Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Get The Smoke Out???

Any ideas on getting the smoke out of your home? My husband, myself and our 20 year old son have all stopped smoking. We would really like to get the smoke out of our home. I know opening up the house will help but it is to hot now. Maybe in October or November. (live in Florida)
    Any help?
    Thanks, Gwen

Citrus fragrances are natural odor neutralizers. I can personally recommend the Citrus Magic line of air fresheners as well as candles from the Legendary Candle Company. Both use natural essential oils for their fragrances.

We have had apartments with smokers, and we washed all the walls with ammonia water. Fantastik also works wonders on the walls, furniture, etc. and to get rid of the greasy build-up from smoke.
    Having your carpets done professionally helps too.
    Vinegar in the rinse water of the washer helps to get the smell out of clothes too.
    Hope this helps! :)

Congratulations on quitting smoking. I've heated vinegar in the microwave to eliminate fish smells, don't know if it will work on smoke or not. Worth a try.

You might try washing the walls and ceiling with sugar soap. Its a natural product and will not hurt your paintwork.

When we quit smoking 6 years ago, I sent all the drapes out to be dry cleaned. I shampooed all the carpets at least 3 times, scrubbed walls and aired the house out for days.

Here's a little decorating tip that works well with furniture - like sofa and seating....just slide dryer sheet between the cushions, under arm pads, etc. - real estate agents do this when trying to remove smoke smells when getting a home ready for potential buyers.

Congratulations to you all! You may want to call one of the cleaning companies that specialize in cleaning after damage. My neighbors had a fire in thier basement that left smoke damage and they did a great job. I called the company myself when I accidently dumped a full gallon of latex paint on new carpet! Believe it or not, they cleaned my carpet perfectly and it wasn't too expensive either. Nowadays they use oder neutralizers and should do a great job on your rugs and upholstery. It's worth a little expense. If scrubbing the walls doesn't work for you they do sell paint that will trap the odor. Congratulations again, thats fantastic!

Zero Oder works quite well. It is a product to remove pet odors from anything. I use it when I launder quilts and none of my customers know I smoke because they do not smell it on the fabrics.

Thanks to all, I will give some of these a try.
    If you have any other ideas let me know.
    I am thinking that I may have to wash all of my fabric, really do not want to I like the quilt to shrink some when I was it for that old look, so not sure what to do about that. May try the dryer sheets between some of the fabric.
    Thanks,
    Gwen

Zero Oder?? Where can I get this?
    Gwen

Set a few bowls of vinegar around. It will take a lot of it away.

Blog Entries
    you can also see if you can rent an ozone machine. My parents use to use it when they had a dry cleaners and hotels use it when someone smokes in a non smoking room.

I dont know who would rent them but I am sure someone does. maybe look up online

Cigarette smoke permeates everything, upholstery, curtains, carpets. It even leaves a film on the walls. You will have to do a lot of cleaning to get rid of the smell. I would hire someone to come in and clean all the carpets and upholstered furniture. Then the rest will be up to you.
    When I was young I worked for a man who owned a lot of apartments. I would go in and clean after people moved out. No matter how clean people were, if they smoked in the apartment, it was a major cleaning job.
    Congratulations to you all for quitting! It was the best thing you could have done for yourselves!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :-D

You may have to have inside of house painted. Use Kilz as base coat then paint as usual. Having professional cleaning
    done. ex: company that cleans after a fire

Glad the family quit smoking.

Congratulations to the 3 of you. I quit 13 years ago. First thing I did was to wash anything that would fit in the washing machine. I washed all the walls, carpets, etc.
    If you have to hire someone, you really won't be out the money because of what you're saving on not buying cigaretts.
    Another added benefit - look at all the money you can spend on fabric! good luck.

Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I ever did! My roommate smokes, and I use a commercial spray that is used after fire cleanups. It is called ZEP Professional Smoke and Odor Neutralizer, which "chemically neutralizes the source of Malodors"

No website listed, but the ZEP, Inc. address is in Atlanta, GA

It works like a charm.

If you have a Sam's club card (they don't carry it at Wal-mart) there is a product called 'Odo-Ban' It comes in a gallon jug and frequently has an added spray bottle full with it. You can use this on anything! I put it in wash, use it in cleaning bucket, spray on furniture, and deodorizer spray. It is amazing what smells it takes out. It also is a disinfectant. It is around 10 bucks a gallon, but you only use a small amount.

Good luck and congratulations!

JJs
    Banned
    you can always set some boxes of baking soda around behind stuff until you can get everything cleaned...

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    you can also see if you can rent an ozone machine. My parents use to use it when they had a dry cleaners and hotels use it when someone smokes in a non smoking room.

I dont know who would rent them but I am sure someone does. maybe look up online
    I have one of those machines and it works great. My BIL gave me a microwave that had been on fire and was smokey. Even after a couple of years, could still smell the smoke. We set the machine so it would blow into the open door and about an hour later, no smell and it never came back. It also neutralizes any smells that gets into your house. I got it at
    http://www.air-zone.com/ It wasn't cheap but worth the money.

be sure to keep track of all the money you spend on getting the odors out.
    That way , if one of the three of you wants to start up again, you can say
    "ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WE JUST SPENT TO GET THE SMOKE SMELLS OUT!!!!"

Good incentive to stay off them

Congrats and good luck to all of you..

Air purifiers work well.

Check the hardware store for Odo-Ban. Our local Ace carries it in the housewares area.

congrats on giving up I know how hard it is I tried 3 times before I quit for good. as far as the smoke we had our furniture in storage for 6 months and when it was being brought into the house I could smell the smoke and wondered who was smoking till I realized it was my own furniture. I have found a mixture of 1 cup vinegar 1 table spoon of eucalyptus oil in a 500 ml spray bottle topped with water is a great room deodorizer people don't even notice the cats. I use eucalyptus oil in my mop water on my wooden floors they come up a treat. I also use it on my kitchen benches as a disinfectant. and on my lounge I also use it in the rinse water in the washer.

When I quit smoking I opened the windows when I could, used Frabreese, Lysol, and put fragrances around the house. I washed my clothes again before I wore them. It was quite awhile before I got my sense of smell back so the smell around the house didn't bother me. What bothered me most was how other people smell. If some women knew how their perfume affect other people they would be more careful of the amount used. Also! now I can't stand the smell of stale smoke on other people.
    Marilyn