Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Gift You Ever Gave Someone

Favorite Gift You Ever Gave Someone

Merry Christmas to everyone!

When I was in first grade, we were asked for donations for underprivileged children during the holidays. I gave my favorite stuffed animal. That was probably the most meaningful thing that I ever gave someone.

My son's girlfriend is a drummer. She had very badly wanted to see the Blue-Man Group, but she and my son had just bought a house and didn't have the money. So for Christmas, I gave her tickets and also train fare to Boston and hotel fare and money for dinner that night. You should have seen the smile on her face on Christmas morning!

When my daughter was 4, "Santa" brought her a Fisher Price Kitchen Center. When she saw it on Christmas morning, she was so excited that she started trembling. It was the sweetest thing.

So what were some of your favorite gifts that you gave?

Silly as it sounds, my favorite gift I gave to my brother and sister in law because I hit it out of the park. They have cats, who are their babies. I went to PetSmart with a huge basket and filled it will all sorts of cat treats and toys. You should have seen their enjoyment.

When my DD was 16 DH we bought her a brand new bright blue Chevy Camero for Christmas. I filled it full of red rubber balls of all sizes. When she was 3 she wanted a .10 rubber ball at the store. I could not scrape up .10 to buy it for her. I promised myself I would give her all the rubber balls she wanted one day. Oh how I don't miss the days of being a young family and broke! LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

How sweet and thoughtful! I always get my son's dogs Christmas gifts. I call them my Grand-dogs. I'll bet that meant a lot to your brother and sister-in-law.

My dog, Princess, who is recently deceased, was very spoiled. We had her for 12 years. On her first Christmas, I (sadly) neglected to buy her a present thinking that my husband had taken care of it. She always had a smile on her face, but when all the gifts were open and she didn't get one, she clearly was moping. We realized the error of our ways, and fortunately, my daughter had purchased a toy for a friend's dog and had wrapped it. She brought it out and gave it to Princess, and you should have seen the excitement and happiness in her eyes as she opened her new toy. Animals have feelings too, don't they?

Oneybone, that was such a touching story. I wish you were my Mom! LOL

I was thinking the other day about those days, being broke with young kids, when the smallest of things you could give meant everything. I can remember my best girlfriend having tears run down her face after a divorce because she could only spend $25 on her little son at Christmas, but she made that money stretch and we contributed a few things, and it all worked out in the end. To this day, I'm sure that is the Christmas that stands out in her mind.

Blog Entries
    this Is the most romantic. when I was 12, I told my boyfriend I wanted purple snow for Christmas.
    Knowing this was impossible, I wondered if he'd get me anything. to my surprise, I woke the next
    morning to him at my door, he had sprayed purple food dye all over my front lawn. That was romantic for sure.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Lynnie, that is so funny. I bet your folks did not see it that way😁

Lynnie, that is the cutest thing I've heard in awhile.

BTW, Lynnie, when I called you Lonnie in another post earlier, it was because my Kindle changed what I had typed. It just tried to do it again!

Blog Entries
    sewingsew, no biggie to me. and cjsews, I lived in a 2 family house, and everyone walking by thought it was neat, when I told them about it, they all thought it was so sweet. What a romantic thoughtful gift!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

My mom was the hardest person ever to buy for. One year for Christmas I got her a purebred sealpoint Ragdoll kitten. Big risk because I didn't even know if she wanted a kitten. But all it took was one look at that precious little furball and she was head over heels in love. That was the best gift I ever gave and it kept on giving for 16 years.

Blog Entries
    *** Not me but my Mom, but I was only 12 and with her. My church did a pounding for an in need family.
    *** Mom always canned way to much food for us and she donated several gallons of Green beans.
    *** When the lady saw the green beans she screamed and hung my Mom with all her might.
    *** She said she had been praying from green beans for their Christmas dinner.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Clearly by accident!!! I was shopping the clearance rack at TJ Maxx, happened to look at the lower rack(mostly out of sight) and there were the cutest toddler rain coats with quilted flannel lining for $2! So I grabbed one for my 2 yr. old niece who loved, loved, loved it, she wore it non-stop. She would put up a fuss when it was time to take it off so she could get in the tub. Then they hid it from her. My other brother was so impressed with it-- we had to run back out to the get his son one. Best 2 bucks or 4 I ever spent! More recently (4 yrs ago?), My mom picked out a 4 ft pre-lit Christmas tree for her room at the nursing home, perfect size for her to sit in her wheelchair and arrange and rearrange her ornaments. My mom knew Christmas 2013 was going to be her last, she left her tree lights on 24/7, this was the one and only time she ever did this. Mom died Sept. 2014, my new tradition is to put up moms tree along with our own and keep the lights on 24/7.

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    my best giving gift was this year to some vets. when I delivered the quilts, food and book their faces just lit up. and they were genuinely thankful for whatever I had in that car. it certainly made me feel good.

JoAnne, that is a beautiful story. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've heard it said that a person continues to exist on this earth for as long as they are remembered. One of the most touching things that I have ever seen is in a cemetery I often drive by. Every year I see a miniature tree with blue lights. What a beautiful thing!

I gave myself a gift one year by paying one of my student's senior dues. He was so grateful, he had his grandma invite me to dinner!

My favorite gift was given to me on Sunday. My best friend made up IOUs for different favors like a lunch, trip to the Dr or help around the house. We both laughed but it is the gift of kindness that touched my heart.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

This year I had a surprise at the grocery store. I had found a small stuffed Christmas tree that played music and danced. I ( of course had to try it to se what it did) . There happened to be a young lady there with 2 small children --guessing about 1 and 3 yrs old. She asked me where I got it and I told her. As I was cashing out my groceries--she said she couldn,t find any more of them. Her little boy put his hands out and wanted it so badly -he was actually was crying to have it. 1 look at his little face and I couldn,t resist--I gave it to them and said Merry Christmas.
    That made my day and those 2 little adorable children. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all.

Wolf3349, you are a Christmas Angel. Just sitting here by the tree, reading your story, and thinking that there is still hope for humanity.

Blog Entries
    This Christmas. My friend has arthritis in her hands and I went over and spent 8 1/2 hours wrapping all her presents She picks things up through out the year and puts them in her Christmas Closet. She still has an 18yo son and a 14yo daughter at home and 3 gs's and 1 gd ages 3 thru 12. Barely got them under the tree before the sun started to wake up. This year I'm giving myself a couple hours nap. Hope every one has a very Merry Christmas.

Sewingsew-Thank you, moms tree goes up before our own. Got to have that me peace and serenity first. For now I don't see me ever giving up my new tradition. It was fun for me to watch mom beam with pride when passer-byers would stop and compliment her beautiful tree. I would do the original decorating then mom would do her touch ups. Thank you for letting me share.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Many years ago while still living in Ft. Wayne, I purchases a new artificial tree. It was the most cantankerous thing. I got it right after Thanksgiving on sale for $25.00 back then. I found out why. After wrestling with it and trying all I could to get it together, I tried to move it to a better spot. Lights and all on the bottom just stayed put. Took it apart and with the lights still on it, I packed it up and got a different one. Still little over 3 weeks til Christmas I took it to the YWCA who takes donations for the Women's shelter at that time. I explained everything and said I hoped it would stay put for them. They asked if I wanted a receipt and I said no, only a photo of it with some happy faces if it stayed intact. I prayed for that. A week later I got a Christmas card of a Christmas tree with little heads covered in SAnta caps facing away from the camera (security reasons). One of the repair persons for the shelter fixed it. With the extra $50.00 allotted for a tree, they were able to do more for the children for Christmas. I cried and cried and still get tears even as I write this. Memories of those little Santa caps still dance in my head. That was one of my best Christmases when I can get a child to think of something other than the trauma they've been through. One other time, I had a listing of an estate. The lady had 5 boxes 3x3x3 of gift wrap remnants. Donated that with permission from the owner to a type of Toys for tots. luckily I had an 87 suburban to put them in the back. that helped with paper budget and a bag of tape.

Every year I try to do something that makes me feel good. Two years go I donated money for one of those off the floor beds for an animal rescue place I got my dog. Last year I got a gift certificate for a man in the neighborhood who would walk to MacDonalds for his meals. He was old and grouchy so I put the gift certificate in a Xmas card and didn't sign it. I hope he didn't spend it all one time. I prefer the recipient does't know who is doing something for them.
    Marilyn

When we gave our daughter a cabbage doll for Christmas. They were a very hot item at the time. She was about 10 then, now is 41. Both her daughters play with "Viola" now. Another special gift was a gun for our son - he's a hunter like his Dad.

Blog Entries
    Most years, DH and I send out about a hundred Christmas cards to friends and relatives. This year, we decided to do something different. I sent out text messages, Facebook messages, etc. to everyone, so we could do something different with our Christmas cards. I have many friends and family who have served our country, and all have come home hale and hearty. DH and I got to talking about that as his family is the same, so we decided to send all of our cards this year to wounded American soldiers at Walter Reed Army medical center. We sent out 115 cards, one for everyone we usually send a card to. I like knowing that those 115 cards made Christmas so much brighter for those who are back on our soil, but not back home yet. The hard part was writing a personal folksy greeting on all of them. It was so worth it. If any of you would like to join us next year in doing this, PM me and I will share the address.
    We also adopted family friend and her family that was going to be homeless for Christmas. They are renting our extra bedrooms, and I am over the moon in love with their two little girls (ages 3 and 6). So sweet and well mannered.
    We had a last minute guest for today's Christmas dinner, I sent DH out to get her a minke blanket for her bed. She lost her DH a couple weeks ago, and mentioned she had always wanted one, but could never "waste" the money for one. When she opened her gift, she was so excited. DH managed to accidentally buy one that matched the fleece sheets her DH had bought for her last birthday.
    Life has been good to me, so I just have to pay it forward. Karma is everything.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 12-25-2015 at 09:00 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

My favorite gift to give was probably the anonymous gifting I did for a young family in our church with lots of kids, who were struggling financially. My father had given me $100 to buy myself a Christmas present from him. I really didn't need anything so instead I went shopping for this young family. For that $100 I was able to buy them all a modest gift, even the mom and dad. I wrapped them all and during the next church service I went out to their car (which was luckily unlocked) and loaded their car with these gifts for them to find when they got back to it. It was one of the most fun gifts I've ever given. It truly is more blessed to give....
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast