Garage Sale Tips?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM

DIL and GD had a garage sale and gave change for hundred dollar bills that were counterfeit . Their spouses tried to hunt them down but they were long gone. Of course, they called police and again, got nowhere.
Makes a person not trust anyone.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I always keep a basket of misc. cheap toys (fast food kids meal toys) with a sign " free" for the little kids. Parents around here set them loose in the sale to distract you while they rob you. Sad, but true. My basket usually grabs the kids attention and I can focus mine!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:37 AM

People steal anything ..... anywhere. Period.

I was talking to a new quilt shop owner who was heartbroken to admit to me that someone stole one of her quilted handbag samples. I still remember painstakingly painting a slip cast circus elephant in jr. High. I anxiously looked forward to seeing the final result when it came out of the kiln. Alas.....I never saw my project. Still ticks me off to this day. I worked hard on that project.

If you have some items of value, perhaps donating them to a local charity will yield a tax write-off vs selling at your sale. Just a thought. Thinking furniture, nice cookware, etc. Not sure what you are going to put in your sale.
s
andy
Old 04-04-2014, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

you might try a neighborhood garage sale. ask your neighbors if they would like to join you and have a big sale with lots of "eyes" to help. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:58 AM

Update! The oddest thing happened yesterday morning. I went to our old house to sort through the garage sale items and price them. I had the garage door open to give me more light, and people started coming to my house! One of our neighbors had a garage sale so people from her house wandered over to my house. I explained to these people that my sale is next weekend, but they just sort of started looking through my stuff and making offers. None were great offers, but after a couple of hours, I made $200! I still have enough stuff to have my planned garage sale next weekend.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Well that's nice! Hope things go well with the official sale too. It feels good when someone pays to buy your stuff!