Feeding the Homeless/Needy

Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Any pasta-type canned goods are good because they can be heated and serve as a full meal. The "everything is a dollar" stores often have canned and packaged goods that have plenty of shelf life left.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Peanut butter in small jars is a great option also!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by quilticing
I just finished the book NICKEL AND DIMED By Barbara Ehrenreich. I suggest everyone read it. In her case, smaller packages would be appreciated. Don't forget, if you're homeless, you don't have a microwave, refrigerator, etc!
I loved that book too! Very eye-opening.

In our area, it's often suggested that we donate foods that would make good kid-friendly lunches for on the weekends. (There's no free school breakfast & lunch on the weekends.)

Also... just a thought ... the food pantries can often make a dollar go farther than we can as individual shoppers. Plus, if you write a check to the food pantry, you now have a receipt which you can use as a charitable deduction on your taxes. And that might just leave a little more money in your pocket that you can save toward your next donation!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM

You'd be surprized at how people getting the food are happy with things we might think of a plain old ordinary stuff. I was working at a pantry and one woman just glowed at the idea of a can of tuna fish!!!!!!

One thing to remember, if the food is for homeless people, try to get stuff that needs little preparation. If they are out on the street, or in a motel, there is no place to set up a meal. One pot things are good then. If the place you are donating to is suplementing people with a place to stay, you can get just about anything.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:44 AM

We give things like staples for making things. Like bags of rice, beans ,cereal and can veggies. Peanut butter and jelly is good too.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I've been asked to donate canned goods to a center that gives food to those in need. I know this may sound stupid, but should I get cans of food that would be more filling, or get foods most people probably won't get like pineapple chunks, fruit cocktale, etc? Normally this is not an issue but since funds are tighter this year I have to make smaller & better choices. I guess I could always get a mix. What are your thoughts?
If you have the resources to purchase specific food, call the center and ask what they need. You'll be surprised. I call the local soup kitchen and always ask before I just buy stuff. One year they wanted toilet paper and paper towels, one year it was feminine hygiene products. You just never know...
Old 10-30-2011, 01:26 PM

don't forget pet food - some pantries give it out along with people food, to help people keep their pets instead of surrendering them, in tough times.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I try to donate the most nutritional that I can find. Fruits (in water not heavy syrup) and vegetables are always welcome. Canned beans offer wonderful protein as well.
This is what I do too.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM

:thumbup:
Old 10-30-2011, 03:18 PM

Here where I live in California, we have a grocery store chain known as Raley's. On a continuing basis, they will match money donated for our food bank 1:1. That means that for every $1 you donate, $2 of food will be purchased and donated. It is wonderful what they do and much appreciated by the community here.

Do other stores also have the same policy?