Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: English pronunciation challenge

English pronunciation challenge

Here is a website for English pronunciation that is a bit of a challenge. Try it.

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/12/23/...pronunciation/

Blog Entries
    that was very interesting. thanks for sharing the link
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I've seen this before and still always get a little giggle when I hear the different pronunciation of schedule. Some pronounce it like shed jule and others pronounce it like sked jule. Oh well that's dialect for you!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I've seen this before and still always get a little giggle when I hear the different pronunciation of schedule. Some pronounce it like shed jule and others pronounce it like sked jule. Oh well that's dialect for you!
    and some say sked yule

Did anyone read that entire thing? I got half way through and decided who care how things a pronounced. the poem just bored me.

Blog Entries
    I thought it was delightful fun to read it. Thanks for posting. I love words and accents.

it was fun to read, but almost every English-speaking person will pronounce those words differently, depending on where they were born.

Blog Entries
    I read it all and found it interesting. I like word games. One thing that really bothers me is when news anchors (or likewise) pronounce the word "important" as "imported"; or "4-head" rather than "4-ed"; or, "in regards to" rather than "in regard to". Am I being too pickey? Now, don't send the Quilt Police to my house - LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sew Krazy Girl View Post
    I read it all and found it interesting. I like word games. One thing that really bothers me is when news anchors (or likewise) pronounce the word "important" as "imported"; or "4-head" rather than "4-ed"; or, "in regards to" rather than "in regard to". Am I being too pickey? Now, don't send the Quilt Police to my house - LOL!
    I have loved that poem. Read it more than 10 years ago. The more you read it, the easier it gets to make it actually sound like a rhyming poem. I think it is fascinating.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I loved it. Really made me think. I also looked up a few of the words in the dictionary as not only could I not pronounce them, I didn't even know what they meant. Gotta love the English language!

I love this poem! I haven't seen it in forever. It's a real tongue twister if you try to read it out loud!

Thanks for posting it.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for this link. I have an internet buddy from Aberstwth Wales that I shared it with. We have had a laugh riot comparing how she pronounces the words, vs how I say them. She told me she just loves my "American accent"! Lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I've heard that English is the most complicated language there is to learn. That really shows you that its true

Great poem, I felt like my head was going to explode!

If you liked this poem, some books that might interest you are: "Woe Is I" by Patricia T. O'Conner and" Eats, Shoots and Leaves". (Don't remember the author.) Who knew reading about grammar could be so funny.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher