eye patches

Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 AM

We found out yesterday that our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter has 'lazy eye' and is to wear an eye patch for a period of time every day for 3 months and then back to the doctors' for a follow-up. Her mother got these band-aid like eyepatches. Over her eyebrow? Yuck! I looked online and there are people that make eyepatches for kids, that attach to glasses. I thought I can fix something for my girl! She wouldn't leave last evening till her Grammy made her an eyepatch! She wore that band-aid like thing for all of 2 seconds and said that's it, Grammy make me one! So I got some scraps out and sewed one up quick. She loved it, as much as you can love it. This morning I made her a pink gingham one and it's a bit tight. She said it needs flower on the front and she would really like a patch just like the pirates wear! I have this feeling I'll make her black one and she won't wear any others. . ..
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM

You know what would be neat... embrod a eye on the front of the patch. that would be cute.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM

Good job Grammy! What we do for our grandkids! You will have to make her a bunch so she can be 'stylish' in all her outfits!

I'm glad she is taking this in stride and hope that it corrects the lazy eye.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM

gee that brings back bad memories for me, I had to do the same thing when I was little, both of my eyes were lazy..I had an operation when I was little to correct and it did not work, then when I was an adult I had another one and it has been ten years...when I get really tired one of my eyes goes lazy but at least people aren't looking behind them when you talk to them...I feel for your grand baby...but at least she has you to make her some designer patches...judos to you gram...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM

You're a good Granny!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
gee that brings back bad memories for me, I had to do the same thing when I was little, both of my eyes were lazy..I had an operation when I was little to correct and it did not work, then when I was an adult I had another one and it has been ten years...when I get really tired one of my eyes goes lazy but at least people aren't looking behind them when you talk to them...I feel for your grand baby...but at least she has you to make her some designer patches...kudos to you gram...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 AM

Nurse view: Please remember when making the patch there is no pressure directly on the eye itself. Even slight but consant pressure can leave lasting damage to sight. And the material is not one that will produce lint, like flannel or fleece, that could get into the eye. I think its wonderful you are trying to help.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Nurse view: Please remember when making the patch there is no pressure directly on the eye itself. Even slight but consant pressure can leave lasting damage to sight. And the material is not one that will produce lint, like flannel or fleece, that could get into the eye. I think its wonderful you are trying to help.
thank you for the tips! I did use washed flannel and wondered about the lint. The next ones will be 'plain.' I offset the straps so they are on the 'top' part of the patch.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM

Is anyone else still having problems with the QB being SLOW?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by icon17
Is anyone else still having problems with the QB being SLOW?
Yes...I thought it was just my pc