Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore? >

Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore?

Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:59 AM

Yes, I get embarrassed when I look at some women's attire.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:03 AM

What I wanna know is....when did bra straps become an accessory item? I hate when bra straps show.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 AM

I try not to judge other people based on their looks - maybe it was a struggle just for them to get out of the house this morning.

I remember when I used to go to church with my family, there was an old lady who would show up in a robe and slippers. I remember my mom telling us, we shouldn't laugh at her, she was mentally ill and couldn't help it. Not sure how she explained that to under 10's but she got the point across.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Goodness, i have a habit of looking at myself in department store glass fronts to see if my slip is showing. well, I did when I wore skirts. Still, i care but can truthfully say not many do these days. Sad but true. too casual for me.
Oh , those men's baggy pants they wear. They look like a big baby with a very dirty diaper on!! Or almost on! icky.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:54 AM

When I was little women wore girdles to corral their rolls. When we finally moved to Mississippi, my mom decided enough was enough. I don't think we should go back to girdles, but I do hate to see young women wearing strapless shirt with bra straps showing. Or spaghetti straps with bra straps showing. I'm 50 years old and when I was a teen, it was considered tacky.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I live in a condo with 886 houses. we see a lot at the pool. Woman with boobjobs so big and barely a piece of fabric covering. or a white suit that's see thru, horrors!!!!

and when did bra straps become a fashion statement. or wearing a hot pink bra under a yellow shirt. I try to hide my undergarments, I get a nude bra so no one sees it. whats's with the straps showing? or worse, G-strings poking out of shorts?!?

I'm 56, so not that old but what happened to common decency
Old 07-06-2015, 03:36 PM

It seems that people are now saying "I don't care about myself, it's all about comfort." At what point does comfort trump self-respect? Unless a slob is unusually unkempt, I don't pay much attention any more, but sometimes I'll see an outfit that's so outrageous it makes me wonder how the wearer stood in front of the mirror and said, "Hey, lookin' good!"
Old 07-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

I do believe there is a way to be comfortable and look okay. There are nice looking pull on pants and tops that don't look "shlumpy" if you get my drift. I don't wear anything that is tight on me, and I like to think I look "pulled together". Not talking expensive. I am Petite and Walmart doesn't usually have my size but there is some nice stuff even there. I shop sale racks almost exclusively. Granted, I am not disabled and have transportation but everyone on this board has internet and there are many options available. My best girlfriend is "fluffy" I like to say, but really she is obese. She shops on line and looks good and is comfortable. It can be done. I think it is about personal pride if that is the right expression.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 PM

I would have to say this about a LOT of women, girls, men and boys. I see a lot of these, even in our small town, and it never ceases to amaze me in what they walk out of the house wearing. I don't dress particularly well, but at least my bare butt isn't showing, even when bending/kneeling, my boobs are in danger of falling out of my shirt, and my belly is covered.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 PM

When I am at home, or at the cabin, I wear t-shirts, pajama shorts, and pajama pants, and walk around in Speedo slides. However...I NEVER go out in public dressed like that. I always wear a dressy type top...short or long sleeved, not sleeveless! (hate my upper arms!!) I wear jeans, or dressy athletic pants...no shorts. I'm 64 and just like to dress "appropriately"! I wonder if some of these people look in the mirror and think "Boy...I look great!!"