Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Downton Abbey new series

I too love Downton Abbey and the new season looks interesting..........sort of a Gatsby influence.......
    that castle is amazing....cannot imagine actually "living" in such a breathtaking place.........
    I loved the wedding dress...very appropriate for the age of this saga........better than some of ther "now" brides, with their "girls" jumping all over the place and body art being featured.....
    Love the demure look of that bridal gown.......
    Went to the actual site of the castle and looked at their gift shop offerings...yuck....tee shirts and baseball caps...how tacky...why not some lovely scarves or long necklaces or custom jewelry or something more feminine....who uses stationary nowadays.......

Quote Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
    I happened to catch the hour before that explained the history of the castle where DA is filmed. Really interesting.
    Here's the web site if you are interested: http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/
    This was a great program. This castle belonged to the man who funded Howard Carter when he found King Tut's tomb. The show will be visiting other British homes and castles -- including the childhood home of Princess Di.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I really love this program but missed the episode, watched a murder mystery instead. But just sat here for 2 hrs watching it. I like it because of the way they all lived, such elegance! But, alas, it all came to pass, as all good things do. They learned to live like "common folk"? I'm sure it was such a change.... I watched the program about the real place, how they have to supplement to make it all still run....
    It's kind of like these people that win a fancy house, they have the house alright, but they can't afford the upkeep, taxes, etc....
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 3 cats, Callie, Buddy & Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I recorded because it was going past my bedtime but I watched yesterday as soon as I got home from work. LOVE IT!
    I can't wait until episode 2 and 3 and 4......

I watched and was so impressed with the actors and their costumes. Would liked to live back then.

Well, I missed the middle 45minutes, (fell asleep) but liked the beginning and end. I am going to check out www.pbs.org that Liae_wanna_b_quilter mentioned.

Blog Entries
    yep, I'm in Colorado and went to CPT12.org and finally found it. didn't have to put in my zip code either.

Blog Entries
    It is so nice to watch a show at last with no fighting, no shooting, proper manners and so much sophication. I love the costumes. Such a fairy land of characters. I also love that the help is treated well, and that each character has his own story line to tell.
    Mary
    Mary
    Quilts cover us with warmth and love!
    Make quilts not war

I wanted to like the show so I rented the first season, but decided pretty soon that in spite of the beautiful castle and unique era it seemed like there was a lot of conniving, plotting and scheming, just like shows with modern settings. Hubby was watching with me and we decided we weren't into it. We do love the old British comedies though!
    :-)
    CAS

My DH is as big a fan as I am! I have seasons 1&2 on DVD (and I very, very seldom purchase any movies) and have watched them again. I've also loaned out to friends who missed it and they are now hooked. We are enjoying season 3. PBS will have each episode available to watch online the week following its broadcast -- go to the pbs.org website. Also, if you have Netflix, you can catch Season 1 right now as well if you missed it or want to see it again.

My daughter is part of an online craft group and she coordinated a Downton swap last year. Everyone came up with some fun items for their swap that fit the Downton theme.

Blog Entries
    British comedies are great, also love British murder mysteries. but then, i watch sub-titled European murder mysteries too. I just dont' find much of our shows to watch.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Stitchn...that sounds easy! I'll try it on our "forced" vacation when we have no TV. :-) That means no news 24/7 except what we read in the local paper. :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    We don't have a tv but when friends were talking about it this morning I looked it up on Amazon.
    It sounds very much like Upstairs Downstairs which I saw years ago.
    It is very much like it but I am a purist, there will never be another Upstairs Downstairs. Have you seen the new one? Okay but again, there will never be another Upstairs Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by tulip43 View Post
    I watched and was so impressed with the actors and their costumes. Would liked to live back then.
    I know this is British, but wife is American.......I wonder if there was income tax in that timeframe......wasn't that how so many more were able to acquire so much more wealth? Have to refresh my history memory............
    I too, love the elegance of that era, but would miss some of our "modern" ways of life.........like central heat/a/c, hot running water and more informed medical expertise......but then we too will be looked at in future times as provincial............

Blog Entries
    I think the British invented taxes!!!! did you see where France wants to raise their tax rate on the rich from 41% to 75% and Gerard Depardieu became a Russian citizen in order not to pay that much. he's already paid 145 million in taxes in the last few years.
    anyway, the Estate taxes are what gets you!!! one should be able to inherit without having it cut so much. shame. but Countries must run on something.

I did not like the new version of Upstairs Downstairs, maybe because I loved the first. I love all period show on PBS, Pride and Prejudice being one of my all time favorites. (I liked Jane Eyre too) Of course now DA is my all time favorite. I love the way they cast the actors, not by beauty or fame but by how they fit the characters, it makes the shows all more real!

looking forward to checking it out!

Blog Entries

Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I forgot Series 3, episode 1 of Downton Abbey was on last night and missed the first 45 minutes of it. But just now i was able to watch it online at my PBS station. anyone else catch it?
    I wouldn't miss it for the world. At first DH would leave the room and not watch, now he's the first to the TV to make sure our local PBS station is tuned in.

Blog Entries
    There was a segment on the Anderson Cooper show a week or so ago where they interviewed an audience member who said they have a shot of whiskey every time Lady Mary raises her eyebrows. They must be on the floor by the end of the show. Notice next time just how many times she does that :-)

I too was surprised at how plain the wedding dress was but I loved Maggie Smith & Shirley MacClaine!
    Lynn

I watched it on PBS online two nights ago - I am hooked on this show - so glad the new season is on again...Yay.

Blog Entries
    I started watching it on "Hulu"on my IPad.
    Linda

Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Oh, stink! I missed it...all caught up in the Seahawks football game!! Go, Hawks. I have no idea how to watch something online, but will see what I can figure out.
    So glad you're a Seahawk fan!!! Me, too - since I live in Seattle. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Seahawks!!!
    Also, I just got into DA because my DD wanted me to watch it. I sort of "caught up" by watching the recap on-line, but haven't seen the full episodes. Looking forward to the next show!! Also, - Go SeaHAWKS!!

Anne P
    Anne P
    Kindness counts.

Don't know when you'll get it, but there was a Christmas special shown on Christmas Day. We saw the third series late last year.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Blog Entries
    I too am hooked on the DA sreies. I was not disappointed in the first episode of season 3. At first I was disappointed in the wedding dress that Mary had on, but it was 1920. the flapper period. The dress fit the flapper era. The expense would have been the fabric of the dress. after WWI it was hard to get some textiles, and likely the gems were real on the dress. Shirley McClain was a hoot. Her and Maggie Smith made a great duo grandma's.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast