Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Funny Holiday Memory You'll Never Forget!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries

A Funny Holiday Memory You'll Never Forget!

I was going through some old photos and came across one of my oldest son's upcoming first Christmas. My son was 9 months old and our dog at the time had just had a litter of 6 pups about 4 weeks prior. Well the pups got out of their box and went behind the sparkling and glittery tree with of course the shiny baubles and garland. They were followed by my son and it was getting a little crowded. Heidi (momma dog) went after her babes and I went after mine. Not going to show a photo (uncomplimentary to my backside) but finally got all the babes with Heidi's help from behind the tilting tree. Unfortunately, we had to put up a baby gate to keep all 7 babes from behind the tree. Heidi looked as relieved as I was. She was always retrieving them from under the beds. In the mornings, I would find her and her pups under Tom's bed. I left all sleeping dogs and baby alone. All puppies got gifts of little puppy toys and Heidi got her favorite "TBone". Of course Tom got more toys than any 9 month old needs!
    What is the funniest you remember? The above was the first one that always comes to mind this time of year!

My two nieces, daughter and nephew for years made up a nativity play to perform at the big family dinner. My parents had a raised family room so they had a natural stage. And they were hams. My nephew was the youngest by two years and the year he was five they all marched off to Grandpa's room to rehearse. About 15 minutes later we hear shouting, then my nephews strong little man voice yelling, "I am not going to be the baby again!" It got quiet and when they came out, he was Josheph and a doll was the baby.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

When my children were about 6 yr, 8 yr, and 14 yrs old, I decided to switch up the names on the package, any presents for Jeremy had Julie's name on it, and Jeremy had Jennifer's name, and Jennifer had Jeremy's name on it. I wrap and put present under the tree days before Christmas. My son just kept handling one of the presents with his name on it, just totally confused on what it was. When it was time to open gifts I let Jeremy go first he opened the present that had his curiosity, when he opened it there was a Barbie doll, he almost threw it saying "this is not for me" and was mad. He was 8 his little sister Julie was 6. I then told them about the names on the packages. They were not amused and pointed out it is not fair...LOL Now they laugh about it.
    Dyan

I have a picture of my oldest dd when she was about 10 with a bow on her rear end and crawling under the tree. I had told her that she couldn't get under the tree unless she was a present and was wearing a bow. So that's what she did. She's 20 now and married. Very sweet memory.

As a youngster, my son loved building and painting model toys. He was so sure he was getting a box of model paints. We wrapped an identical box containing a dozen eggs as his present. Was he ever surprised when he opened those eggs!

"When my children were about 6 yr, 8 yr, and 14 yrs old, I decided to switch up the names on the package, any presents for Jeremy had Julie's name on it, and Jeremy had Jennifer's name, and Jennifer had Jeremy's name on it. I wrap and put present under the tree days before Christmas."

HA HA- One year it didn't put any names on the packages for our three girls. Each one had a specific wrapping paper, but they didn't figure it out. I was trying to camouflage one gift. It was very funny.

Santa Claus came to our church at the end of the Christmas program when my daughter was three. When she saw him coming down the isle, she bolted from my lap and went barreling down the isle to meet him, saying, "Santa Cwas, Santa Cwas, did you bwang my Bawbie doll?"

Blog Entries
    I remember back in the 40's when "Santa" brought me a Dy-Dee Doll (Remember them?). Anyhow, I woke up during the night and my uncle was doing something with the doll. I went back to bed and then next morning I got up to see what Santa brought me. What ho!!!!! A Dy-Dee Doll, the one that drank out of a "baby" bottle and wet its diaper. Checked that little doll out from stem to stern. Seems liked little Doll had an accident during the night --- or was it Uncle Bob and the Grey Poupon mustard he put in the diaper! I did get my Dy-Dee Doll! I was about five then.

I also remember being 1/4 snockered on Christmas Eve and had to be at church to play the organ for the Christmas program. Mom gave me a greasy pork chop "Here, eat this, you won't get sick." Well, I played "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" for the Opening of the service first and only time in my entire life without a mistake. I just got a Clavinova a few months ago. Got out my Christmas music and tried "Jesu, Joy...." and the record will stand. After all those years (December 24, 1959 to be exact) I still made the mistake. It was three weeks before that I had met my future husband of almost 53 years. Wonderful Christmas. I was 21 then.

Or the time I was Gabriel and Mom was the costume maker and the official robe, surplice and altar covers maker for the church. Anyhow, I am standing there in my white angel gown, my wings hand shaped b y Mom with gold fringe around the edges and a halo of gold attached to my head with bobby pins. I started in "Fear Not, for behold I bring you tidings of great joy which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City a David, a Savior who is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger." I was Gabriel. I memorized Gabriel speaking to the shepherds. I was somebody! At which point, my little sister (who is now 67 and a grandmother) yells at the top of her voice - If she's an angel, how come she isn't flying?"
    I had just learned what total embarrassment was. And now, of course, along with my other sister, they are my very best friends. Merry Christmas, Ruthie, you little Devil!!!!!" I was around 10 or 11.

Those are my favorite Christmases. They must have been - I remember them so clearly. May your memories be as good. I'm 76 now. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I remember one year when my daughter was about 10 and my son was five, they got up about 2:30 in the morning to see if Santa came. I was still up, my husband was in the shower. He had just spent about 1 1/2 hours putting together a 10 speed bike. The kids got to the living room before I could stop them, and saw Santa had been there. I was a softie and didn't make them go back to bed, but they had to wait till Daddy was done to open their presents. While we were sitting there waiting, my son asked how Santa got in, since we didn't have a fireplace. I told him he just came right through the closed front door. His eyes lit up and he said, "mom, what did you say when you saw him?" Not thinking, I told him I said "holy sh*t!" Now, I NEVER swore in front of my kids, so they started laughing, and to this day (they are now 42 and 37) I still am reminded by them of this story. Of all the happy Christmas memories, this is the one they remember!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

When my daughter was 8 and learned the truth about Santa, she was devastated. All the magic of Christmas was gone for her. I felt terrible for her – we both cried. We got her a puppy, which she had wanted forever but my husband had always said no dogs. We carefully researched breeds and found the most adorable pup ever; she fit in the palm of your hand. We let her little brother come hand it to her Christmas morning and I tear up just thinking of it. She was so shocked – definitely some of the magic was restored!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

What a great thread!

Our daughter was just about 1 for her first Christmas. My family never had a tree up for Christmas UNTIL Santa did it it when he came. (Between that and present wrapping, etc., Santa was really busy.) So, Santa put up the "first" tree, etc. Lights and decorations galore. Presents were placed and Santa put together all the gifts that required pliers and screwdrivers, and, .... Santa and elf collapsed into bed.

Our daughter woke the next morning and was carried out to the living room and placed on the floor. Her eyes were huge. She headed toward the tree, crawling at high speed. AND SHE STOPPED, TURNED ASIDE, AND HEADED TOWARD THE COFFEE TABLE. Santa had left a pliers and a wrench on the table. Guess who settled down, totally ignoring the tree and glittery gifts, with the pliers and the wrench. DH and I still shake our heads over that one. And smile.

We all spent time last evening planning the workshop and home she and her fiancee are going to build on the tree farm they recently purchased. Note the order of shop and home. She is still tool obsessed.

I am so glad all of you tell stories. How much better life is with a joyful story to warm it.

Thanks,

Pat

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    LOLing!!!! great memories!! Another I remember one Christmas, my Dad almost through the gifts away he got my mother. Jewelry was always saving his butt for Christmas. He was a stickler for gathering up all the torn gift wrap and sticking it into a garbage bag. We would display all the gifts under the tree after opening. When it came time to put Mom's under the tree and also a pair of cuff links for Dad, they were no where to be found. Quickly, my brother ran for the garbage that Dad stuffed into the burning barrel that was already on fire. Big old bucket of water put that fire out. Christmas was saved!

My oldest DGD was about 4 years old and just adored me, as I adored her. She was in the Christmas play at their church. I sat next to my daughter and her husband in the third row, his parents sat behind us. When Alex came onto the stage with the other children, she kept waving to me. Finally in the middle of the song, she just could not stand it any longer and she left the stage and came down to sit on my lap for a few minutes and give me a hug. I asked her if she was ready to go back and sing some more so she said yes, and she walked back on stage. Everyone except my son-in-law's parents thought it was precious, but they were a little jealous I think. I will never forget how she looked at me that day. She is now 21 and still loves me that much.

Thanks to my grandson, we enjoyed a nativity scene with the Wise Men and shepherds accompanied by Power Rangers.

I went to visit my sister for the holidays and took my daughter and Siamese Male cat Sam. My sister had a female dog named Suzy. They were the same size and got along just fine. But, one day they were chasing each other around the living room and Sam decided to climb the Christmas tree, up he went and Suzy tried to follow. Boy, what a mess we had to clean up. Funny now, but not so funny then.

When my oldest son was in kindergarten his class put on a play at the Christmas program. Each student had a line from "The Night before Christmas to recite" My son's line was....out on the lawn there arose such a clatter. I told him before we went to the program to speak up nice and loud. He stepped up to say his line and he shouted...and out on the lawn there is a roast on the platter. Everyone in the audience burst out laughing. he was so upset, but we have laughed about it many times since.
    A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    These are such precious, sweet stories; enjoying them so much! I hope we continue to post until Christmas morning, sort of like our scrappy quilts section.

