Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An early Happy Mother's Day >

An early Happy Mother's Day

An early Happy Mother's Day

Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 AM

Default An early Happy Mother's Day

A SPECIAL DAY
© Vickey Stamps 5-7-12

The years had gone by so quickly. He had wondered many times, where time could possibly
have gotten off too. In just a couple more months, he and his sweetheart would be married
for sixty-five years. They’d been blessed with four children, two of them girls. Now they
were great-great-grandparents. Even when they silently grew weary of the antics of the
little ones, even when the noise became almost too much to bear, they never complained.
Love lived in this house. There had never been any doubt about that.

They’d nearly lost a son in the war, and later a grandson, but though the fear and the tears,
they had survived. The years went on. They were almost eighty-five years old. Now he
was remembering the falling in love. They had wanted to marry. There had been no doubt
about that. Her parents liked him, and his own, loved her. Both parents wanted them to
wait. They were too young. They would not stay happy together for long with the struggles
that they would surely have to face. He didn’t have a good paying job, so how would they
manage? They wanted them to date others for awhile and be really sure. They both knew
they couldn’t be surer about anything, then they were, about the love, they had for each other.
They had a simple marriage, by the Justice of the peace, and never looked back. They’d
never been sorry.

He’d spent a lot of time trying to plan something special for Ruth, for Mother’s day. Just
a week to go and it would be here. He’d called the kids, thinking maybe they could get
together and do something special for their mother. They’d all had one reason or another
that they couldn’t do it this year. They all had other plans. Maybe they could have a
barbeque or something simple for Father’s day and they’d just combine the holidays.
He didn’t care about Father’s Day. He cared about Ruth. Didn’t they realize how old they
were each getting? What if his Ruth didn’t have another Mother’s day? He hadn’t said anything
to them but he was disappointed in every one of them. Out of four born to them, not one
could be counted on to help. Well, he’d just fix something up by himself.

There was that expensive restaurant over on Grand avenue he could take her too. He’d
been holding out some money and he’d get her some nice long stemmed roses. He’d get
those nice dark ones that made her think they were made of velvet, for they looked
that way. She always told him, when he’d given her one each birthday, that they smelled
so nice. He’d get her a whole dozen this time. Usually, he’d gotten a simple bouquet at the
store for different occasions. This time he’d do more. She’d hinted for what she wanted,
but gotten nowhere.

Ruth had finally told him last night, in an unusually quiet voice, her eyes perhaps a bit
moist, that perhaps they’d just stay home and enjoy the evening together. Maybe they’d
call out for some home delivered food, and watch an old movie together. She thought she’d
just as soon not do anything special this year. He remembered her mentioning last week,
that he should ask the kids over. Maybe, they could have a picnic in the little park with
the duck pond, and just keep things simple. Wouldn’t it be nice for them to all be
together? He’d finally had to tell her that the kids had other plans for the day. After all
they had lives of their own. It would be OK. Ruth had nodded in agreement, and gone
silent for the rest of the evening. By the next day, and as always, she’d put on a brave
smile and accepted life as it was.

Tim had fixed breakfast for her, and carried it to her, so she’d at least have breakfast
in bed. Despite her saying she wanted nothing; he’d still gotten the roses. He’d kissed her,
as if they were young again, and laid the flowers beside her pillow. The day had gone by,
like any other day and other than him trying to be attentive and supportive, it was just like
any other day. They both ignored the silent phone. The kids hadn’t even bothered to call.
He felt like telling them what he thought of it all, but he knew his Ruth would not want that,
so he’d left the situation as it was.

At last, at six, that night, a call had come. ‘Could he and Mom help them out,’ their grandson
had asked. They were at that fancy new restaurant with his boss and her wife, and not having
been able to get a baby-sitter, were now having problems. Could he and grandma dress
up and come there to help them out. ‘Selfish young pup!’ Tim had thought. He’d asked Ruth
and of course, she was willing to help. They’d dressed up as quickly as they could.

Tim and Ruth had barely gotten out the door, before the limousine arrived. The chauffeur
hurried to the steps of their home, telling them they had a grand evening ahead of them.
A great evening indeed, for a small section of the fancy restaurant had been reserved, and
everyone in the family was there to welcome them, to cheer them as they walked in.
The children had planned it well in advance. It would have to do for both Mother’s Day
and Father’s Day, but wasn’t that okay? Maybe they could have a barbeque on the
Dad’s day thing. Yes indeed. Maybe they would do just that...

LIFE WAS GOOD
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM

What a wonderful, touching story! Thank you! And happy (early) Mother's Day y'all!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM

That brought tears to my eyes.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Made me think of my grandparents,they were married like 68 years, thank you an happy early mothers day
Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 AM

oh so beautiful. what a great story.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 AM

I am now sitting here bawling my eyes out..................what an incredibly touching story. My wish would be for ALL Mothers & Fathers too on their day, to be treated to such a loving & caring special day !!
Tk you for sharing this very moving story.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM

Thank you for your replies and so happy it was enjoyed by all. It is my newest Mother's Day story written yesteray. Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms

Vickey Stamps
Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM

That was a great story. Made me cry
Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM

thanks so much for your reply. I'm glad you like my story.

Vickey Stamps
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Glad it had a happy ending cause I wanted to stop crying.