Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
EEeeee gads!! What is it???? >

EEeeee gads!! What is it????

EEeeee gads!! What is it????

Old 07-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Today I was outside watering my plants because of the scortching heat here. There are two pipes and a vent coming out of the side of my house. The vent looked like some furry animal was half in and half out!!! Went over and peeked under. Didn't know but got a stick and poked it. It was lint that had been collecting there for almost five years I guess, since we built our house that long ago.
I cleaned that out and then noticed a wasp going in the pipe near the vent. Looked in that next and saw a wasp's nest!!! Got my spray out and squirted it in there. About a half hour later went out and got a coat hanger and pushed it up . Pulled out a nest that was about 1 1/2 in. in diameter and about 6 in. long.
Thank goodness I saw all this activity. Surprised there wasn't any damage inside because of everything being clogged up.
Check your pipes and vents to make sure you don't have any problems in the future. Glad I accidentally saw this.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

eeegads, for sure! you will probably find that your clothes dry faster now :)
Old 07-23-2011, 03:20 PM

This is why some fires are started. It is VERY good you found it!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM

good job, just saved your house by cleaning out those vents,
Old 07-23-2011, 03:31 PM

I insisted that my vents be cleaned out before I moved into my apartment - management looked at me like I was crazy!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:33 PM

I would put some screening on the end of the vent.

And clean out the entire thing, under the dryer and in the vent itself with a long, long brush sold for just that one thing. I think it can also be used to clean out under the fridge, I keep forgetting that, and find a gallon or so of lint and cat hair when I do get around to sticking the brush under there.

Flylady sells a marvelous thing for it.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
Today I was outside watering my plants because of the scortching heat here. There are two pipes and a vent coming out of the side of my house. The vent looked like some furry animal was half in and half out!!! Went over and peeked under. Didn't know but got a stick and poked it. It was lint that had been collecting there for almost five years I guess, since we built our house that long ago.
I cleaned that out and then noticed a wasp going in the pipe near the vent. Looked in that next and saw a wasp's nest!!! Got my spray out and squirted it in there. About a half hour later went out and got a coat hanger and pushed it up . Pulled out a nest that was about 1 1/2 in. in diameter and about 6 in. long.
Thank goodness I saw all this activity. Surprised there wasn't any damage inside because of everything being clogged up.
Check your pipes and vents to make sure you don't have any problems in the future. Glad I accidentally saw this.
You need to keep an eye on your dryer,squirt that vint out with air could cause a fire.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:15 PM

LOL! Im sorry its not funny but I could see myself poking at it! And squeeling the whole time. Glad you and the pipe are ok, and its all better.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:48 PM

*shudder*
Old 07-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Oy! good thing you found it and took care of it!!!