have a pig, Pikes Peak, a Hershey Kiss, and a lot more. I've outgrown my shelf, and need to start looking for some more space.
    I love thimbles!

Blog Entries
    I've been collectiing thimbles for a long time. I'd like to get rid of lot of them. What I'd like to focus on is thimbles from other states. I have a few, but not every state. We rarely travel any more so I have to depend on others buying them for me. My DM used to buy me novelty thimbles, which I do not want.

Power Poster
    I ALSO COLLECT THIMBLES I HAVE ALL KINDS AND EVEN HAVE SOME MY DH NIECES HAS MADE AND HAND PAINTED ITS FUN COLLECTING

Very small collection of thimbles...my most special one I got from a friend for my birthday...I collect sheep...and she actually found a sheep thimble!

Blog Entries
    i have about 10 or 12. not really collecting. but was looking for things to display in my sewing room..

yes, I collect thimbles-it was my passion for a long time but they don't seem to be out there anymore. I have over 750 of all materials, but mostly sterling & gold--a few duplicates, & some dating back to 1860's (coin silver). I also love the thimble holders, minders, keepers; and tiny cute measure tapes--all sewing smalls. I worry that my bachelor son will someday put them in a shoebox and sell for 50 cents in a yd sale! A pix made when I was considering selling my collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mermaid: WOW, what a beautiful collection.

WOW - you are the thimble Queen. Beautiful - Nice collection.

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who is housebound and is an avid collector of thimbles. At the moment she has over 4000 and is aiming to collect up to 5000. Every wall in her house has thimbles all in beautiful display cases and shelves. She could tell you where they come from and who bought them to her. Lots are series from different nursery rhymes etc.

Blog Entries
    I do have some from various states and family. One is sterling silver that was my husbands grandmother's estate along with a pair of scissors. The scissor man asks every time if he could buy the scissors!. I display the thimbles on a small shelf in my sewing room. Use the scissors and silver thimble! Perfect fit.
    MGrubbs

Funnily enough, I don't really collect them but I have tons. I have such difficulty keeping one on my finger, that people buy all sorts for my to 'try'. The best ones are the Japanese ones that were given to me by a friend's sister who lives in Tokyo. They are like rings and are great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast