Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fad toys yes,but  what about "smells" from your childhood? >

Fad toys yes,but what about "smells" from your childhood?

Fad toys yes,but what about "smells" from your childhood?

Old 11-28-2009, 05:20 PM

The smell of my grandmother's basement. Must have been the detergent she used to use, but in any event, it was a distinctive odor and whenever I smell it, I go right to the basement of that old house in Massachusetts.

M
Old 11-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by chattypatty
The smell that will always make me feel nostalgic is fresh picked lilacs. Mom would fill the house with them in the spring and now I do.
Yes! Lilacs and lily of the valley...my mother and grandmother! Thanks for reminding me.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:41 PM

fireplace.. my dad made the biggest most dangerous fires in the entire neighborhood.. mom would almost fall over from dread (which makes kids want to fall over too) you "vil burnt the hoose down"... no he never did but that is what home smelled like a good wood burning fire.. I miss that. CA we have so many no fire days meaning you can have a fireplace but you cant use it on those days.. Thanksgiving was one of those.. sigh.. so when you light that log tonight.. take a good wiff .. that is me enjoying it vicariously next to you :)
Old 11-28-2009, 05:44 PM

ChattyPatty and Teacup need to come see me in the spring. I have an entire hedge of purple and white lilacs along the back of my yard. And an added bonus for Teacup, I use Dove soap. You could be in smell heaven! :lol:
Old 11-28-2009, 05:47 PM

My MIL used to use Yardley Old English Lavender Sachet. It had a nice clean smell. If she came while the children were in school, my daughter always knew that she had come for a visit, for the lavender lingered on. She even put it in her linen closet and the sheets smelled so good. They stopped selling it in the mid 70's and the lavender that they sell today, doesn't come even close to what Yardley sold in the 50's to mid 70's.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
My MIL used to use Yardley Old English Lavender Sachet. It had a nice clean smell. If she came while the children were in school, my daughter always knew that she had come for a visit, for the lavender lingered on. She even put it in her linen closet and the sheets smelled so good. They stopped selling it in the mid 70's and the lavender that they sell today, doesn't come even close to what Yardley sold in the 50's to mid 70's.
My mom also used Yardleys. I dont' think she ever had to buy any for herself. My siblings and I all liked the scent as much as she did, so we bought it for her b'day, Mother's day, C'Mas...any opportunity!!!

Growing up, we had a lot of Garry Oaks trees in our yard. I loved the smell of the leaf piles in the fall. Jumping and rolling in the piles....heaven!!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

When I smell Vicks it takes me right back to my moms house. When I was sick she would rub it on my chest, make me rest on the sofa and bring my sponge cake to eat. She used Jergens hand lotion too. I love that smell.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

One word................Paregoric!! :mrgreen:

Taste just like a skunk smells.......... :roll:

Then there is always the smell or Varsol, Gas, Oil, and just general garage type of smells. I always stayed in the garage with my Dad and GrandPa working on the old cars we had and helping with the restorations.

Everytime I paint a car it sends me back also. I painted my first car when I was 15, built my first motor at 10 and bought my first car when I was 13 that I still own today.

I miss being a kid sometimes.......

Billy
Old 11-28-2009, 07:09 PM

Anyone have a bead loom?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:17 PM

noxzema - to this day, love that smell

vicks: with cold and flu season upon us now and my mom not around to look after me....I still feel her warm arms around me when I put this on

Okay and just to throw one out there that just reminds me of being a kid: Silly Putty