Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Flannel

Blog Entries

Flannel

I went to the thrift store yesterday in search of flannel sheets and hit the jackpot. I use flannel in place of batting when doing table runners and some wall quilts as I don't need the heavy batting and they lay so much nicer, especially table runners. I got two queen sets and two king sets for $13.00, that's eight sheets and eight pillow cases. I just finished taking them apart after washing them in hot water and there is a lot of flannel. I am so happy, to top it off I received an email that my new sewing machine should be in today, now I am waiting anxiously for the phone call.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Blog Entries
    Great score--I do love flannel!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Love it when everything falls into place. Enjoy your quilting!

Power Poster
    Score!!!

Blog Entries
    what a lucky find
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Good for you. What machine are you getting?
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Used flannel sheet blankets also make good batting for table runners, place mats, mug rugs, etc. Used mattress pads are fabulous for hot mats.

I have been very lucky also at the thrift store. I paid $6 for sets of new king size flannel sheets. They were really decent quality. I washed them, but haven't taken them apart.They are measured, and each sheet is tied with a ribbon. They have a note pinned to them with the size. I am using them for the backs of quilts. I also save the scraps, and sew the different colors together to make more backing. I love the way it looks when using the different colors..

Good score. I buy a lot of flannel and 100% cotton sheets for quilt backings. I measure my sheets length x width in inches and divide by 1296. That gives me the yardage contained in the sheet. I then divide the cost by the yardage which gives me the approx cost per yard. Congrats on your new sewing machine.
    Sweet Caroline

I'm going to have to find new thrift shops...the GW nearest me is really getting expensive and so much stuff there that is not moving out...and I never really find any "treasures" anymore...boohoo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Good for you. What machine are you getting?

I am getting the Janome 1050 and am picking it up this afternoon, it did not come in until 4:30 yesterday and the shop closes at 5:00 and it takes me 45 minutes to get there. Am so excited, which is odd because I have never been this excited over purchasing a machine before. My extension table arrived earlier this week. Guess what I will be playing with the rest of the weekend and I am going to be home on Tuesday and will get to do some more playing.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I'm going to have to find new thrift shops...the GW nearest me is really getting expensive and so much stuff there that is not moving out...and I never really find any "treasures" anymore...boohoo
    This is the first great find I have had in a long time and I have several thrift stores that I visit.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Blog Entries
    Great find. I always look at estate or garage sales for them. I use them for same as you. have fun with your new machine.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

If you anywhere near Unique thrift store, I do very well there..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
    If you anywhere near Unique thrift store, I do very well there..
    We don't have that thrift store around here, we have mstli The Salvation Army & st Vincent DePaul which is where I found my flannel shhts. I have thm all washed and the seans taken out of the fitted sheets and the pillow cases. At first I was using my seam ripper to undo the seams but soon discovered I was not getting any more fabric that way so I cut them apart with my rotary cutter. Much faster and same amount of fabric.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan