Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
FYI about sitting with your foot tucked under you.... >

FYI about sitting with your foot tucked under you....

FYI about sitting with your foot tucked under you....

Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM

That's ok, Quiltncrazy, I'm still me. lol!!!! :wink:

I am wishing I would have done the exercise there in his office, instead of just watching him. The exercise is for some muscle that the sciatic nerve goes through... I think the muscle is kind of a c shape? Apparently how I'd been sitting had tightened up this muscle, putting pressure on the nerve, which causes pain in my right hip.
He stood in front of a chair, put his right foot on it, with the foot turned kind of inwards, and kind of on it's side........ then slightly bent over it. He said you can't overdo this exercise.
I wonder if there's any physical therapists/doctors on here, who can explain it all better?
And yes, I am one of those who really should be recording what all is said in the doctor's office! :roll: lol!!!!!
But if they're already aching, maybe they need to have an adjustment? Maybe they could call a chiropractor, and ask them about all of this?
:D
Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

That's why when I'm on the sofa I go straight for the reclining position. :D
Old 11-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MollieSue
That's ok, Quiltncrazy, I'm still me. lol!!!! :wink:

I am wishing I would have done the exercise there in his office, instead of just watching him. The exercise is for some muscle that the sciatic nerve goes through... I think the muscle is kind of a c shape? Apparently how I'd been sitting had tightened up this muscle, putting pressure on the nerve, which causes pain in my right hip.
He stood in front of a chair, put his right foot on it, with the foot turned kind of inwards, and kind of on it's side........ then slightly bent over it. He said you can't overdo this exercise.
I wonder if there's any physical therapists/doctors on here, who can explain it all better?
And yes, I am one of those who really should be recording what all is said in the doctor's office! :roll: lol!!!!!
But if they're already aching, maybe they need to have an adjustment? Maybe they could call a chiropractor, and ask them about all of this?
I think I get you! The idea is to stretch the gluteus maximus, (butt cheek for some)...to get the kinks out...limber up the muscles that have to work with the hip joint and thigh bone...bc the sciatic nerve starts back there and goes down the whole leg.
You know where it is, but for those that don't? You don't want to find out. It will hurt from your spine, real bad in the hip, and all the way down to my big toe! um, your big toe, lol.
I think you face chair, put foot in it, curve foot almost on it's out side...and then bend forward.
You know, sometimes, I lay on my back and bring knees up to my chest, and it's to stretch back there. Think this will be easier on me. I have reflux.
Now, just have to be careful and don't fall over. I have done that a lot lately!
ppl, keep your eyes open, you can get dizzy :roll:
Old 11-12-2009, 06:56 PM

I can't believe anyone was able to follow my description, but you got it!
lol!!!!!
I'm not sure if it's the gluteus maximus or not, but the exericse is right! My ache is deep inside my hip, doesn't go down my leg, etc.
Although in the past I've had it do that!
I was waiting for him to fall over, when he was showing it to me. He has much better balance than I do! lol!!!!
I hope it helps!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM

I haven't been able to sit like that for years, if I tried it now I'd break my knee LOL It's bad on osteo arthritic knees....sooooo STOP SITTING THAT WAY!! LOL
Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 PM

MollieSue, I still sit with one foot tucked under me also. I'm an old lady, and have done it all my life. You're right, it is a hard habit to break.
As for the pain in the sciatic nearve pain, lower back and hip pain, the best thing I ever did for that was start walking. I used to have so much pain in those area. After I started walking every day or so the pain mostly went away.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:06 PM

MOLLIESUE

I have no problem with sitting on my foot.....the reason.......
I can't get the foot there to sit on.......

Wish the knees would bend like that again..but that's 100% doubtful ...
LOLOLOL

you could always put good music on while sitting and tap the tootsies along with the beat.......that will keep them moving and out from under you !!!!!

mj
Old 11-14-2009, 12:12 PM

I am doing better, about not tucking, but it is hard! Just about everytime I go to sit, my foot goes up..... lol!!!!
I'll have to try the foot tapping! :wink: :D
Old 11-14-2009, 12:23 PM

Ladies...

I live in NJ and we have exercise classes for Osteo...very slow movements.

I go two times a week and they last about an hour to 1 1/2 hours. We do warm-ups....use weights for leg and arm exercises....and then close with some stretching.

The planned routines are from the Meridian hospital group and each group has an instructor, who most of the time is a RN.

It is free with the exception of purchasing the weights and binder at the first session.

We just heard that these exercise classes are going nationwide.
............when, ????,
but sometime in the future....

It is supposed to be helpful for when one might fall, tends to protect the bones.........at least, hopefully.

We just heard yesterday that one lady from our group, who I believe is near 80, fell the other day and really got quite bruised and scraped...but NO BROKEN BONES.

If you hear of this in your area, check it out......
It is called

PROJECT HEALTHY BONES...
an osteoporosis prevention, exercise & education program for older adults

Old 11-14-2009, 12:27 PM

My leg and back ached on the left side..it was hard to walk sometimes i dragged the leg....everytime it started to feel better i would sit on it again...it took me a while to figure it out....i start to get pain again if i cross my knees and sit on foot...so no more...my dr couldn't catch this one i had corisone shots xrays ultra sound...if it doesn't hurt now it will...good luck