Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite Gift You Ever Gave Someone >

Favorite Gift You Ever Gave Someone

Favorite Gift You Ever Gave Someone

Old 12-23-2015, 12:55 PM

Default Favorite Gift You Ever Gave Someone

Merry Christmas to everyone!

When I was in first grade, we were asked for donations for underprivileged children during the holidays. I gave my favorite stuffed animal. That was probably the most meaningful thing that I ever gave someone.

My son's girlfriend is a drummer. She had very badly wanted to see the Blue-Man Group, but she and my son had just bought a house and didn't have the money. So for Christmas, I gave her tickets and also train fare to Boston and hotel fare and money for dinner that night. You should have seen the smile on her face on Christmas morning!

When my daughter was 4, "Santa" brought her a Fisher Price Kitchen Center. When she saw it on Christmas morning, she was so excited that she started trembling. It was the sweetest thing.

So what were some of your favorite gifts that you gave?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Silly as it sounds, my favorite gift I gave to my brother and sister in law because I hit it out of the park. They have cats, who are their babies. I went to PetSmart with a huge basket and filled it will all sorts of cat treats and toys. You should have seen their enjoyment.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

When my DD was 16 DH we bought her a brand new bright blue Chevy Camero for Christmas. I filled it full of red rubber balls of all sizes. When she was 3 she wanted a .10 rubber ball at the store. I could not scrape up .10 to buy it for her. I promised myself I would give her all the rubber balls she wanted one day. Oh how I don't miss the days of being a young family and broke! LOL
Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 PM

How sweet and thoughtful! I always get my son's dogs Christmas gifts. I call them my Grand-dogs. I'll bet that meant a lot to your brother and sister-in-law.

My dog, Princess, who is recently deceased, was very spoiled. We had her for 12 years. On her first Christmas, I (sadly) neglected to buy her a present thinking that my husband had taken care of it. She always had a smile on her face, but when all the gifts were open and she didn't get one, she clearly was moping. We realized the error of our ways, and fortunately, my daughter had purchased a toy for a friend's dog and had wrapped it. She brought it out and gave it to Princess, and you should have seen the excitement and happiness in her eyes as she opened her new toy. Animals have feelings too, don't they?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:18 PM

Oneybone, that was such a touching story. I wish you were my Mom! LOL

I was thinking the other day about those days, being broke with young kids, when the smallest of things you could give meant everything. I can remember my best girlfriend having tears run down her face after a divorce because she could only spend $25 on her little son at Christmas, but she made that money stretch and we contributed a few things, and it all worked out in the end. To this day, I'm sure that is the Christmas that stands out in her mind.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

this Is the most romantic. when I was 12, I told my boyfriend I wanted purple snow for Christmas.
Knowing this was impossible, I wondered if he'd get me anything. to my surprise, I woke the next
morning to him at my door, he had sprayed purple food dye all over my front lawn. That was romantic for sure.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:17 PM

Lynnie, that is so funny. I bet your folks did not see it that way😁
Old 12-23-2015, 03:25 PM

Lynnie, that is the cutest thing I've heard in awhile.

BTW, Lynnie, when I called you Lonnie in another post earlier, it was because my Kindle changed what I had typed. It just tried to do it again!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

sewingsew, no biggie to me. and cjsews, I lived in a 2 family house, and everyone walking by thought it was neat, when I told them about it, they all thought it was so sweet. What a romantic thoughtful gift!
Old 12-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

My mom was the hardest person ever to buy for. One year for Christmas I got her a purebred sealpoint Ragdoll kitten. Big risk because I didn't even know if she wanted a kitten. But all it took was one look at that precious little furball and she was head over heels in love. That was the best gift I ever gave and it kept on giving for 16 years.