Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: getting rid of moles in the yard

How do you get rid of moles in your yard?
    I can't seem them working - only the results where they
    have been digging tunnels.

throw mothballs in the holes. You should be able to find the entrance hole and where he came out. My dad has a mole killer apparatus and I have set that contraption for him and haven't had to deal with the aftermath.......but it is like a guillatine for moles........ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. I got good at mole hunting around here.......lol. The moles must have gotten wind of that contraption because they haven't been around since last year... 8-)

Blog Entries
    Best mole eliminator you can get is a cat. Our outside cat catches and kills all our moles. I find one every so often at the back door, his way of saying I'm doing my job here. DH says he's the only pet we have that earns his keep.

Blog Entries
    Had them in the back yard. Dachshunds went to work, dug up all their trails. Killed one, so they moved into the dog free front yard. So now I have trenches in the back yard, and sink holes in the front! I wish the cats would go after them, the only thing they have been catching is the voles. harmless voles!

My husband has killed over 20 in one year, and usually averages around a 12-15. He's darn good at it but it takes patience and time.

He can work from home whenever he wants and takes frequent trips into the garden. He studies it. If he sees a new trench he immediately grabs the hose and plunges the running hose into the trench (which is easy because the earth is very soft where they've dug. He then waits. He may have to move the hose further down the trench if the mole doesn't come up within say 5 minutes, but the mole will have to come up (if indeed it is a fresh trench - if not - he probably has moved on to somewhere else). Once the mole emerges - he stabs him with a knife. Brutal. I can't watch it. Hubby doesn't enjoy it - hates it in fact, but nothing else has worked (not moth balls, not stink bombs, not traps).

So far (knock on wood) we haven't had any moles in the yard this year. We're watching though.

The other moles heard about that knife too....lol!

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    My husband has killed over 20 in one year, and usually averages around a 12-15. He's darn good at it but it takes patience and time.

He can work from home whenever he wants and takes frequent trips into the garden. He studies it. If he sees a new trench he immediately grabs the hose and plunges the running hose into the trench (which is easy because the earth is very soft where they've dug. He then waits. He may have to move the hose further down the trench if the mole doesn't come up within say 5 minutes, but the mole will have to come up (if indeed it is a fresh trench - if not - he probably has moved on to somewhere else). Once the mole emerges - he stabs him with a knife. Brutal. I can't watch it. Hubby doesn't enjoy it - hates it in fact, but nothing else has worked (not moth balls, not stink bombs, not traps).

So far (knock on wood) we haven't had any moles in the yard this year. We're watching though.

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread
    How do you get rid of moles in your yard?
    I can't seem them working - only the results where they
    have been digging tunnels.
    If you have a cat and use a litter box put your used litter in the mole holes!

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

Funny but my Mom told that her Daddy would trap the moles and Skin them. then She rememberd him making her Doll a Fur coat with A mole skin! She said it was so soft! she loved it!! Shes gone now, was born in 1914, past in 2003. miss her. 8-)

We have the same problem. Our outdoor cat brings me one or two, but it doesn't seem to make a dent in the mole population.

My little Jack Russell female takes care of the moles around here along with the opossums and anything else that she can except she doesn't bother our cat. They get along great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    throw mothballs in the holes. You should be able to find the entrance hole and where he came out.
    I have to laugh. I originally read this as 'throw meatballs' in the holes. ROFL

Blog Entries
    My DH's aunt would chew Juicyfruit gum, then put it in the hole. She swore that killed them.

OMG !!!We cannot get rid of them and we have tried EVERYTHING. I told my Dad one day that the kill pellets are an aphrodesic( you makes you horny) and they invite all the neighborhood moles over here to party. :cry: :cry:

Thanks for all the replies. Some, we have tried, others not. Been fighting them forever, it seems. We have no cats or dogs.

Blog Entries
    HAve you tried garlic. In another post we were discussing garlic and some were saying that it keeps moles away.

Two Jack Russell terriers.

Not like it matters, though, since the trenches the dogs dig are far worse than the mole holes!

Harbor Freight has a solar mole chaser. We haven't seen any moles since we placed them in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by bjeriann
    My DH's aunt would chew Juicyfruit gum, then put it in the hole. She swore that killed them.
    I heard that it clogs up their "plumbing" and kills them.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    NOTHING short of out right murder works..we have tried it all..juicy fruit gum, poison peanuts, the vibrating shock thing you stick in the ground...NADA..and they do love my garden and my flower bed..

#1- you have to sprinkly your lawn with grub killer...or milky spore..either way you have to kill the grubs..the moles eat the grubs..no grubs..no food for the moles!

#2- if they do start to tunnel have your hubby make a "GASSER"..my hubby uses and old edge trimmer(manly beasty thing) and he has a hose hooked up the exhaust..that hose goes into the tunnel hole and then he turns it on and gasses the moles...sometimes we see the smoke come from holes all over the yard..it takes a few tries, but in a day or two there are NO new tunnels!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    We live out in the country so they will forever be a problem.. However, lol.. Hubby and I drive over the 'new' trenches.. Smooshes the tunnels and hopefully the mole too!! But we do have a wonderful hunter- Sally.. Shes our outdoor cat and is great for leaving her 'treasures' by the the front door. God forbid you forget to put your shoes on before heading out the front door to the porch.. Made that mistake once and I WILL NEVER FORGET AGAIN!!!!

I beleive the moles are coming to your yard because of grubs in the ground, they are feeding on them. Find a way to get rid of the food supply and the moles will not have an interest in your yard. Suggesting a farm chemical supply store for ways to get the grubs. It works in our area.

Our little Jack Russell "Beany Boy" and his new little (ha ha) brother "Hobo" seem to have solved our problem with the moles!! They bring them to me after they have exterminated them. Other than that I have tried the moth balls, juicy fruit gum in the hole, some stuff from the local garden center that cost an arm and a leg but none of them have worked except the two boys above. Good luck.

My parents used pinwheels in the yard. When the wind would blow them, it caused vibrations in the ground and they move away. They used the heavy plastic ones with metal poles. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Have your local lawn service put down a grub treatment a couple of times a year. Get rid of the grubs, gets rid of the moles, that is what they are after.

Best thing that we have used is a Sweeney's Plunger Trap. Never see the critter in the end as we just pull up the trap and critter get buried in the ground after it get's spiked by the trap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast