Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Gift for Quilter

Question Gift for Quilter

I need a gift idea for my aunt who is a quilter. She owns everything under the sun for sewing and quilting. I'm racking my brain trying to think of something she might like. Probably in the $25 - 50 range.

I'll take any and all suggestions!! I really want a gift that I can present to her in lieu of a gift card.

Thanks so much,
    Michelle
    Michelle

Depending on how old she is - I would recommend flowers or food. Unless you know her favorite thimbles and size, or scissors, even a new pin cushion it is really hard to buy for someone's hobbies. Now that I am retired and have way too much stuff, I love a beautiful bouquet of flowers. And it is nice to be taken out for lunch or dinner. A friend of mine absolutely loves gladiolas, she is 85 and for the past 20 years she only gets them if someone brings them to her. My favorite flower is the peony - they don't grow here in San Diego, so a friend of mine always gives me a bouquet for my birthday. My grandmother loved chocolate covered ginger so I sent it to her every Christmas and for her birthday. It was what she wanted. And it was kind of funny, when it would first arrive she would offer anyone there a piece. The rest went into her freezer only for her. Her husband once told me she really looked forward to it and hated to share.

Blog Entries
    how about making her a nice gift of a pincushion or a needlecase. (come join the swap under swaps-september) and geive her a gift card for fabric. People always ask what i want, i tell them but they buy me a dumb gift instead.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I agree that it is hard, really hard, to buy something for a quilter, unless you know something specific she wants. I have more material than I will ever sew, more rulers and cutting boards and everything under the sun. I want my kids and anyone else who wants to give me a gift to come spend some time with me or go out to eat. I don't care for movies, but maybe she does. What are her other interests? Are you local to her? Would she love to have you come sew with her for a couple of days? Think of the memories you could make and the projects.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

A day out shopping for fabric (or whatever) with you would be wonderful!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Lunch and a trip to the fabric store sounds great. Or maybe an Ott Light. I love mine.

Take her on a shop hop in your area -- include lunch and possibly purchase an item that you see she is really considering buying for herself.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Yes, she lives only 20 miles away and we see her on a regular basis. She is going to housesit for us in a few weeks and I want to have a special gift for her.

Of course, I will leave with a fridge and pantry full of food/snacks and we are also giving her money for doing us such a huge favor. While she is here she can sew to her heart's delight in my sewing room. I told her I'm going to inventory my fabric before and after she leaves. haha!!

I am just trying to think of something that she would really, really like to receive. She will not reveal her wishes to anyone and the family has a hard time figuring out what to get her!

Thanks again! And please keep the suggestions coming!!
    Michelle

I just got a gift for my quilty friend - she has a lot of stuff. I ended up getting her a $50 Amazon gift card so she can pick out her own gift. Amazon has lots of fabric and quilting supplies.
    Lori

Take her out for shopping and lunch. You might end up buying her something too BUT I have learned TIME is more important than stuff!

My friend and I quilt together and it's her birthday. We took her out for a pedicure and I made her this for her sewing room
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I don't think there is anything better than a gift card from JoAnns, Hancock's or your local quilt shop, with a fat quarter thrown in - Or a small jelly roll or charm pack. I love those kinds of gifts.............if anyone catches the hint??????? Only kidding! But really, I have a friend and I did do just that. Worked great and lunch and a glass of wine capped off the whole day. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Does she have a "humbug" bag? I have several in different sizes and could not do without mine. One hangs on my Ott Lite and others travel with me. One year I gave everyone in my guild one for Christmas.

What about a charm bracelet made up of sewing charms?
    Nancy

Just keep going!

How about a few spools of her favorite quilting thread in neutral colors?

A quilter friend of mine once gave me a gift certificate to get a pedicure, for my birthday. Then several of us got together and had our toes done, then went to an antique store. So much fun.

Blog Entries
    Voucher for a neck and shoulder massage?
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    While I enjoy pretty fabrics and gift cards, they are kinda the things I would get myself. But one of the best gifts I got was from my mother, She made me a travel case for my sewing tools, at the time she made it I was going to an LQS to rent their Long Arm machine, so it was very welcomed, I was able to keep all the little things I need to carry with me.

My mother has told me many times she loves me making her bags, purses, pillows and the numerous quilts that I have made for her. She said that as a fellow sewer, she never thinks to make things for herself. Since she is travelling to your home, why not make her a travel sewing case with a few key items in it, like scissors, thread, needles, pins, and a couple pieces of chocolate

Does she enjoy reading or movies? A couple of books on CD or audiobooks if she has a Kindle or Nook or if you have a laptop in your sewing room or a couple of DVDs of movies or a season of a TV show she would enjoy might be welcomed for her to watch/listen to as she sews in your studio.
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus