Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2014 Weight Loss Adventure

Blog Entries
    Pam, congratulations on your great loss--good for you.
    I think I am back on track. Back to exercise class and love those excuses for not exercising. Now I have to get my food intake under control. This weather makes me want to keep eating. Going to make a big pot of soup that was posted in jan. thread today.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Tip of the Day:

Need to make dinner but have errands to do? Use a slow cooker to make a chicken and vegetable stew with plenty of tomatoes, potatoes and green beans.

Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Thanks everyone! My eating is better and my water consumption is good but I need to get back to the exercise. I could have written that list of excuses!
    Zennia, let me know what you think of the soup. I love it. I made another huge kettle of it this week.

Blog Entries
    How do we get under control those afternoon sweet cravings? Anyone? Come 2:00 to 2:30, they hit and I can't refuse. I have veggies and healthy snacks, but they do not do it.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

That's a tough one QM. How about some of those 100 calorie packs of treats? Or if you want ice cream the skinny cow treats are good. I bought some of the weight watcher little bars and they are very satisfying for only 2 points.

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    How do we get under control those afternoon sweet cravings? Anyone? Come 2:00 to 2:30, they hit and I can't refuse. I have veggies and healthy snacks, but they do not do it.
    I have noticed that when I am having the sweet cravings it I kick up my calcium intake the sweet craving is not as bad. whether it is by pills or dairy intake. If that doesn't work, I keep small candy bars in the freezer and limit myself.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

I buy the Newtin Thin cookies. They are so very good, come in many flavors and really aren't that bad calorie-wise. When those cravings hit, I have one cookie. I have learned to limit to that one and it seems to do the trick for me. I have also tried the 100 calorie bars, but sometimes I like that cookie.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Hello everyone. I am finally among the land of the living. Had the flu for 10 days and it was no fun!!! I did lose a few pounds. Glad at least something good came from it!!!
    Now if I can just keep losing and not gain any of those pounds back.
    I was bad this afternoon and ate some potato chips. But this evening my tummy is not happy and so I skipped dinner. I think I will go to bed soon as I am very tired.
    I finally started quilting my DD#2's quilt. It is 100 x 111. I am FMQ'ing a rose meander all over the whole thing. I started Tuesday, am on my 10th bobbin and am over 3/4 of the way done. Probably a little more. I am way to sleepy to work on it tonight but my goal is to finish quilting this beast by tomorrow afternoon. I have been putting off quilting this thing for months cause I knew it was going to be a bear. It is going much better than I thought. I am working on a domestic size Bernina with a BSR foot. I take frequent breaks so as to not kill my back and shoulders. I am not having to wrestle with it as much as I thought. I installed "barriers" around my sewing desk to keep it from falling over the side and that has helped. I used some "Quick Grip" clamps, some chairs pushed up at the edge and even a box that my new cutting board was shipped in. I started this quilt about 3 years ago and have time and again put it aside. I plan to hang it in our guild show in April, our Church Mother's day "show" in May and maybe even enter it in the fair. Then it will go to my middle daughter.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Tip of the Day: Protein-Packed Snacks

Peanut butter adds protein to a snack. Try it on apple slices, celery, whole grain crackers, or a small square of dark chocolate.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Nice tip, Cindy! I will use this one for sure!

Blog Entries
    Love celery and peanut butter. My favorite. maybe I need to also have a protein based snack in the mid afternoon when that sweet craving comes calling on me. thanks ladies, I will check those sweets out and get me some. I think it is also sugar withdrawal.

I went for my weigh in on Thursday and didn't lose or gain. Just stayed the same. That's okay with me. I sometimes eat my apple slices at night with a little peanut butter. I use the Smucker's All Natural. It doesn't have added sugar.

I finally went back to the gym last night after being out since falling on the ice. I didn't stay long, don't want to over do it as soon as I go back. Boy, I slept like a baby afterwards. It was wonderful.

I really need to work on both my portion control and my snacking. I'm about to fix dinner and plan on a normal sized portion - not supersized!!

This weather makes me want to just stay in and eat, eat, eat.

Blog Entries
    I am a big fan of the 100 calorie packs for my sweet cravings. I helps to make me stop after a proper portion. Another thing that helps me is to eat before the craving hits. So try eating your snack earlier. I try to snack on my way home from work in my car so I don't go crazy when I get home. I often crave sweets and then salty snacks. I find an apple cut up with just a tiny bit of salt will kill both cravings. I know I need to avoid the salt but this is better than the potato chips I would grab to tame the salt craving.

Blog Entries
    Lauriejo I should print out and frame your exercise excuse. I think that has been me lately. I need to get out of that and back to exercise. I feel so much better when I do.

Tip of the Day: Benefits of Fruit

Why is it Important to Eat Fruit?

Eating fruit provides health benefits people who eat more fruits and vegetables as part of an overall healthy diet are likely to have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases. Fruits provide nutrients vital for health and maintenance of your body.

Health Benefits

• Eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet may reduce risk for heart disease, including heart attack and stroke.
    • Eating a diet rich in some vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet may protect against certain types of cancers.
    • Diets rich in foods containing fiber, such as some vegetables and fruits, may reduce the risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
    • Eating vegetables and fruits rich in potassium as part of an overall healthy diet may lower blood pressure, and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and help to decrease bone loss.
    • Eating foods such as fruits that are lower in calories per cup instead of some other higher-calorie food may be useful in helping to lower calorie intake.

Nutrients

• Most fruits are naturally low in fat, sodium, and calories. None have cholesterol.
    • Fruits are sources of many essential nutrients that are underconsumed, including potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C, and folate (folic acid).
    • Diets rich in potassium may help to maintain healthy blood pressure. Fruit sources of potassium include bananas, prunes and prune juice, dried peaches and apricots, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and orange juice.
    • Dietary fiber from fruits, as part of an overall healthy diet, helps reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower risk of heart disease. Fiber is important for proper bowel function. It helps reduce constipation and diverticulosis. Fiber-containing foods such as fruits help provide a feeling of fullness with fewer calories. Whole or cut-up fruits are sources of dietary fiber; fruit juices contain little or no fiber.
    • Vitamin C is important for growth and repair of all body tissues, helps heal cuts and wounds, and keeps teeth and gums healthy.
    • Folate (folic acid) helps the body form red blood cells. Women of childbearing age who may become pregnant should consume adequate folate from foods, and in addition 400 mcg of synthetic folic acid from fortified foods or supplements. This reduces the risk of neural tube defects, spina bifida, and anencephaly during fetal development.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

I don't do well when I completely deny myself any sweets. If I feel the need for chocolate I allow myself a few M&Ms or a Hershey's kiss. Not too many calories and it satisfies the craving. The longer I put off the craving the more it takes to make it stop. What's life without a few treats!

It's really been a struggle this year to get myself out walking. I tried the mall and after one circuit (only a half mile) I was ready to scream. The piped in music was awful and so loud I could hear it over my ipod. Then there were the rude (and sometimes scary) people. Usually I walk outside, but this year has been so cold and snowy it is really difficult to motivate myself. Then about a week ago I slipped on the ice and really jacked up my back and my knees. So for the past few days I have been staying inside and watching the Olympics.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Blog Entries
    Even though I have had those afternoon cravings for sweets, (eating the tiny pack of M&Ms) I did loose 4 pounds last week. Hopefully I will stay on track for the month. I will mail my Skinny off to you today. I had to go and buy a bright. Silly me. I believe March is a batik? Confirm with me please so I can get that in the mail as well. I think I have your address Createfourpaws. Well onto work and do those personal taxes that need done.

Yes March is Batiks.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

I have received FQ's from
    Nancia
    Lauriejo
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries
    Nice article about fruit. I went shopping yesterday and now I have fruit all over the kitchen. My husband also needs to diet so really bought a good variety. Maybe he will eat fruit instead of junk. I am pre diabetic so i eat a lot of it. So far doing good ,as far as eating, this month. haven't stepped on scales yet. Sometimes they can be very discouraging. Going to wait until end of month to weight self.
    mark Twain

Here's how we can take care of the excuses for not exercising!

Solid Solutions for Exercise Excuses

Today, I'm helping you find solutions to five common exercise excuses. Use these strategies to create a manageable, realistic fitness routine that works for your life.
    Excuse #1: The only time I can work out is in the morning, but it's hard to get my act together so early in the day.
    Solution: Assemble your workout clothes, sneakers, gym bag, and snack (an orange or banana will do) the night before so everything is ready and waiting for you in the morning.
    Excuse #2: It's raining.
    Solution: Keep a workout video or two on hand, invest in a home exercise machine and some free weights (or soup cans!), or just walk up and down the stairs for 15 minutes.
    Excuse #3: I'm too tired.
    Solution: Drink some coffee or splash cold water on your face and commit to doing a five-minute workout. Chances are, five minutes of movement will be all it takes to motivate you to do another five, then another, and so on.
    Excuse #4: I'm not losing weight — why bother?
    Solution: Remind yourself that you're exercising not only to lose weight but to improve your health, your balance, your flexibility, your strength, and your mood.
    Excuse #5: I'm bored.
    Solution: Switch it up: Try a new piece of equipment at the gym, change your running route, alternate your activities, get an exercise buddy, join a group, take a class, buy an audio version of your favorite book...

Blog Entries
    mark Twain

Tip of the Day: Eat Your Greens

Popeye had it right--use spinach in a salad or to top off a sandwich. Try its cousins--kale and collards--in soups and side dishes. Click here for tips to help you eat more vegetables.

Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Hi Y'all, I'm out. Enjoy the journey. I just have too much going on with family right now. Thanks for letting me join.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast