Finished Quilts

Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 AM

What do y'all (notice the Southern-speak--I live in GA!) do with your quilts once they're finished? I know many quilts are made with a purpose in mind, like a giveaway, a raffle, a charity project, a gift, etc., but my question is more about those quilts that one makes without any purpose, just to try out a new pattern, or play with some cool fabric, etc. It's sort the same question I'd have for artists: what do they do with all the paintings that they create? Do they just pile them up in a corner (like I've seen so many do), and keep right on painting, regardless?
So, do quilters just keep producing and stacking their creations in a cupboard once they run of beds to spread them onto, or wall space to hang them, or table tops to place on? I'm curious, because I'm beginning to accumulate all these quilts and am running out of space! I feel like I'm missing something... Thanks! :?:
Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 AM

Hey...from a native Georgian! I have the same issue you do! I have some displayed in a glass case, made for quilts. Some are displayed on a quilt ladder and a quilt rack. Some are used as lap quilts on those cool nights. I just keep making them, like an artist keeps painting. I just have to keep creating!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I have not reached the overflow point yet. I give most of mine away. There are lots of organizations out there that put our quilts to good use. For example: Natural disaster, Quilts for Kids, Quilts of valor, and many more.
This link will give you some ideas:) Welcome from Louisiana!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 AM

I hear ya! One cannot stop the creative process. My daughter is an artist and she paints & paints, but very few go out the door. I quilt & quilt, and find it hard to get rid of them most of the time.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I have a trunk that I put my special ones in, the rest are just displayed around the house.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 AM

I'm involved in a charity project called "Healing Hugs" in my town, where a bunch of ladies get together once a month and make quilts for cancer patients. I find myself mostly working on these charity quilts at home too. But I have many more projects in my head that I'll eventually get to, which will not necessarily go to charity. Which is why I was wondering...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 AM

I hang onto them untill I find them the right home. Then off they go! When trying a new pattern I make large lap quilts, adults and kids can use these, Baby Q's never stay long always try to have a couple of these on hand girl and boy. Shower invitations only arrive 1-2 weeks before the event and a lot of time I didn't even know she was expecting! LOL
Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 AM

I knew immediately you are from the south because you spelled "y'all" correctly......it is not yall, or ya'll, is it ? I am a native Georgian and know exactly what you are saying ! I'm so new at quilting that I don't have any completed quilts yet; I have 2 in progress, one will go to one of my daughter's and one will stay with me. I made a double sided fleece quilt and tied it for my niece's baby shower.....they are the kind of folks that wouldn't really appreciate a real quilt anyway !
Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM

The last one I made was queen size and I had no idea what I was going to do with it when finised. By the time I had it done if had found a home. I have a few here but most I just give away.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by cmagee84
Hey...from a native Georgian! I have the same issue you do! I have some displayed in a glass case, made for quilts. Some are displayed on a quilt ladder and a quilt rack. Some are used as lap quilts on those cool nights. I just keep making them, like an artist keeps painting. I just have to keep creating!!!
Me too.