Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Your Husband Help With Chores?

Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    That's funny! I can relate. Mine can be helpful if he wants to. The problem is getting him to want to.
    Same here! I've picked up a terrible cold,(from DGS). Yesterday I felt pretty bad and didn't really do anything. He did load the dish washer, but that's as far as he goes with the dishes except he does unload the dishwasher if I run it. He usually takes out the trash. It has been evolving since he retired. I doubt it will ever be 50/50, but one thing in my favor, mostly if I ask, he will do things. :lol:

Blog Entries
    When we got married, I was cleaning and taking the load of clothes to the laundry room at the apartments. My DH was watching sports on TV. I had it! I dropped the laundry in front of him and said, "If I have to work outside of this house, you have to work inside of it too - or I quit my job". I have never had to ask him to help me again. We work great together.

Banned
    ditto...............but I only let him on the weekends. I am a stay at home mom and contracted quilter so I don't work weekends. So he does all of the chores on the weekends. What a good hubby. He family thinks I am mean for letting him do it. What they don't understand is I can't stop him and it is easier to let him than fight with him. I do all of the work during the week and he thinks the hot meals and clean house is worth him cleaning up on the weekends if needed. I personally would let most of it wait until monday while he is at work but he doesn't like to leave me with a lot to do...best hubby I could ask for. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    My husband cooks, cleans, mows, cleans the car, loves to go food shopping, snowblower, trash, dump, cleans toilets, laundry. Pretty much everything...I do ask him not to put stuff in the dryer or fold clothes and he does not like to sweep...but he vacuums...I have no complaints except when he cleans my sewing room...looks great but I can't find a thing, and he does tend to buy the same foods...unless I give him a list and a recipe.

My husband is in charge of the dishwasher. He loads, runs and unloads as it is needed. Does a fair job on pots and pans, but hey it is better than no help at all. He also keeps the trash can emptied and makes sure the big can is at the curb for pick-up on Tues.

Jim
    Being the husband and in my own defense...my wife and I have always had chores that are done to keep everything flowing and we pick up each others slack if need be. Its not a competition or to see who does more or less, its give and take. We both clean in the house and both are gardeners so we also love doing things outdoors. I make tops..she does the quilting. She asked for a dishwasher yrs. ago and I said "no way...we had two and you never used them(kids)". Again in my defense...in our new home we have a nice dishwasher,wasn't room in the kitchen before for one. Guess it works for us...we've been married almost 37 yrs.

DH will do dishes, food shopping, and vacuuming. He can make a mean breakfast, but won't attempt dinner-type stuff. He seems to be afraid to touch the washer. He thinks he's going to break it. His mother did his laundry before we were married, and I think she considered that her turf. Like others have said, he'll do stuff that I ask him to. Otherwise he'll watch sports all day. :)

Work facinates my husband. He can sit and watch it for hours. I can't get him to do anything without raising H***. He was laid off about 2 years ago and would really like to stay retired but we just can't afford it. I'm retired too but I don't intend to go back to work and then come home and do all the housework too. Sorry for the rant but it's a sore spot with me.

Blog Entries
    My DH is retired and I work full time so he does all the home stuff, which is the cooking, cleaning, yard work etc. The only thing I do is my own laundry (that is a result of the pink bra episode) :-D . Supper is usually on the table when I get home from work and he lets me surf the QB in the evenings and play with my quilt stuff on the weekends. We have been married 37 years. He's a keeper.

My husband is a wonderful guy. He wants to do his laundry - did while I was working part time, but I feel it's somethin I WANT to do and now that I am home full time he let's me ;). Our boys do their own laundry and help with chores. One day they will be a great help to their wives!! My husband and I share most chores.... he'll clean the bathroom and help with other things inside when I ask him to - we both do outside stuff...

Since my husband retired, he has been "helping" inside the house. At first I fought it... I had pink undies (these were white) from his inability to sort colors from whites.. I had shrunken sweaters because he doesn't have time to read labels and I had VERY linty sweaters (washed with my fabrics pieces). I've learned to relax about it all. If he ruins something, he'll just have to pay for a new one. THAT has helped him learn the rules.

One thing I noticed about men is that they love to use the machines in the house. He'll vacumn but not dust, he'll load the dishwasher and turn it on but never wants to handwash anything. Loves the laundry. It's taken me about 10 years but I'm okay with what he does now. Gives me more time in the sewing room and gives him something to do. Best thing of all is he has learned to cook and he's really good at it.

Hubby has been retired for 5 year now and he does all the housework except....I cook, wash the floors and do the bathrooms...he does everything else...oh I bath the dogs and feed them most of the time....now that is a lot isn't it?

all he does at home is mow the lawn when it needs it and fixes things that break cause he does a lot at work you see we manage a trucking business and he does all the fixen that needs to be done like welding and fixing the engine and other things that go with the job...

Yes, my husband is a great help.

What? Excuse me? Sorry, I just came in from snow blowing the driveway for the second time and my ears and eyes are snow crusted from the wind blowing the snow in my face - hubby will be home soon. (I'm on winter break) MMM, I'll answer after I defrost myself in front of the stove while I cook dinner. Darn, just remembered my sheets are in the dryer! :)

My husband has a new response when I ask him for help/assistance/whatever..... I'll do it... eventually

My husband is great! Yes he does help. But, he does leave things laying around all the time. lol We do have many conversations about that!

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou
    Work facinates my husband. He can sit and watch it for hours.
    Thanks for the laugh . I'd never heard that before. :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    Mine can be helpful if he wants to. The problem is getting him to want to.
    Mine usually wants something when he does help out or he's just in it for himself. Example: He'll do laundry and only do his. If I did that it'd be WW3 in the house I'm sure. When I do laundry I do for the both of us. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell
    What? Excuse me? Sorry, I just came in from snow blowing the driveway for the second time and my ears and eyes are snow crusted from the wind blowing the snow in my face - hubby will be home soon. (I'm on winter break) MMM, I'll answer after I defrost myself in front of the stove while I cook dinner. Darn, just remembered my sheets are in the dryer! :)

My husband has a new response when I ask him for help/assistance/whatever..... I'll do it... eventually
    hilarious!!! Thanks for the laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Being the husband and in my own defense...my wife and I have always had chores that are done to keep everything flowing and we pick up each others slack if need be. Its not a competition or to see who does more or less, its give and take. We both clean in the house and both are gardeners so we also love doing things outdoors. I make tops..she does the quilting. She asked for a dishwasher yrs. ago and I said "no way...we had two and you never used them(kids)". Again in my defense...in our new home we have a nice dishwasher,wasn't room in the kitchen before for one. Guess it works for us...we've been married almost 37 yrs.
    I am so happy for you both. My DH has passed on and I miss him so much. God bless you both and Happy New Year.
    PS He was a great cook and so is our son and son's father-in-law! The women in our family just aren't very good at that! Weren't we lucky to find the guys we did!
    PPS and now who wants to cook for one!

Blog Entries
    My husband hates clutter and I'm sort of immune to it so he picks up more than I do, but I do the actual cleaning of stuff and since I'm a stay at home, I do most of the cooking, and he's not allowed to do laundry. I wish he'd do the kids' bedtime routine more because we only get so many chances to read to them before it's no longer so special to them. He works mostly from home so sometimes I wish for a little alone time but it's also nice to have him here to help, especially since he said he'd cook dinner tonight because I'm not feeling well.

My husband is the greatest guy, always willing to help out, the one thing he does everyday is clean up the kitchen after we eat and I really appreciate that.

He'll do anything if I ask him, but only if I ask. He takes care of the outside things. Once in a while I'll mow because I don't work full time in the summer, so that helps him out.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 20 years ago. I was in a lot of pain, worked all week, came home on evenings and weekends and cleaned and did all the 'stuff' that needed to be done. And then there were the kids...

Mind you, DH had his own set of 'stuff' that needed to be done - lawn, house maintenance, car maintenance. He was already doing his share.

Finally, after months of this routine, I said to my husband, "Darling, I can either work (for money) or I can clean and take care of the house. I can't do both. You choose which one I do."

He chose me working; that was a good choice because of how much I was making. I told him to hire someone to clean the house once a week, but he didn't like the idea of a stranger in the house. So he took on housekeeping. I still had to cook and do dishes, but that was ok. He added laundry to his list of chores because his workshop shares space with the washer and dryer. He took over dusting because my allergies got really bad, dusting sets them off. And that's even with the allergy meds!

Now that we're retired, I have talked him into being my "Salad Man". He makes a good salad.

I am so lucky to have him!

Blog Entries
    My DH is a much better housekeeper than I. He is neater; I have a 'high tolerance of clutter.' He does the floors 90% of the time, more than half of the marketing, and he does some cooking, too. He makes a curry that is divine! He also looks after the vehicles, mends the fences, takes hay out to the sheep, picks up the livestock feed......And finds time to make me a cup of tea and bring me flowers for days that end in 'Y.'
    I do the laundry, 90% of the cooking, 95% of the dish washing, and have no complaints at all!

Quote Originally Posted by maybe
    He'll do anything if I ask him, but only if I ask. He takes care of the outside things. Once in a while I'll mow because I don't work full time in the summer, so that helps him out.
    This was going to be about my exact response, but as I was still reading this I hear the vacuum start up in the bedroom, made me laugh. I have a keeper, and he does about 1/2 of the cooking, and he makes bread.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast