Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: frizzle bantams????

frizzle bantams????

We recently acquired four bantam frizzles. We were told they were hens by the people raising them. They are very tame and the cutest little things, I am trying to get some pictures, but it's like trying to hit a moving target. They can really move fast when they are startled or frightened.
    They are in a pen right next to the big chickens and they don't pay much attention to each other unless they are all together.
    I've wanted a couple of silkies for a long time. I just had to wait untill it was his idea......They will be next......These are the cutest birds I enjoy just watching them! Any eggs will be a bonus!
    I quilt, therefore I am.

Can't wait to see pictures....love chickens! I am a city girl, but still love the chickens. We have a neighborhood here where they have the run of the town center and I love to go to the park and watch them.

Yes, we want pictures! Two of my friends raise chickens for eggs but I don't know what kind. I enjoy watching them. We live in town and can't have them.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Blog Entries
    Love chickens! Google " fresh eggs Daily" You will love it !
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Oh m'goodness. Is this English
    ~Sharon

Blog Entries
    can't wait to see pictures. love chickens.
    Some of them are so pretty, like the ones you have.
    please, pictures soon.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I am surprised that you say they are good natured. Any bantams that I have encountered have been territorial and cranky little things. They are cute a lay a perfectly formed , miniature egg. Silkies I have found to be lovely. Good luck with your venture.

Oh! Yes, pics please! I love chickens and always have, raised on a farm so I have some knowledge of what it takes to keep 'em. As a kiddo I always loved to watch them and their feathers are beautiful. Always wanted to make a chicken quilt for myself but haven't done it yet! Some day soon I hope-bucket list you know!

Blog Entries
    I just googled them and they are soooo cute! I also love chickens and miss mine very much but I like big brown eggs.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Can't wait to see a picture too. All I have seen are normal chickens that were on my Great Aunt's farm in Kansas.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    You will love the Japanese Silkies. I had some and Miss Eggy loved to just sit on my lap and be petted. And she played with our cat and dog. She was my house chicken.And she loved to take car rides. Her eggs were smaller than a Robins egg

will be waiting to see the pictures you post-love chickens
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

I have a little bantam frizzle cochen named GiGi, she is 6 months old and no eggs yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have laying hens of mixed heritage and in my flock is one bantam girl. Don't know what breed she is but she is the BEST brood hen I have ever had, after our old blind Aricana that a neighbor's dog killed because my husband let her out of the pen . The bantam raises up baby chicks until they are bigger than her and a very good mom. I love my bantam.

Four of my grandchildren live out in the country, not on a farm, and have chickens of many sizes and colors. This year all four of them won Merit ribbons at the county fair, and one was among the finalists for Championship Ribbon. I tried to copy and paste the picture, but it comes out way too big.

lovedquilts, perhaps if you could PM me that picture, I could send it to them.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Lovely! A chook palace is on my bucket list....my husband isn't fond of chickens and he is worried I'll use some for the pot...(he is a city boy and I am from farming stock) Weird, he doesn't particularly like them, but wouldn't want to eat them...Anyway I have promised they would only be providing eggs and could go into a loving retirement and die of old age, so I just may get my way. Would love to see pics of your bantams.

I raise chickens. One of hens is a white silkie, named Snowball. She is a adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    lovedquilts, perhaps if you could PM me that picture, I could send it to them.
    Thanks, Karen. (I have a daughter Karen also.) My daughter, Beth, told me that Frizzle is the name of the breed, and bantam just means that it is small. I didn't know that. Such cute chickens. Ditter (a poster on this board) also posted some pictures of Frizzles. Those pictures, also, are way too big.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher