Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: First Rag Doll

First Rag Doll

I just finished this doll for a friend's daughter who took the death of her grandmother very hard. The dress is made from a nightgown her grandmother wore all the time. I read about this type of thing helping some kids, so I thought it worth a shot - since I have no clue how to make a teddy bear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Blog Entries
    Ruth, your kindness will help this child with her grief, well done!
    Tulip

"Takeyour needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose byand by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Power Poster
    She is very cute and will be a comfort for the little girl. I adored my granny and took her death hard even as an adult.

So sorry she lost her Grandmother, I hope the doll helps her through her grieveing. So good of you to make the doll for her.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful thought! I know she will feel comforted, especially using her grandmother's nightgown fabric.

What a sweet thing to do! The doll will be cherished.

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    Two of my granddaughters lost their other grandparents within 5 months. I wish I had had the opportunity to ask for some of the clothing to either quilt with or make a doll like this. What a wonderful, generous thing for you to do. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

What a lovely doll and so clever and thoughtful to use the nightgown fabric. I am sure this will help the little one find her way through the grieving.

very thoughtful! I was in my late 30's when i lost my grandma, I just thought that would never happen. I was blessed to have her for so long. Something about grandmothers that seem so magical and nothing is ever going to happen to them.
    Donna

You are as beautiful as your finished rag doll. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cute and I am sure it will be loved. Great idea for her.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing that precious doll and you were so thoughtful to use the Grandmothers gown, to make it even better. You did a nice job. I like the dolls smile.

Hugs

Vickey S.

That was a truly thoughtful thing to do!

Beautiful , very sweet of you!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    What a wonderful idea .. now she will always have grandma with her !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

You are a doll for doing such a great thing for someone in need.

that was so sweet of you. I am sure it will bring comfort to the little girl. well done

Blog Entries
    How thoughtful, and such a sweet thing to do, i should do this for when i" go" because heaven knows my kids will not do this, they will be clapping
    Mary

Bless you, Ruth, for making this sweet little doll for her. It will surely be a treasure to help to her!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Ruth-such a good person you are-I'm in the precess of making a Memory quilt for our Grandson, to give it to him someday possibly when he gets married of blocks of fabric from material I kept of his mothers Scrub Tops-she was a registered nurse at their local Children's Hospital in Dayton Ohio-I will also us material of her prom dresses I kept and will put the lace and embroidery on some of the blocks also-Children tend to love memories of the family who have gone before them-Keep doing your projects, your doll was beautiful

That is so sweet! I hope it helps her. My children still all grieve for my mom as do I. My mother died when my youngest two were newborns. The girls are 7 now and always ask who and where their grandma is. My oldest son got married and his mother in law sports a head full of beautiful gray hair. She spends Thanksgiving with us and we see her a couple of times a year. She has been wonderfully receptive when the twins spontaneously started calling her grandma.
    When she comes she makes sure to bring something fun to share with them and she spends time with them. On Easter she brought chalk and played outside with them.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I love the idea of using the fabric from Granny's nightgown for the doll's dress. Very clever. That doll is so cute. I hope the little girl will love it.