Fray Check

Old 02-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Default Fray Check

I just finished a duffel bag & am not going to put a lining inside. I've got a lot of fraying of the seams & was wanting ideas about fray check. I've never used it before. I should be able to turn the bag inside out & zig zag some of the major seams but some I will not be able to get under my machine now that it is assembled. What are your experiences with fray check? I don't think this bag will be washed much (if any) but those seams will still continue to fray with use. Do you think fray check will solve my fraying problem?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:13 AM

It will. But be careful when you apply it not to be too generous because it darkens the fabric. Any that seeps through to the outside of the seam will show up dark.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
It will. But be careful when you apply it not to be too generous because it darkens the fabric. Any that seeps through to the outside of the seam will show up dark.
Thanks for the reply & tip. I will be sure & keep that in mind if I decide to use it. I was able to zig zag most of the seams inside the bag & that helped a lot with the fraying. I'm going to Walmart today & will see if they have Fray Check there. This bag has been a real challenge for me. I've put more thought into it than time & I'm still making modifications.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:35 AM

It would take hand sewing, but you could always use bias binding and hand stitch to cover the fraying edges of the seams you couldn't zig zag. It seems to me that most inner seams on bags are either French Seams or covered with bias tape or something similar. I don't remember seeing any that are just left raw.

Is Fray Check waterproof? When I used it long ago....at least 10 years...I found it left a hard edge and was slightly sharp. It was on a blouse and I had to go back and cover the edges.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

there is a softer one called Fray check i think. but i'd just zig zag the seams.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 AM

I like a product called "Fray Block" better. It doesn't change the color of fabric and does not get stiff. It is made by June Tailor.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ginnyg51 View Post
I like a product called "Fray Block" better. It doesn't change the color of fabric and does not get stiff. It is made by June Tailor.
Very true. I've used them both.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Well, I'm back from Walmart & didn't see any of the Fray Check at the store so I'm going to stick with the zig zag on the seams that I can get to (which is most of them). I'm loving how the bag is turning out but don't think I will ever make another one. I've over-thought & over-researched this one so much that I will just be glad with it is done. I know others have made it with no problems but I'm about ready to call it quits & never make it again. However, that being said, the second time around should be a lot easier! I'll post a picture when it is finally finished. It's the Noodlehead Cargo Duffle Bag pattern that is free on the internet.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:50 AM

The softer one is called Fray Block. I'd zig zag the seams - or serge them then on spots where it looks like it needed a little something extra I'd use the Fray Block.