Geneology

Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 PM

I use ancestry.com, familysearch.org, findagrave.com and seekingmichigandeaths.com. I have found amazing things working on this. Very addicting and fun.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

The GenWeb sites is where I have also found a lot of information. Each state has one. The Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa have decent Civil War information--these are the states I've looked in--if you are searching for CW info.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 PM

I've been doing genealogy since the late 90's. I've discovered so much, but the best part has been all the distant cousins I've had the privilege to meet all over the country. Some in person and some by email only, but it has been incredibly rewarding. As for ancestors, many of them are quite illusive, but that's part of the fun of trying to put together the puzzle!
Old 11-05-2011, 04:45 PM

I've been so lucky in genealogy, I've found cousins willing to share photos, and a distant cousin in Missouri who posted on find a grave. I've hit a few snags, my ancestor James Armstrong (1750-1805) was born in scotland and passed in Kentucky. I have journal writings from his grandson (my gg-gf) who was obviously feeling like the last one left and wrote about his brothers and sisters and a few other relatives -(the stories are great to have!!) I'm so lucky to have the transcribed versions of these but would love to have actual copies. I spoke to the relative who has these but she's in her 80's and didn't seem to want to dig them out of any boxes. She said they were in pretty poor condition when she transcribed them. Anyway, nobody seems to have verified the dates of our original ancestor's move from Scotland to america and there's also a little discrepancy about his wife's maiden name. If I didn't have husband and kids, I'd love to move east and bury myself in those libraries and see what I can find.
I also have ancestors who moved from France to Canada and have had trouble with the French research. Someday I think I'll just pay to have a french researcher see what they can find and get better dates and maybe even some stories. I like the stories best.
Then there are the original dutch settlers - which is so cool to know but I have to do some detailed research and have been procrastinating
I'd love to have a quilting buddy and a genealogy buddy but so far haven't found these things locally, but this quilting board fills the void.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:55 PM

I have been pecking away at it slowly but surely ,can't say I know what I am doing but I am sure things will fall in place.I don't like it when I get a name but can find nothing on that person. Hubby got me subscription to ancestry for Mothers day ,have to say it is worth it to a point.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:31 PM

I worked on family genealogy for about three years, increased the family list of names from 600 to some 2600; retired, moved, and the computer crashed with all the records on it. So, if you are doing your research work on the computer, please, back up your work often.

I did discover cousins who got in touch with me and loved getting to know them and to share information. Unsure if I will ever reconstruct all the family names again. Time will tell.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Try familysearch.org. Lots of info, no charge or look up an LDS chapel in your area & get location of their family search library (Geneology), and their times it is open. LOTS of good help available. All for free (printed copies do cost 10 cents each. Good luck
Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Have been researching for many years...have done not only my own but many trees for others as well. It is a passion and also an addiction. Have made wonderful friends, met family I would never have known and learned so much about history and culture. I am in FL if anyone needs help down here. I am currently working on my husband's Sicilian heritage. Happy hunting,
Old 11-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Have been trying to get some done on both sides of the family......very time consuming. But interesting to find out about the family. Have met some of my cousins on facebook that I have never seen.

Thanks for the offer......will have to keep you in mind if I have a question.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:16 PM

I'm addicted to family research, like I am to quilting. The Library of Congress has digitalized some newspapers, and posted them to their website. Chronicling America. If you are as lucky as I am as to have my hometown newspaper on line from the 1870's-1922....you'll think you've died and gone right to heaven with your family!!! I've found so many blurbs that gave me insite into every life of my family. I've also been able to help others. I don't want to forget those who are responsible for our being.......