Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
dolls and stuffed animals for dementia patients? >

dolls and stuffed animals for dementia patients?

dolls and stuffed animals for dementia patients?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 AM

Default dolls and stuffed animals for dementia patients?

My group was asked if we could make dolls and stuffed animals for a local assisted living facility that specializes in caring for those with alzhiemers and dementia. And, since dolls used to be my speciality before I realized that children don't really like dolls any more-but I digress.

I've done some searching on the net, and therapy dolls seem to be the new thing to help those with problems with memory.

I've been playing phone tag iwith the lady who requested this project. All I know is she want's them to be washable, at least on the gentle cycle.

Have any of you made dolls that will go into the wash? Which pattern should I be looking at? I'm not sure if the dolls I made in the past would be good after they washed-more for the yarn hair then the sewing

Thanks

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-25-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: pm to member
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 AM

There is a QB member named wordpaintervs who makes dolls for very sick kids. I'm not sure if they would be washable but you might send her a PM with your question.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM

Thank you so much, I knew I saw photos of her dolls but couldn't find them when I did a search before I posted my message. I just checked, and her dolls might be washable. I'll send her a PM about her pattern.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

You might want to find out if the people like them squishy or firm? or maybe that's an individual preference?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-25-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Maybe for hair you could sew on a short bob of applique fabric, stitched to the head. Therapy dolls also need zippers, snaps, velcro, etc. Things to fiddle with and fabrics with lots of texture. You could put beans or lentils in the dolls feet. Everything needs to be sewed on tight. Alzheimer's and autistic people also love lap quilts with textures and things to fiddle with. Thank you for thinking of them.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-25-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 PM

I know, the hair is the problem. I had donated about 50 dolls a few years ago to an organization that supports young cancer patients and their siblings. (I had surgery and had 6 weeks of recovery. I cut out several of a pattern while I was in bed and I'd sew for a few minutes until it hurt and then go back to bed. By the time I went back to work I had dolls all over the place) One develpmentally challenged boy picked one of the dolls up and immediately stuck the yarn head in his mouth. Then his mother glared at me like it was my fault he stuck yarn in his mouth.

Things to play with-how about tassles? Our group received a donation from a design studio. One of the things they gave us was a book of about 3" samples of different tassles and decorative trims. They are so small that we havne't figured out what to do with them. But sewing them to doll clothes might work if they'd wash well. I guess the best thing to do is create a little, see what works and what doesn't.

I can't wait to get started. This is going to be so much fun. And a great way to use up my stash.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM

If I remember correctly, there are some baby toys that have things to touch and feel. Some were just triangular tabs of fabric, probably doubly thick, and well sewn on. They also had a crinkle fabric that made a little noise when "crushed" in your fist.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
My daughter works with special needs children and your dolls would be perfect if you could change the hair.. Maybe for hair you could sew on a short bob of applique fabric, stitched to the head. Therapy dolls also need zippers, snaps, velcro, etc. Things to fiddle with and fabrics with lots of texture. You could put beans or lentils in the dolls feet. Everything needs to be sewed on tight. Alzheimer's and autistic people also love lap quilts with textures and things to fiddle with. Thank you for thinking of them.
I think that you are on the right track about things to "fiddle" with and lots of texture. But, I don't think beans or lentils in the feet of the dolls would wash very well.

Maybe doing some sewing of strips of fabric on the dolls' heads (think rag quilts or chenille) might work. I think that satin ribbon "taggies" would be a nice texture on the dresses.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I wonder if using corduroy or velveteen would work for the hair. Of course, it would be a 'short haircut' look - - - -
Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 AM

I had a link to my flickr photos, but it was removed by mods. I didn't realize that photo links count as a personal website. Sorry about that.