Going grey gracefully

Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 PM

I have decided to see what color my hair truly is and I am at that stage where my grey roots are about 6 inches long now. Looks awful!

My questions to all of you is:

1. Is there a way of getting through this growth period gracefully?
2. Is there a rinse to make my grey hair sparkle, rather than be dull? I hate the old and tired look. I want to have nice hair that looks and is, healthy, but I don't think I am going to have that gorgeous vibrant grey that is so pretty.

Help?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

My late husband had beautiful silver/gray hair. My hair turns white, so it is the bottle for my hair.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM

What color was your hair and how long is it? I am in the same process, but my natural hair is a dark strawberry blonde. It does blend fairly well as long as I keep it cut. Right now it is way too long, but I am waiting to get over this cold before I get it cut. :D
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM

I have salt and pepper grayed hair; you may never have a full gray on yours either. There are shampoos to make them shine but I just use regular Suave shampoo and it does shine. You will like it when it gets long enough to cut off the other color.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM

I unaware chose a permanent rinse for my hair years ago and had to let it grow out. I found a shampoo type that had a little color in it. It washed out with next shampoo if you didn't use that again. I would just look at a beauty supply store for advise.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM

i finaly let mine go to natural and it looks like a dark ash there is arinse called fancyful you can ger it at sally's hair supply walgreens use to cary it it is just a rinse from shampoo to shampoo
Old 01-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Corky
I have decided to see what color my hair truly is and I am at that stage where my grey roots are about 6 inches long now. Looks awful!

My questions to all of you is:

1. Is there a way of getting through this growth period gracefully?
2. Is there a rinse to make my grey hair sparkle, rather than be dull? I hate the old and tired look. I want to have nice hair that looks and is, healthy, but I don't think I am going to have that gorgeous vibrant grey that is so pretty.

Help?
1. Not really, unless you wear a hat! When I let my grey grow out, I got my hair cut short and frequently - so it wasn't too bad.

2. My hairdresser recommends a purple shampoo, specially formulated for grey hair. It helps keep it white, not yellow, and really brings out the shine.

Keep in mind that the grey you now have is your "natural" colour and, once you get used to it, you'll realize that it's really pretty gorgeous after all. And if you want to really funky get a coloured streak put in it like I did - royal blue goes beautifully with grey!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:35 PM

I was a medium brown and always dyed it when I started to get the grey. I remember I did the same thing to see what my roots looked like at age 60, I think. I was so tired of the dying and I was beginning to get thin spots and that is from years of dying.

I decided to keep what hair I had left even if it was grey, better than bald.

My six inch roots looked horrible but I perservered and let it grow out. I shampooed every second day and put conditioner and some shine product and just kept it high up in a bun.

When it finally gew out to cutting lenght, I was shocked at the color. I love it. My avatar is a recent pic. So be patient and let it grow all the way out and see what you have, there are all sorts of things you can do to make it the way you like.

The style I have now is one that I like very much but it takes some upkeep, so yesterday I had it cut shorter and it is easier to keep up.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM

I've been wearing a medium brown for years and the grey is a real different look, so much lighter. I usually wear my hair fairly short (I call it my Sue Sylvester style! - See pic), so the grey is about 1/3 to 1/2 of my total growth.

I just don't want to look old and worn out!!! (even if I sometimes feel that way! :-D

Originally Posted by Ditter43
What color was your hair and how long is it? I am in the same process, but my natural hair is a dark strawberry blonde. It does blend fairly well as long as I keep it cut. Right now it is way too long, but I am waiting to get over this cold before I get it cut. :D
Not me!! Sue Sylvester hair style!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152784[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152779.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Corky
I've been wearing a medium brown for years and the grey is a real different look, so much lighter. I usually wear my hair fairly short (I call it my Sue Sylvester style! - See pic), so the grey is about 1/3 to 1/2 of my total growth.

I just don't want to look old and worn out!!! (even if I sometimes feel that way! :-D

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Corky you are a beautiful woman. You won't look worn out lol....just be patient...