Two of my favorite memories occurred to me in adulthood. In one, I lived for 7 years in Germany and spent our first Christmas there in Zermatt, Switzerland on a ski trip. We rode a narrow gauge train through the snowy mountains for a long time, looking out the window down the mountainside with the train wheels right at the very edge of the cliff on one side and nearly brushing the hill on the other side.

When we finally arrived arrived after dark in the town of Zermatt, we learned that there were very few - mostly emergency - vehicles in the town. We walked across an area to the backside of the baunhof (train station) where we kept hearing bells tinkling. As we came around the side of the building, there sat several wonderful, brightly-colored horse drawn sleighs with bells and horses with steaming nostrils!!

We boarded our sleigh for the long ride to our hotel and settled in covered in lovely, cozy fur lap robes. As we rode through the town, people in other sleighs and others just walking called Merry Christmas in many languages. The air was so festive it was hard not to cry and rejoice at the same time! I was still fairly newly married and had just learned I was pregnant.

I had fondue for the first time there, and gluhwein, what a special memory!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    My favorite Christmas memory was the year I had a stroke on December 5th. The day I was released from the hospital was also the day of DD's "Winter Concert" at school. My daughter had been taking sign language classes, and her class was asked to stand in front of the choir risers and sign the Christmas carols, wearing black clothing and white gloves. My DD was the shortest in the class so she was in the center front of the group with students arranged by height so that the tall kids were on the ends. As the choir started to sing, the choir directors "error" made everyone giggle. He had placed my DD in the center front, and forgot she was the class "lefty", so there they were all signing for all they were worth, and my DD in the middle signing everything in reverse!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

My mom always told me the story of my first Christmas when I knocked the Christmas tree over and the tree was on top of me with all the lights on! Of course, I also must tell you that I was almost 1 when that happened as I was born the day after Christmas.

The gifts I received from my husband one Christmas consisted of: a pair of flannel PJ's with the feet in and trap door in the back, a pet rock, a mood ring and an iron.....He's not my husband anymore.....

When my son was 6, we got him this inflatable robot on wheels that was remote controlled...so Christmas morning my husband hid in the kitchen and remotely guided the robot out into the living room...my poor son was so scared he jumped up onto, then over the back of the couch, ran like crazy, and was halfway out the front door before we could react and catch him! Poor kid! We thought it would be fun!

Leading up to last Christmas, I enjoyed watching my almost 3 year old grandson playing with the nativity scene. It was very 'new millenium'... Mary and Joseph went by race car (a shoebox) to Disneyland (the weather was hot and sunny) for Mary to 'get' baby Jesus. After a quick detour to the North Pole (to see whales and polar bears) and the South Pole (to see penguins), they arrived home (race car shoe box again) and Joseph went right to work at the fire hall (the nativity stable)...(His daddy is a firefighter).

When my son was 5 he belonged to the Indian Guides. They had a Christmas party and each child was to bring something to exchange as a gift. We got the book Santa Bear. He LOVED that book and wished he could keep it. But we wrapped it and took it to the party - where it got placed in the Santa bag with all the other gifts.
    Each child went up and chose a present from the Santa bag....my son was last in line - and low and behold --- the last thing in the bag was the Santa Bear book. He was the happiest child you ever saw - just SURE that Santa knew how much he loved that book, and made it come back to him.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    my favorite Christmas memory actually started on Christmas eve. we were living in nh and i was pregnant, and overdue, with our first child. it was brutally cold, and crystal clear as we headed to the hospital in concord. it was a relatively small hospital. we arrived at the desk and i asked if there was room for a nice Jewish couple who were going to have a baby boy for Christmas. the receptionist smiled and said, 'no, but there's a nice stable in the back under a very bright street light, and you'll know it by the cattle lowing.' as it was, our son, joshua, was born at 7:15 december 24. my dear mother in law got to know him as an infant, her favorite stage. and my dear sister got to know his as a toddler, her favorite stage. each passed on. today, 36years later, i remember the joy he brought to our family in a time of sorrow and pain. he is still my brightest Christmas star.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

I remember one year my brother and I were at the point of not really believing in Santa, but not wanting to admit it. So we decided to set a trap. We took a spool of thread and wrapped it from one piece of furniture to the next starting with the front door and it wove a spider web all over the living room. We felt sure we were going to catch Daddy playing Santa. Since we didn't have a fireplace, we felt sure that is how he got in.

Christmas morning we excitedly ran to the living room to see the damage, but low and behold, the thread was still all in place. And the presents were all under the tree. We never did figure out how Daddy accomplished that. I'm thinking we were wrong about Santa.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast