Favorite Donation Places?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:19 PM

I know that a lot of us Quilters share our talents and donate to different groups in need. What is your Favorite Group to donate to and why? How did you locate your recipients?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:23 PM

I donate quilts to the local shelter and to the Alzheimers nursing home that took care of my father.
I of course do the nursing home because I love the people there and they were so very good to my father. I do the local shelter because I have known many people that have had to use the shelter and they are always in need.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM

I make a quilt once a year for my church fair/auction. It usually is a baby quilt or tree skirt and goes for about $75-100. It is so much fun to watch people bid for your work and it feels good to give to a good cause!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM

i donate if somebody asks me, depending on the situation. or if i hear or read about something that needs a donation.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM

I donate to Quilts for Kids at Hershey Medical Center
Old 05-03-2011, 05:43 PM

I make quilts for our prayer ministry at church and for the Linus Project. I think these projects chose me...it is a blessing to know that my quilts bring comfort to someone hurting.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:59 PM

I am a chapter coordinator for Project Linus in my area and we donate to hospitals, children's services agencies, pregnancy care centers, adoption agencies, child protections services, there just isn't any group we won't help.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:59 PM

The Alzheimer’s Association. I took care of my Dad who had Alzheimer’s and the Alzheimer’s Association was a major part of our life.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM

I'm a Project Linus Coordinator too, and I deliver blankets to dozens of locations. Every so often we receive a note thanking the volunteers who crafted and donated the blanket. Here is one:
"Last night we brought our 3.5 yr old son, Tommy to the Portsmouth E.R. He had been throwing up for a few days, then acting fine. I'd heard of a stomach virus going around, so I assumed that's what he had. Then last night, he threwup around 9pm and was inconsoleable for over 2 hours. His stomach was hard as a rock, which was unusual compared to the other times.

We checked into the E.R. and the doctor saw what pain he was in, the hard feeling in his stomach, and got ex-rays and morphine for the pain. They observed him for a while and finally diagnosed it as excessive gas in his G.I. And after he was calm for a while, they removed his I.V. and let us leave around 4a.m.

But, prior to leaving the hospital, one of his sweet nurses brought Tommy a nice surprise - a BEAUTIFUL colorful knitted blanket. I was so touched at the kind gesture, and Tommy clung on to that blanket, for the remainder of the stay in the hospital, and while we walked through the parking lot to the car, he kept it covering him in the car on the ride home, then he slept with it the rest of the night.

He is now, sitting on the couch, eating crackers and watching t.v. clinging to his new beautiful blankie.

Considering Tommy was hooked up to an I.V. last night, while he was completely miserable, the whole hospital experience was a positive one for him, and it ended so well, with his new blanket. He is proud of the blanket and all that it represents.

To whomever put the love and attention into this blanket, we thank you, from the bottom of our hearts."
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 PM

Here is another note of thanks, and there is a special message at the end of this note recognizing all of you who make and donate blankets to children in crisis:
Hi, my name is Wes.. My wife Katie and I welcomed our first child into the world February 16th 2011. Much to our surprise the entry was not typical and our little boy Finn ended up spending some time in the NICU at Eliot hospital. I'm sure I don't have to tell you. But, that was one of the most stressful times in our lives. It was different for both of us of course. Stressful for Katie because of the circumstances and the fact that her baby was wisped away with out seeing him among other things. I shared many of her thoughts but, I had the stress of making sure two people were okay, Mom and baby. I had to make trips back and forth from Exeter to the Eliot because they didn't transfer Katie right away. Well, the point is....from the very first moment, I was a very scared and concerned Dad walking into the NICU. But, as soon as I walked into the room and notice the blanket and hat from Project Linus there was a breath of relief. My little boy wasn't just lying in a super sterile hospital atmosphere. Someone cared as much about him as we did and made him and the room more comfortable. There was a touch of home and love, thanks to your wonderful organization. So, I am writing to thank you from us and for all of the little kids in that unit. I'm convinced they know that those hats and blankets were made by someone who loves and cares about them. You all are angels and are doing Gods work!