Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: essential oils for healing

Blog Entries
    Whatever brand you go with be SURE it is organic! I am in healthcare.....
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    I've discovered coconut oil, though, for many uses. It's great for cooking and for the skin and I don't think there is any down side to it.
    I use coconut oil and yesterday I made my own coconut chocolate candy, this time I put in some slivered almonds--yummy!

Just because something says it is "organic" or "natural" doesn't mean it's necessarily good for you. Remember, cyanide is both organic and natural.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    Just because something says it is "organic" or "natural" doesn't mean it's necessarily good for you. Remember, cyanide is both organic and natural.
    Not the point I was making at all. Just saying, if you plan on using essential oils for ANY reason, be sure it is certified organic....I said nothing about "natural" as that is a meaningless term.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Cogito: no offense meant. Many people use the terms organic and natural interchangeably. Everyone who's posted had valid suggestions (ask your doctor, make sure of no interactions with Rx drugs, etc.). I am not against essential oils - people just need to be aware of potential problems/contraindications. I don't use oils, but I am a fan of using Arnica for bruising and ecchenachia for cold/flu. I agree, coconut oil is awesome for cooking (great on the "new" Paleo diets) and is wonderful as a hand cream. So sorry if I've offended you, Cogito, again, I meant no offense.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
    Check with Tacomama , altho I think you have to become a member to buy those. My Chiropractor sells some of a different brand too. Some grocery stores sell them , but I don't think they are as good.
    When I googled tacomama I get mex restaurants!

Blog Entries
    Anita, you didn't offend me, I was just clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread View Post
    I have read that apple cider vinegar is very good for lots of ailments including weight loss. Anyone tried it?
    I have gout...comes with terrible leg and/or foot cramps..apple cider vinegar is the only thing I've ever found that gets rid of them, and fast, usually within 2 or 3 minutes. I have a bottle in my car, and bedroom LOL...just takes a few tablespoons..I believe it's an old folk remedy.

interesting topic. I use essential oils,(from young living), coconut oil (ingest it, cook with it, use on skin and hair), apple cider vinegar,(1 T. in 8 oz water in the morning and also use it to soak in bath water), do Qigong, learned about upper cervical care and have been going to a chiropractor for the past few months. I had neck problems which I now believe came from having some teeth pulled. Much improved. recently began using Himalayan salt. (from (Solay Wellness), this is an excellent product. Use products from Global Light Networks. Use Miracle II products ( for shampoo, bathing, laundry, cleaning - the list can go on.) I use Nail Envy from OPI. strengthens my nails.

I have been using doTERRA essential oils for some time. They have had an amazing impact on the health of our family. It is so nice to have a product that gives such fast relief to so many issues, at our fingertips. Also, great to have on hand in case of emergencies. They are simply the best essential oils out there and I truly researched before I decided to sell them (to get them at wholesale). If you are interested check out my website... http://www.mydoterra.com/paulakuethen/ Happy Oiling!
    Sewblessed

There is another reason to avoid fresheners and diffused scents - especially if oil based. Given enough time, the oil can coat the air sacs in your lungs and make it difficult to breathe.

My SIL used mineral oil to moisturize the area around her nose for years. Then, breathing difficulties set in. Drs did a zillion tests, finally they took a biopsy of her lungs and found the air sacs were coated with oil.

They told her that she may improve her lung function over time if she stops using the mineral oil. Her response? "But I need it!"

The DR told her that using it would kill her, so she doesn't need it. That made her think about what he said.

Please be careful when using fresheners and diffused oil scents. Your long term health may depend on it.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Castor oil will kill planter warts. Just soak the pad on a band-aid with castor oil and put the band-aid on it. Put new band-aids on in the morning and before bed for 3 weeks.

It's cheap for you, there is no pain involved and the warts die.

If you have neuropathy in your feet, this method does not create a wound, either.

this
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Suz
    Regarding the leg cramps: put a partially used bar of soap between your bottom sheet and the mattress pad. Don't know how it works but it does.

Also, I have read that the Sunday afternoon professional athletes who get leg cramps are given a spoonful of mustard and the relief is instantaneous. I was having trouble and took the mustard to bed and when I got a cramp, tilted the spout and took some. Worked.

Lastly, try using the coconut oil on your toast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    When I googled tacomama I get mex restaurants!
    I think tacomama is the username of a member here.

I am one of those that swear by the oils. I have sinus issues as well as not being able to sleep well and the Young Living oils have fixed both problems as well as helped with several others along the way. I believe that as long as you use a high quality oil, it makes more difference. Not all of the oils are created equal, as is the same with everything.
    Michelle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Also, I heard that if not used correctly a neti pot(?) could cause some horrific thing that will eat the brain......
    You get the same results from using saline spray and while you can make it, it is so cheap to buy and it has helped me so much. I even went off allergy shots now.

There was a thread on here awhile back about pain I think and someone was telling about using oregano oil, it has tons of usage (also used in Dr Oz's home) so the cost is worth it. I forget what all of the things were but I was having pain on that lower fatty part of your back on both sides and after several doctors not knowing I was told it was muscle pain. I used the oregano oil and Arnica Gel (used by sports docs) and before I knew it and for the first time in months I had no pain. search here for the oregano oil. I buy all of my oils, arnica gel and vitamins from the health food store.
    Last edited by romanojg; 04-01-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2