Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore? >

Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore?

Does anyone get embarrassed about appearance anymore?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 AM

You guys, are a hoot!!!. I love it. Next week, I will be 70 and I try to dress properly when I go out. I still work and my work clothes are casual. I still like to keep my body covered up, gosh, even when dear hubby and I go fishing, and out on the lake, no one sees you, but I want to be covered up and look decent. As my old grandmother would say, you never know when you will be in an accident, and you would not want anyone at the hospital to see you looking like rags, actually, it was to put on clean under-ware everyday, but you get the jest.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
I really don't care what people wear but I do care that they do not dress to look like sausages. Every bulge is bigger, the tighter the clothing. I am embarrassed for them. And don't even get me started on those toooooo short and very tight shorts.
This is my pet peeve too. If you are fat
Old 07-07-2015, 08:12 AM

Oops hit the return too soon :-) anyway if you are fat DO NOT WEAR TIGHT CLOTHES. You don't have to wear a mumu, but something looser would be much more becoming.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I just reread my posting of yesterday, I beg to correct something-- my boobs ARE NOT IN DANGER OF FALLING OUT.
I figured that is what you meant, but I did have a good chuckle when I read the original post!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
When I was in high school the girls wore skirts or dresses, never slacks, except for one special day when we were allowed to wear "capris" - remember them? We wore nylons with garter belts and shoes with heels, usually princess heels but sometimes 3-inch heels. And the hair styles! It took me 45 minutes every morning just to get my hair right, and I was one of those who didn't "rat" it. So while I feel that there are now too many who show too much, I wouldn't want to go back to the 60's for my wardrobe.
I could not have said it better. I've been retired since 1996 and I still wake up at 5:30a.m. as that was the time I had to get up so that I could do the hot roller thing for my hair. Now I wear nothing that has to be dry cleaned and very few things that need ironing.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 AM

I know when we gain weight things don't look good but I live in an area where a certain culture wears everything so tight you wonder why they bother to dress at all. Then there are the gobs of flesh escaping everywhere, mostly from the top. It can get pretty disgusting. Being overweight is no excuse to look like you put ten pounds of potatoes in a five pound sack. Buy bigger clothes or lose weight. But you see, these people buy them to fit that way, they think it's sexy. I'm talking old women here as well! And the make up....don't get me started!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 AM

I agree with all of posts here. People should care what they look like in public. You don't have to dress up but jeans & a nice shirt that covers you would be nice. If you are ready for bed then stay home & go to bed. Go out when you get dressed in the morning. Also clean hair & a shower doesn't cost much
Old 07-07-2015, 09:40 AM

I know when we gain weight things don't look good but I live in an area where a certain culture wears everything so tight you wonder why they bother to dress at all. Then there are the gobs of flesh escaping everywhere, mostly from the top. It can get pretty disgusting. Being overweight is no excuse to look like you put ten pounds of potatoes in a five pound sack. Buy bigger clothes or lose weight. But you see, these people buy them to fit that way, they think it's sexy. I'm talking old women here as well! And the make up....don't get me started!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

As long as these are the worst "offenses" some people commit - I think we should thank them for giving us something to talk about!!

I really don't mind if someone shows up in a hardware store, garage, plant nursery, etc - in work clothes that may be dirty if they are in the middle of a project and need to pick up parts or supplies for whatever they are doing.

I do mind - a lot - if someone is planning to try on clothing and they are not "fresh as a just-opening-up daisy!"

But I do agree - some sights are less attractive than others. The one that bothers me is the T-shirt that is too short to cover a very big, very protruding belly. (Usually seen on a man wearing sweat pants or elastic waist shorts.)
Old 07-07-2015, 10:59 AM

What a hoot! I live close to a beach, you wouldn't believe what I see at the grocery store. Especially Walmart. But, they aren't home, they are on vacation. So,I cut them some slack.