Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gmary Fons leaving Love if Quilting

I love the show with both Mary, Mary Ann and Liz, whenever they do one together.

I'm glad someone else feels as I do concerning Mary. Mary makes lots of faces, seems uncomfortable on camera and constantly interrupts guests. I only watch F&P if there is something of real interest. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    That girl has irritated me from day one, so I can't say I'm sorry to see her go. What I have never been able to understand, is why Liz Porter has never done a "special" with Maryann Fons, The only time you see her is with Mary.
    I would have agreed when she first started but I guess she grows on you because I like her now. I haven't seen anything about her leaving the show, but according to her blog she did just move back to Chicago from DC so maybe she is making other changes in her life.

I wasn't fond of Mary when I saw the program years ago. But for a long time I haven't had any quilting shows available. (maybe because I get the cheapest cable package :/! ) Anyway, I would gladly watch it again if I had access and would hope she would grow on me as others have said.

I miss Liz Porter and yes she did at least one show with Mary. I like having Patrick Lose on the show. I am just a more advance quilter than Mary. I watch the show to learn something new. Sorry she is having to deal with health problems.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Mary had to grow on me too; if she is like me I also do not like being up in front of people - and yet like Mary I am too. Thankfully not on tv. I give her great credit for jumping in to save the show. And Liz has been on there several times with Mary when mom wasn't available. Am sure her mom will one day want to retire also. Hope she hangs in there. I used to get several shows but now only get F&P and Sewing with Nancy.

Mary had to grow on me, too, but now I really like her. I think I didn't care for her at first because she was hosting a show about quilting, and she didn't know how to quilt. I had an occasion about a year ago to appeal to her via email for some help with something or other, and she answered my question quickly and was absolutely delightful to converse with. I give her a lot of credit for hanging in there with the show. She has worked hard at learning to quilt and her expertise shows now. She seems more comfortable in front of the camera and has grown by leaps and bounds. I remember when my very favorite host, Alex Anderson, was new and not the polished host she grew to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    everyone will hate me for saying, but what does not having intestines have to do with likeing someone? If you don't like them, watch something else. Do I have to feel sorry for someone, Just saying.
    I was thinking the same thing, Lynnie. I don't usually watch shows just because I feel sorry for someone or they have a disability or disease, but that's just me.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I am afraid I have to totally agree with your comments. A friend and I have watched her and her mother from day one and she has interrupted her mother and corrected her. She just seems phony to me. Last Saturday there was Patrick Lose and a woman and I thoroughly enjoyed them and hope to see more co-hosts like that. I do know that Mary has had lots of health issues and is now divorced. Maybe that is part of the problem. A few times Liz was on the show with Mary and it would be nice if it would have been Liz and Maryann again if only for one show.
    Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    That girl has irritated me from day one, so I can't say I'm sorry to see her go. What I have never been able to understand, is why Liz Porter has never done a "special" with Maryann Fons, The only time you see her is with Mary.

I agree. I do not enjoy Mary. And, I don't believe any of us are being mean or nasty--we are just voicing our opinions and if there are those who enjoy her then there is nothing wrong with that either. We all have our likes and dislikes. For those that don't know Mary has been in a number of plays so I don't 'feel that she is uncomfortable being in front of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
    I'm glad someone else feels as I do concerning Mary. Mary makes lots of faces, seems uncomfortable on camera and constantly interrupts guests. I only watch F&P if there is something of real interest. Sad.
    Last edited by MarleneC; 01-29-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Did Liz and MaryAnn have a falling out? When Liz does the show it is always with Mary. I also miss that they don't give the fabric dimensions like they did years ago. Now if you want to make the pattern, you need the magazine. I have gotten more use to Mary, but I do prefer the original ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy119 View Post
    Did Liz and MaryAnn have a falling out? When Liz does the show it is always with Mary. I also miss that they don't give the fabric dimensions like they did years ago. Now if you want to make the pattern, you need the magazine. I have gotten more use to Mary, but I do prefer the original ladies.

I wonder about bout a possible falling out too, but who knows...

just watched a series 2700 episode featuring a QOV done by nancy Mahoney, and she was cohosting. I noticed that the cutting mat is now turned upside down ........can't count the inch marks to get an idea if what the size is.....
    I liked the two block combo she demoed, did a good job of explaining (nancy). So, afterwards I went to website to see the reference info in this project...found the episode, saw the quilt and blurb, but don't know the source...i.e., is design a Mahoney one or from one of the mags......tried to get deeper into the site...wanted me to "join"..no....couldn't even 'contact us' for info. I'll just have to watch again (saved) and sit wth graph paper or EQ and play.....

I remember reading someplace (don't remember where any more) that Liz had retired from the show and will only do guest appearances from time to time. Don't know if this is true or not, who knows. If they had a falling out, they certainly aren't going to tell us that is for sure.

Lynnie I agree with you. Shows change and one either likes them or not. I stopped watching them long ago simply because they are so commercial. Bye my stuff is what they push. I even stopped their magazine because it became more advertising that quilts that inspire. Just sayin'.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Blog Entries
    no falling out occured. retirement occured. Now Mary was extremely nervous and did just fine. I like the Mother and her side kick best of course, mainly because I was used to them and am not good with change. I do hope Mary's leaving wasn't anything said. I do wish her good luck!!

I believe Liz has moved to Texas to be close to her Children. I would watch the show if they showed it here but they haven't in a very long time. They only show old reruns of Sewing with Nancy and I watch that over and over. I miss Love of Quilting and still take the Magazine. I missed Liz on the show while they were still showing it but watched it anyway.

Blog Entries
    I love watching Mary Ann. If she was not on the show then I didn't watch it. I just find her personality refreshing, and makes the show a lot of fun along with the sewing.

She is a writer, poet, and has been in Theater in Chicago.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy watching Mary Ann and her mother. I think Mary Ann has become quite a quilter and I enjoy some of her tips while watching the show. Liz has been on several shows with Mary Ann. We get Fons & Porter Love of Quilting every Thurs and repeat on Sat but thats okay. If I miss one I usually catch up. There are not many quilt shows on Tv and as long as there is just one I am happy with that.

I agree with oh munner, I miss Liz, I don't watch the show because of Mary.

Blog Entries
    There was another lady that use to be on that I loved watching. I forget her name now, but she had one lady who would sometimes be on that showed hand embroidery stitches. This lady also at the end of her shows usually would show some pretty slip or baby christening gown that she had found in her travels. The items were those made in the earlier 1900's etc. I always looked forward to it.

Blog Entries
    You are thinking of Martha Pullen - can't think of the name of her show though.

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
    There was another lady that use to be on that I loved watching. I forget her name now, but she had one lady who would sometimes be on that showed hand embroidery stitches. This lady also at the end of her shows usually would show some pretty slip or baby christening gown that she had found in her travels. The items were those made in the earlier 1900's etc. I always looked forward to it.
    Nikki in MO

Quote Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
    I agree about less quilting shows. I learned so much from Alex Anderson's Simply Quilts when I first started quilting. I have also enjoyed Eleanor Burns and her show is no longer aired on RFD TV. The only one left, and it can be sporadic, is Fons and Porter so I hope it stays on the air. Always like to watch the shows as they are great ways to learn new techniques.
    I have to agree with you. No good quilt shows on tv any more. I learned how to piece quilts and then hand quilt them by watching Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson on HGTV. We learned new techniques and about new books on that show. Horrible shame they canceled it some years back. Can't even find reruns of it.

With PBS you need to put your money where your mouth is. Get your guilds behind requesting quilt shows. And encourage both guilds and members to donate.
    That said it is probably hard for PBS to compete with YouTube mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    With PBS you need to put your money where your mouth is. Get your guilds behind requesting quilt shows. And encourage both guilds and members to donate.
    That said it is probably hard for PBS to compete with YouTube mentally.
    I really don't think there are tv type shows being produced ......now that YouTube is available most things are self produced there....so really the pbs stations don't have much to choose from....and how about programs like carol duval...all those crafty things! And all the DIY various subject shows.....now there are things like junk hunters climbing around folks' barns, or heavily bearded men building something in the snow....all getting their 15 minutes of fame....and, of course, the cooking shows.... I do like antique roadshow.

Oh my goodness. I couldn't agree with you more. She is sooooo annoying! Her mother has gotten annoying too. I also saw the other daughter, Rachel I think. She is just as annoying! I wonder if the show will go on. That"s the only quilt show we get here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast