Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore?

WalMart seems to be the "melting pot" of the population so that's where we tend to see every possible combination of apparel. Even clean clothes seem to be unnecessary nowadays! I remember when we actually changed clothes to be ready to go to town. No bra straps showing, no slip sticking out. Remember seams in stockings and doing the flip around to be sure they were straight--and who even wears stockings nowadays?! I wish the gals would quit wearing tshirts stretched over expanding pregnant bellies. How much I liked the demure maternity tops of our era! They didn't have to be tents but just a soft A-line that was a little more tasteful than being able to see how much of an outie a person has at 9 months! Gross.
    Last edited by illinois; 07-07-2015 at 03:51 AM. Reason: missing word

Sadly, modesty has gone the way of a lot of our morals.....way downhill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    ... does anyone else find it curious that most of the bad example of dressing that has been mentioned is mostly seen at WalMart? No offense meant, just wondering?
    this is not true at all. it's a stereotype.
    go to any high end shopping mall and you will still see hogs in spandex; heaving cleavage; butt cracks, etc.
    their rolls and folds of fat are just hangin' out of more expensive clothes.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

I may wear sweats and t-shirts when quilting, but if I go out of the house I put appropriate clothing on. It just amazes me to see, especially young people, in pj bottoms, hair not clean, as if they just crawled out of bed. Do they really think they look attractive? I remember my 7th grade home ec teacher telling us we should dress as if we were going to meet the queen. I don't know if I go that far in my dressing, but I try to look pulled together.
    Sophie2

Blog Entries
    walmart is the tackiest of the tacky wardrobes-hey they have there own site. My brother and I were in a Sears store and all of a sudden these 2 females who apparently had not seen one another in a while started 'screeching' #1 says Oh girl you be lookin' good #2 says I love your outfit makes you look skinny they are screeching the whole time, A store clerk goes over to them to ask them to lower their voices- he was very polite. But they act like he is not there and now customers are moving to see what was going on. My brother says to me So which one is the skinny one. One is in a sports type bra and white leggings? the other is in what I presume was a micro mini skirt and a halter top. I told my brother their phones were the only skinny thing I could see. These 2 were at least 1000 lbs together. One was there to buy a prom dress.

I dislike seeing someone in pajamas bottoms out any where, men and women showing "plumbers butt", stomachs showing because of a too short t-shirt. What happened to a decent dress code?? If places of business would post signs that this was not allowed on their property we would all be better off.

Blog Entries
    Those stretchy tight leggings that people wear as pants.......I have yet to see someone that looked good in them! And why would you want to expose yourself in that way?

You just never know what you will see anymore. We were eating dinner in a restaurant and one of the women at the next table had on skin colored tights with no underwear. It left nothing to the imagination. She was not a small person either. I couldn't believe what some people would wear in public.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

When I was in high school the girls wore skirts or dresses, never slacks, except for one special day when we were allowed to wear "capris" - remember them? We wore nylons with garter belts and shoes with heels, usually princess heels but sometimes 3-inch heels. And the hair styles! It took me 45 minutes every morning just to get my hair right, and I was one of those who didn't "rat" it. So while I feel that there are now too many who show too much, I wouldn't want to go back to the 60's for my wardrobe.

I agree with everything said here! I am one of those who chooses to dress (what I believe is) decently when I go out.
    However, I have a now 25year old who told me a few years ago when I admonished him for the way he was dressed when we were going out, "People should not judge me by the way I am dressed, if they do not know me." When I replied that "First impressions count and when they see a slob they think a slob." His reply was that they were bigoted and he did not care.
    We raised our 3 boys to wear a collar shirt if we were going out to eat, etc. However, they are all adults,(35, 33, and Mr. 25) and while the older 2 still dress like that when going out, Mr. 25 leaves a bit to be desired. The "personal freedom" movement has gone just a bit far in regards to dress codes. As for the remark about stores posting dress codes, people today have too many choices of where to buy including the internet, and will shop where they think they can have their freedom and "self expression." Also, my personal belief is that people have the idea that if I like it, it will look good on me. I would never think that I look good in Spandex!

Happy Day!
    Susan
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

Quote Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt View Post
    What I wanna know is....when did bra straps become an accessory item? I hate when bra straps show.
    Singing to the choir!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    I am retired and approaching 70. I am at the point where I am certainly not trying to impress anyone. I just try to look as good as my budget will allow. You've heard the saying " I've been down a long , hard road and some of it wasn't paved", lol. I have earned every gray hair, wrinkle and bulge. If anyone doeswn't like how I look, they can not look.
    Judi from Denver, aka Nonna Judi

I'm in my mid 60's, I wear sweats, t-shirts, etc. at home doing chores, cleaning, and just relaxing. If I'm going out and about I can be just as comfy in my pull on jeans by Lee Jeans, flats and a nice top. I am far from obese but even if I was I still have enough self respect to dress properly before leaving my house. I'm appalled at the clothing some people wear out to the mall, dinner, and Wal-Mart or Target. I'm going to assume some people don't have a mirror but it's likely they don't care. Even on a Wal-Mart or thrift store budget one can dress nicely and cover up the boobs and butt. Probably the best public display of indecency was a mother in Macy's walking around with a child. She was looking around and finally I saw her sit down in a chair, pulled out her boob and the child stood there and nursed. The child must have been 3, he was in shorts and obviously potty trained. Disgusting!

I just reread my posting of yesterday, I beg to correct something-- my boobs ARE NOT IN DANGER OF FALLING OUT.

I really don't care what people wear but I do care that they do not dress to look like sausages. Every bulge is bigger, the tighter the clothing. I am embarrassed for them. And don't even get me started on those toooooo short and very tight shorts.

You guys, are a hoot!!!. I love it. Next week, I will be 70 and I try to dress properly when I go out. I still work and my work clothes are casual. I still like to keep my body covered up, gosh, even when dear hubby and I go fishing, and out on the lake, no one sees you, but I want to be covered up and look decent. As my old grandmother would say, you never know when you will be in an accident, and you would not want anyone at the hospital to see you looking like rags, actually, it was to put on clean under-ware everyday, but you get the jest.

Quote Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
    I really don't care what people wear but I do care that they do not dress to look like sausages. Every bulge is bigger, the tighter the clothing. I am embarrassed for them. And don't even get me started on those toooooo short and very tight shorts.
    This is my pet peeve too. If you are fat

Oops hit the return too soon :-) anyway if you are fat DO NOT WEAR TIGHT CLOTHES. You don't have to wear a mumu, but something looser would be much more becoming.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
    I just reread my posting of yesterday, I beg to correct something-- my boobs ARE NOT IN DANGER OF FALLING OUT.
    I figured that is what you meant, but I did have a good chuckle when I read the original post!
    Sophie2

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    When I was in high school the girls wore skirts or dresses, never slacks, except for one special day when we were allowed to wear "capris" - remember them? We wore nylons with garter belts and shoes with heels, usually princess heels but sometimes 3-inch heels. And the hair styles! It took me 45 minutes every morning just to get my hair right, and I was one of those who didn't "rat" it. So while I feel that there are now too many who show too much, I wouldn't want to go back to the 60's for my wardrobe.
    I could not have said it better. I've been retired since 1996 and I still wake up at 5:30a.m. as that was the time I had to get up so that I could do the hot roller thing for my hair. Now I wear nothing that has to be dry cleaned and very few things that need ironing.

I know when we gain weight things don't look good but I live in an area where a certain culture wears everything so tight you wonder why they bother to dress at all. Then there are the gobs of flesh escaping everywhere, mostly from the top. It can get pretty disgusting. Being overweight is no excuse to look like you put ten pounds of potatoes in a five pound sack. Buy bigger clothes or lose weight. But you see, these people buy them to fit that way, they think it's sexy. I'm talking old women here as well! And the make up....don't get me started!
    Michelle Guadarrama

I agree with all of posts here. People should care what they look like in public. You don't have to dress up but jeans & a nice shirt that covers you would be nice. If you are ready for bed then stay home & go to bed. Go out when you get dressed in the morning. Also clean hair & a shower doesn't cost much

I know when we gain weight things don't look good but I live in an area where a certain culture wears everything so tight you wonder why they bother to dress at all. Then there are the gobs of flesh escaping everywhere, mostly from the top. It can get pretty disgusting. Being overweight is no excuse to look like you put ten pounds of potatoes in a five pound sack. Buy bigger clothes or lose weight. But you see, these people buy them to fit that way, they think it's sexy. I'm talking old women here as well! And the make up....don't get me started!
    Michelle Guadarrama

Power Poster
    As long as these are the worst "offenses" some people commit - I think we should thank them for giving us something to talk about!!

I really don't mind if someone shows up in a hardware store, garage, plant nursery, etc - in work clothes that may be dirty if they are in the middle of a project and need to pick up parts or supplies for whatever they are doing.

I do mind - a lot - if someone is planning to try on clothing and they are not "fresh as a just-opening-up daisy!"

But I do agree - some sights are less attractive than others. The one that bothers me is the T-shirt that is too short to cover a very big, very protruding belly. (Usually seen on a man wearing sweat pants or elastic waist shorts.)

What a hoot! I live close to a beach, you wouldn't believe what I see at the grocery store. Especially Walmart. But, they aren't home, they are on vacation. So,I cut them some slack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast