Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dog owners ... about washing kitchen floors - what do you recommend?

Dog owners ... about washing kitchen floors - what do you recommend?

Well, unless I buy a new mop head every three washes, this just isn't going to work out, lol.

What do you use to every day mop your kitchen floors? Not hard wood, just regular old kitchen and bathroom linoleum. Does the swiffer wet jet or similar type mop work? I need something that I can throw away the pad every couple of times and that will actually clean and not just wet the floor. I do have an old Hoover for floor washing but that is impractical for every day use. I tried to get DD to wipe his paws each time or consider outside boots, but she just laughed, lol.

Help! What do you use?
    Nancy

Just keep going!

I think you should just use DD!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

I have old towels I use for everyday for the floors when the dogs leave little paws.

I have 3 dogs.

Then throw them in the wash and reuse them and dry outside.

I use bleach in them too.
    Have a nice day and a safe one too!

I cut up old towels and leave them on the floor to use for wipeups of paw prints and water blow mishaps. It was a tip given by Heloise - take a towell and pad it or use two layers and keep it on the kitchen floor. You can put your foot on it to use to clean whatever hits the floor and you don't have to constantly bend over. Have 2 or three of them so you can just throw it in the wash and grab another one to use. Works great in this old country house.

Blog Entries
    I have old terry hand towels that I wipe the dog's feet with before she even gets to the kitchen. "Give me paw -- Good Girl, etc." I have a hook by the back door (inside) and nail the old girl before she even gets to the first step to the kitchen, and I hang the towel on that and when it gets dirty, throw it in the rag wash and start with another towel.

When I wash the floor, it is with the traditional pail and Pinesol on the hands and knees. My husband always got mad at me - "Why don't you use a mop?" Mop meaning the sponge thing that you push something down on it and it takes the water out! I don't use a mop because I want to get in the corners and you can't clean a corner with a mop. It takes a scrub rag and a finger to get into the corners. He didn't understand that, but he gave up on it and let me do my thing. I'll use my hands and knees as long as I can, but I don't think it'll be too much longer. Arthritis has taken a pretty good hold on my hands and the knees are getting tired of moving around on the kitchen and bathroom floors.

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I have a mop similar to the swiffer device. However, it's refillable with your own cleaning solutions and I have 2 different towel-type pads for it. The head itself has little teeth to grip the pads. Very flat so I can get under the cabinet edges. Toss the pads into the wash. It works well on both my linoleum and ceramic flooring. Like the fact that I'm not constantly buying pads/covers or bottles of solution.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I have a mop similar to the swiffer device. However, it's refillable with your own cleaning solutions and I have 2 different towel-type pads for it. The head itself has little teeth to grip the pads. Very flat so I can get under the cabinet edges. Toss the pads into the wash. It works well on both my linoleum and ceramic flooring. Like the fact that I'm not constantly buying pads/covers or bottles of solution.
    What's the name/brand?

I never liked the Swiffer stuff. Didn't like the chemicals and I thought it left the floor sticky. I bought the Mystic Mop a few years ago. The pads are reusable and washable. I keep a solution of water/vinegar/Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle for quick cleanups from dirty paws or spilled food. I also wipe the dog's paws when we come in from outside.
    http://www.amazon.com/MysticMaid-Mys.../dp/B000941CT0
    Pat

Having a very large dog, and prior I had two Saint Bernards who both would go mud bogging, I can feel your pain. I thought I would go crazy trying to keep the floor even remotely clean. I thought about the Swiffer but could not embrace the disposable pad costs and "green" issues. I found the answer to my floor issue, when I found a Libman mop that looks like the Swiffer , but has a reusable washable pad. I bought an extra pad so I could have one ready and one in the wash.

We have a dachsund and she has been trained if I have a towel in my hand she comes in and patiently waits for me to dry her off and wipe her feet. She's very good about it because she doesn't like to be wet.

Some caution about the Swiffer chemicals and pets. I bought a mop at Dollar General that has removeable pads. I bought several, and throw them in the wash weekly. I also use a towel during very wet weather, and my dog rolls over, when I say, lets wipe your feet. A dog biscuit is always the reward. I only use plain water. My dog is too precious to ever chance a chemical. Also, beware, grapes, onions, and garlic are killers for dogs.

Old towels are a dog owner's best friend.

