Done composting

Old 06-17-2018, 10:37 AM

Default Done composting

I started a compost pile about 10-12 years ago. Really didn't yet understand what not to put in. Last week I finally used it all up and took everything apart. Still a little soil in the bottom so put it in a bucket to put around my flowers. There were two lollipop sticks from 10+ years ago, still good as new. Wonder what are they made.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I started a compost pile about 10-12 years ago. Really didn't yet understand what not to put in. Last week I finally used it all up and took everything apart. Still a little soil in the bottom so put it in a bucket to put around my flowers. There were two lollipop sticks from 10+ years ago, still good as new. Wonder what are they made.
When we lived in Seattle, I got a "Green Cone" from the city. Later on, they made a second one available to homeowners. All we had to do was sit through a short lecture on use and why we would use one. When we moved down here to the Boonies, I dug out the containers and transfered the composting material to two large garbage cans and hauled them down the highway in the back of my van, all windows open. We sold the house, but I was not giving up my compost. I think of compost as kitchen gold.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 PM

Not sure why the lollipop sticks stayed intact but peach and cherry pits don't compost easily. I usually wait several years before I go through my pile and those pits still looked like they did when I threw them in.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Gee, in Florida I had a concrete block compost pit for veggie waste, egg shells etc and all I ended up with was dark Sand....no joke! Guess I didn’t do it right.

Lollipop sticks were probably compressed paper
Reduction with heaven only knows what else added....glue, plastic etc

Last edited by solstice3; 06-18-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I compost my garden waste but don't bother with kitchen waste. I have a small ceramic canister from Walmart with a charcoal liner in the lid. I line it with a plastic bag and all my kitchen waste goes in it and out to the garbage each week. I do put all my jars, cans and cardboard products in my recycle bins for pick up.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:38 PM

True4uca - what a surprise to see where you are from. Are you saying that you don't compost anymore?

Elan you are right that is exactly what it is. Our soild is very sandy, it needs organic matter and I don't have enough.

We have just bought a wee place and I am so glad after being in the RV for almost 2 years to have some dirt to play in. Even tho we are in the middle of a reno, I can't not spend time in the garden. I am pit composting so I don't attract any wild critters and have made several trips to the seashore for seaweed. Just using it to top dress right now. It was late when we took possession but I found some zucchini and some cucumber seedlings so I planted them.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:35 PM

When we retire up north, I will no doubt be composting. DH is planning a large garden, so I know that the compost will be necessary to ensure a healthy crop. I've heard that basically anything organic, with the exception of meats and fats, can be added to the compost pile. I will need to do some reading on the best way to compost. Since I am in my early 60's now, I am tempted to get one of the "compost tumblers", so I don't have to pitchfork a pile on the ground. Has anyone used a tumbler type composter? Do they work? TIA
Old 07-19-2018, 03:08 PM

I am no longer composting for I have woodchucks! Eating my veggie garden!
One year, I dug a hole and threw in my veggie scraps and covered it with dirt. That fall, I was looking for a place to plant daffodils and remembered what I had done in the spring with the veggie scraps. Dug a hole for the bulbs and found the dirt a rich black and the veggie scraps had totally decomposed. I have also just dug holes and or trenches and buried the scraps and that has helped to improve the soil.
Have never used a tumbler composter.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:38 PM

I have a double bin rotating compost bin and use it regularly. I think the compost really helps my garden soil.
And I take composting one step further by composting with worms! They are red wigglers, and I have a 5 tray compost bin set up in my utility room. There is no odors, and we joke that my composting worms are another pet. My husband even feeds them when I am traveling. My grandson thinks they are really cool, and tells everyone his a Grandma has worms!! LOL!������
Old 07-20-2018, 04:09 AM

I used to put my vegetable & fruit scraps, coffee grounds (filters too), egg shells etc in a plastic pail with a lid. Once a week, I buried the contents in my garden. I never noticed an odor, I assume because the pail was sealed. Now I have a different house and my garden is part of a community garden so I don’t do this anymore.