Gardening

Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 AM

Well we got everything from a-z here and thought I'd ask about gardening; do you take the time to plant any flowers or veggies? What do you plant or what are you going to plant, do you do container gardening or just put them in the ground? Or both?

Or you aren't interested in gardening? thats ok too.

Love to cook and thought fresh herbs would be a way to go, Planted some Cumin, oregano, thyme, just a start anyway, OH! and planted a sprig (limb) of a Rosemary bush!
I planted 3 tomato plants, and hot peppers. Want to plant some more, but my yard is so full of rocks and mainly clay. So I also am trying to do container gardening as well, going to plant some marigold seeds and some other things .
anyway ladies you have a great day!!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

We live in am apartment so we are not allowed to plant and my back porch is too small for container planting. I would love to have a garden.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 AM

Gardening oh i have tomato plants, bell peppers,okra,squash 3rd year grapes, blue berry 3rd year asperigres 2nd and 3rd year. Flowers lots of them
Old 05-10-2011, 04:11 AM

Al righty then! thats great. I am just starting out on mine!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:44 AM

It has been so cold here that I have barely started. I want to plant tomaotes, green pepers, hot peppers, cukes, squash, and some pumpkins for my daughter. I love living out in the country and dont think I would be happy in the city again... oh yeah and my husband planted a azalia bush and two bleeding heart plants for me on mothers day.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 AM

I love to garden! When I moved into this house, my huge yard was a blank slate! The only plant was one lonely tulip. The previous owner had ripped out everything (including the kitchen sink!)
I am slowly adding more plants and flowers. I have a small vegetable garden, but still have my seedlings inside as we are advised not to start our gardens outside until mid-May. So, next week I'll be putting my plants out if I can get my garden weed-free by then.
I mostly plant varieties of squash and eggplant, but I do have tomatoes, fennel and leek started this year. My herbs are not doing much yet. If my fruit trees start baring, I'll be set!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 AM

Like to garden, I planted Jumping Johnny's. They come back every year, and really hard to get rid of. Almost like a weed.

But this means I don't have to buy many flowers and don't worry about planting next year. To me they are so beautiful, they look like the smaller version of pansies.

Should you plant herbs, some of them are better kept in a container, so they don't overtake your yard. They are good for pest control too. Peppermint is wonderful for a fresh tea, but will creep everywhere if not contained.
Enjoy your planting,
Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 AM

I love my gardens, both vegie and multiple flower gardens. About a month ago in my vegie garden I have planted broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, Swiss chard, beets, and parsnips. These are cool weather crops and can stand some frost. In a couple weeks, I will plant out tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, green beans, etc. I have flowers all over the place, many perennials and some annuals to fill in spaces.

Gardening is getting harder and harder each year as my body gets older and older. But I keep thinking that gardening is keeping me younger though!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:04 AM

I love gardening and just spent my morning outside working on plants and shrubs. Our weather has been rainy and cool this spring so I haven't planted anything yet but will do some container gardening and my son is going to help me make two square foot gardening areas. I too have had a blank slate to work with for the past eight years and it has been so much fun. I've had to deal with alot of rocks and clay but I've managed to add some soil in areas to make it more garden-friendly.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 AM

Oh Lovingmama,so were would i find the plant Jumping Johnny's at? I would love to put some of those out Thanks in advance(:)