When it's muddy out, I lay a couple in front of the back door to catch the worst of it. When I see tracks, I stand on one of the towels and shuffle my way over the tracks and then toss it in the wash.

Is the floor perfectly clean? Heck no. But it's clean enough until the next set of tracks get laid down. I have probably 20 "dog towels" I keep in the laundry room.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I love the micro fiber cloths my DH gets to wash his truck and my jeep. I just clamp them on to a Swiffer mop I have and use those. I use them for dishes also which are kept in a separate drawer with dish towels. The others are in a rag drawer. I use white vinegar and a teaspoon of Dawn on my floors (kitchen and bath). If I could find any Spic 'n' Span I'd use it. I'm not going to order it on line.

I have the shark steam mop I use once a week just add water no chemicals and then just use old towels for muddy paw prints and spills lay towels on floor and push with my feet

Blog Entries
    I also use washable micro fiber pads on my swiffer, Kmart also sells their brand of pads for the swiffer wet mop that are a whole lot cheaper than swiffer pads. I also use a solution of white vinegar, rubbing alcohol and blue dawn and that works well. I have a rick if you want to fill the swiffer bottle with your own solution. If you bring a small amount of water to boil in a small pot and put the top of the bottle in it for a few seconds, you can remove the cap and fill it with anything

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I have just a foam mop and I use vinegar and dawn for mopping the floors on those "mud " days when you can see the dog prints on the floor. Also have a carpet piece then a towel for my avatar to step on and get her mud wiped off ..
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

My dogs get a belly rub and paw wipe every time it's wet outdoors. I keep an old wash cloth on my wood kitchen floor to get up little drops. To clean it well, just wet wash cloth/hands and knees.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I have 4 dogs that burst thru the door all at once rain or shine and a white kitchen floor. . So my libman mop with 3 extra washable pads is my favorite tool during rainy weather!
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

It is easier to clean the dog's paws then the floor.
    Anna Quilts

I use a steamer with only water, no chemicals. My dog likes to like the floor -so I have to keep it safe.
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    It is easier to clean the dog's paws then the floor.
    Not when you are trying to wrestle a 165 lb. Saint Bernard.

Blog Entries
    I don't have a dog anymore but I sure do have everyday spots on my tile floor. I use vinegar and water in a spray bottle. (also on my real wood floors!) I use a Swiffer type mop. I use old wash cloths pushed into the holes. (may have to use a screwdriver or something flat to get cloth to stay in the holes!) I use each cloth several times! When I get enough of them I simply wash and start over again... Really easy and easy on the pocketbook as everything is re-useable. These wash clothes are kept separate from the FACE WASHING ones!! Happy Mopping !

I have an O'Cedar ProMist Microfiber Spray Mop and I love it. It's light weight and so easy to move about. The mop head is flexible which makes it easy to mop under counter edges or tables and anything to big to be moved about. The mop pad is held onto the mop with velcro and is easy to remove for cleaning. The mop pad washes our easily in the bathroom sink or can be thrown into the washing machine if it's extra, extra dirty. The water or cleaning fluid container is located on the handle and is easy to refill. I have had mine for almost 5 yeas and I love, love it. It costs around $20 but is well worth every penny. The mop pads wear well and although replacement pads are available for around $8.00 I've never had to replace mine. I have lots of traffic in and out of my my house on a daily basis plus 2 dogs who go in and out all day long. I believe this is the mop you are looking for. Check them out.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Having a very large dog, and prior I had two Saint Bernards who both would go mud bogging, I can feel your pain. I thought I would go crazy trying to keep the floor even remotely clean. I thought about the Swiffer but could not embrace the disposable pad costs and "green" issues. I found the answer to my floor issue, when I found a Libman mop that looks like the Swiffer , but has a reusable washable pad. I bought an extra pad so I could have one ready and one in the wash.
    I love the Libman's mop / dustmop. But Lori buy more pads to keep on hand they will be hard to get in the near future. I don't know why but their pad does not leave streaks. I even use it to wash the outside windows. I buy one or two every time I see them. I have made some from the pattern using old towels and T-shirts to wash the roof of the car. The handle is longer then a broom stick.

I tried old towels inside the door. They (four little ones) just walk around them or shove them aside. Clever little rascals.
    All my grand-children have paws.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast