Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fons & Porter Quilting TV Show

I figured Mary's messy look was a Chicago thing for young people. I commented on a friend's college daughter's messy hair one time and she (daughter) informed me that it was called a finger comb and they all do it! you just run your fongers through your hair when you get up in the morning!I told her that's exactly what it looked like to! She still loves me but works in an office now and uses a real comb!
    I wish Marrianne had the show by herself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
    I've never noticed the hair. I'm too busy studying their techniques and thinking about my next project. Love their quilts and I know I will be rejuvenated after watching them.
    Same here. And I'm probably the only one who doesn't miss Liz. Without going into detail and bashing I'll just say I didn't like her attitude.

They said on a show recently that they had new hair do's so they must like them. I still love the show anyway and overlook that sort of stuff.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

I didn't realize Liz retired I only heard she moved to Austin, Tx. Wonder what will happn to the show if MaryAnn retires. I love the show.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Blog Entries
    you remember Shar Jorgensen or what ever her name is? she spoke so slowly I almost fell asleep. but I watched her show a lot years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
    I stopped watching FP after a few episodes with Mary. With all the wonderful quilters in the world nepotism still prevailed. Mary seems uncomfortable on camera. She makes faces and noises, interrupts, plays dumb and gushes over guests.

The old FP's were wonderful!
    That's kind of the way I feel. Liz and Marianne put in their time as quilters and educators, but I don't think Mary adds anything to the show. I don't mind the way they look - the seem very comfortable - but adding a daughter who still seems to be learning on the job, to try and teach us, is what bothers me. I don't feel she is as knowlegable as much as I would want an "expert"'on a show to be, and is only there becasue her mom is famous. I'm sure younger quilters may relate to her more, and after all, if they don't get the new quilters, the industry will eventually die out, so I'm sure it was a marketing move. But the mother-daughter duo doesn't appeal to me.

I agree with Sherry. I loved the show when it was Marianne Fons and Liz Porter. I still tape it, but usually delete it when I get an idea of what is going to be on the show that day I too, have difficulty watching Mary trying to "one up" her Mom.

Power Poster
    I don't care how they look...I watch the show on Saturday mornings to learn not to see how their hair or clothing look.
    They are just simple people that love to quilt and are good at it....Let them look the way they want to as long as it does not effect any of us adversely. There are probably people that don't like the way I look but who cares.....

Well, I love all the quilting shows! I'll watch F&P, Eleanor Burns (although she does talk like a kindergarten teacher, I actually find it endearing), Nancy Zieman (my favorite) - I do not discriminate!! I always learn something from every show. To be honest, I don't really notice what anyone is wearing or their hair, for that matter. I just watch their hands while they are demonstrating, but I don't notice nails and stuff like that either, unless it's something really weird or distracting.

When Mary Fons first started on the show, I wasn't a big fan, but she really has grown on me. I like her enthusiasm for the craft. She can be a little awkward at times but it doesn't bother me. All these shows have some really great guests too.

“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

Abraham Lincoln

We get upset when someone acts like the quilt police, now also, we have to worry about the hair police? Marrianne has curly hair. I do also. I know how difficult it is to make it behave. And sometimes it's just impossible. Mary is young and wears her hair like a young person. Sometimes it reminds me of Meg Ryan and that finger combed look she used to wear and she earned a ton of money looking like that.

I enjoy their show. I think it's great that Mother and Daughter can do a show together. Having a younger quilter on there encourages younger people to quilt and Mary tends to like a more modern color scheme in her quilts. Mary has a quirky personality. And I have heard her praise Liz Porter several times and recently Liz Porter was a guest

on the show with Mary as the host.

If you don't like the show, just turn the TV off or change the channel. Don't get catty about it. I don't pick my friends according to how they dress. There are a lot of scam artists out there that look like really nice people. I have a brother that's in his 60's that dresses like a bum but is one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

Okay, now I'm off my soap box. BTW, I don't wear makeup because of allergies, just incase I run into the makeup police.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
    I guess I have a different view point. I seem to remember when Mary came on in the beginning something was said about her having cancer. I googled it and I was right, I just didn't know how terrible a cancer she had especially for a young woman. I found this site that mentions her marriage. http://nandameansjoy.blogspot.com/2009/02/for-mary.html
    I would guess none of us would say unkind things about someone going through colon cancer and a colostomy. I know when my niece had such a procedure done she was told she wouldn't have children.
    It is so much easier saying things about someone who just seems to be a personality, but this personality is a real person with real grown up problems. I applaud her desire to see the good in life, and to try to achieve it. By the way, the way the change was stated Liz Porter didn't retire, she took over the magazine. Both Mary Ann and Liz are still working they just decided to have one do the magazine, and one do the television show.
    Thanks for posting this. I did not know she had been so ill. You would not believe it by the way she so happy on the show. Here's a link to her blog from last year. (I just googled it) http://www.heyquilty.com/blogs/?p=633

Blog Entries
    I never heard she has been ill. so sorry to hear that. and Liz moved closer to her grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
    Having a younger quilter on there encourages younger people to quilt
    I think this is it. I often have to tell my mother when she complains about something that we are NOT in the age group they're trying to appeal to!

Well said !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    Isnt it great that we have the choice to change channels? Heavens, who would want to watch a quilter with messy hair?? I suggest that some of you picky people post your picture here so we can see if we like you any longer! Some people just have too much time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    People are entitled to look how they want. Whether or not it looks good or not is a matter of opinion. What you might not like someone else might. They are here to teach us new things, not look like runway models. I happen to like real looking people. I think there are too many people with too much make up, to much nip and tuck surgery which give viewers unrealistics views of how one should look. There is too much emphasis on vanity in the US it should be about what a person is on the inside or what good things they do, not how well made up they are. Just my opinion.
    I agree! And since this is a public forum where the people being criticized are quite likely to see it, the last thing in the world I would do would be to take a jab at someone's appearance!
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I liked the show better when it was Fons and Porter. Not real crazy about Mary and it has nothing to do with her appearance. I find that a lot of people these days look as though they haven't combed their hair nor matched their clothes. So if they are clean I just try and overlook it.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

This is an interesting thread. I agree that the show is not nearly as good without Liz. Liz and Marianne had a good chemistry and I always liked their projects. Mary irritates me with the faces, wisecracks etc. I always think she doesn't know what she's doing.

I quite frankly think the magazine is not nearly as good either. I am thinking I won't renew it because the projects are not as appealing to me. I recently thumbed through a stack of their old issues (late 90's and early 2000). Now I know why I saved them. I liked almost everything in each issue.

I have always been an Eleanor Burns fan. She is an excellent teacher and I love the way she brings historical aspects of quilting into her show. I meet her last year at Sew Expo in WA state. She was just like one of us girls and was so friendly and encouraging. Nancy Zieman is also a gracious, class act lady and an excellent teacher. Meet her at Expo a few years ago and was majorly impressed with her. I love the way she teaches lots of aspects of sewing, quilting and so on. I have enjoyed reading how both of these women took their love of sewing and built a business which has prospered. They are both great role models.

Blog Entries
    I even catch old shows of Georgia Bonesteel. maybe on Create t.v. not sure. I like watching them all. now we will put this to rest. Hugs to Mary ((())) she needs them. more (())

mltquilt - www.QNNtv.com carries Fons & Porter along with other quilting shows if you are looking.

granny65 - www.qnntv.com carries Fons & Porter on their website.

I'm so sorry to learn of Mary's health problems. She is so young to have to suffer such a serious and painful illness. However, her illness doesn't cause her melodrama which makes her hard to watch for some of us. You're right that we have channel selectors and on and off switches and I think that is what we are saying. We don't watch various programs because we don't enjoy the presentation. Which is a bad thing because there is a dearth of professional quilting programs in my area. But thankfully, the web offers many.
    jean

It does not bother me if someone does not like the same shows as me. It was the meanness of some of the remarks that annoyed me.

Oh brother I've never thought of them this way! They just look like normal hard working women to me.

AAD
    well i am agreeing with Peggy. I am so tired of listening to Mary's "excited voice" I just don't watch the show anymore. The hair thing is really bad and I don't think of it as a model or an actor thing just a normal person looking like a professional. the scabbed finger thing does not bother me I know people have accidents but I never see other people doing the same shows have this look. to me they need to act professional not look like they are trying to get through another episode

It was on again yesterday and both Mary and Marianne looked beautiful. Their hair and clothes looked nice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast