Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Going to Hawaii - YIPEE!!!!! >

Going to Hawaii - YIPEE!!!!!

Going to Hawaii - YIPEE!!!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 AM

Default Going to Hawaii - YIPEE!!!!!

So my husband and I are finally getting to go to Hawaii next spring. After 23 years of marriage I'm finally getting the honeymoon I've always wanted. We are spending 3 weeks there, a week on each island, Hawaii, Kauai, and Oahu. I need help finding shops on each island. I don't want the generic ones like Walmart or Joanns, but local shops where you can find unique fabrics. We are planning our itineraries so I want to fit in a shop or two on each island. Waiting for your replies and thank you.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Lived there for 20 years and I'd suggest Fabric Mart on Oahu (2 locations) for an absolutely huge array of Hawaiian fabrics. The store in Aiea is a little difficult to find (a warehouse area) but it is loaded with wonderful tropical florals. Another LQS is Calico Cat in the Kaimuki area. A very little place. Enjoy your trip; it is a tropical paradise!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 AM

Congrats on finally taking your honeymoon! Hawaii sounds like a dream vacation! I haven't taken my honeymoon either but it has only been 5 years. (Our honeymoon is supposed to either be in Venice or Virgin Islands.) I don't know of any quilt shops, but I am sure you will get some great suggestions. I'll watch this thread with interest. And look forward to pics in the spring!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
Lived there for 20 years and I'd suggest Fabric Mart on Oahu (2 locations) for an absolutely huge array of Hawaiian fabrics. The store in Aiea is a little difficult to find (a warehouse area) but it is loaded with wonderful tropical florals. Another LQS is Calico Cat in the Kaimuki area. A very little place. Enjoy your trip; it is a tropical paradise!
THANKS!!! I'll be sure to check them out.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Will I fit in your luggage???
Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Thats a long awaited honeymoon, don't forget to see some quiltshops when you see the sights
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Wow! Lucky you! Next year is our 40th. anniversary and we want to do something special. I want to go to Hawaii but he wants to go on a cruise. Wonder where we will end up. Have fun shopping!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM

I grew up in Hawaii and go back to visit regularly, the fabric stores that is... Fabric Mart actually has three locations on Oahu & one on Maui. I agree with the earlier comment; the Aiea store is a little hard to find and the last time I went there it was the least organized of the 3 Oahu stores. There is also one on Kalakaua Ave in Honolulu & one in Kaneohe just after you come over the mountains. Plan to spend lots of time there - the bolts are in huge stacks to the ceiling and it takes a while to work your way through it. In addition to 50/50 Hawaiian prints in rolls (around $4-5/yd) they also have tons of 100% cotton for quilting. (also a great price) This is where I used to get all my old Rose & Hubble / William Morris fabrics. Fabric Mart has their own parking lot - worth gold at the Honolulu store.

I also love Kaimuki Dry Goods - it's been there as long as I can rememeber and has a beautiful selection of Asian fabrics as well as other Hawaiian, quilting & formal apparel fabrics. It is not cheap but not out of line from what you pay in a quality quilting store. It is set back behind another building (a bank, I think...) off the main street - Waialae Ave though the address is technically on 10th Ave. Beautiful fabrics!

I have also gone downtown, near Chinatown to a couple of fabric places that remind me of the LA garment district only on a much smaller scale. They were much more about apparel fabric, messy and to me not worth the hassle of parking and walking around to find the small hole-in-the-wall shops. I don't bother with them anymore unless I'm looking for a Hawaiian apparel knit or formal fabrics for cheap - then I might check in a couple of those shops. At the time I used to occasionally go there I wasn't quilting so I never looked for those fabrics there but my memory is that's not what they carry.

There are also many small quilt shops to check out though I am only familiar with the ones on Maui so can't give specifics. They will probably have patterns that are new to you with Hawaiian symbols - turtles and breadfruit, etc as well as traditional appliqued Hawaiian quilting. Enjoy! And remember to bring an extra suitcase Though even that didn't save me from having to pay for overweight luggage due to all my fabric on the last trip... might be worth mailing some home to yourself too. Shannon
Old 11-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Jealous jealous, green with envy-we were thinking about going for a 25th wedding anniversary trip but ...HOPE YOU HAVE AND ALOHA TIME!!!!!-you may need to take an extra suitcase for the rest of us who are going to want you to bring us back some fabric!!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by beatys9 View Post
I grew up in Hawaii and go back to visit regularly, the fabric stores that is... Fabric Mart actually has three locations on Oahu & one on Maui. I agree with the earlier comment; the Aiea store is a little hard to find and the last time I went there it was the least organized of the 3 Oahu stores. There is also one on Kalakaua Ave in Honolulu & one in Kaneohe just after you come over the mountains. Plan to spend lots of time there - the bolts are in huge stacks to the ceiling and it takes a while to work your way through it. In addition to 50/50 Hawaiian prints in rolls (around $4-5/yd) they also have tons of 100% cotton for quilting. (also a great price) This is where I used to get all my old Rose & Hubble / William Morris fabrics. Fabric Mart has their own parking lot - worth gold at the Honolulu store.

I also love Kaimuki Dry Goods - it's been there as long as I can rememeber and has a beautiful selection of Asian fabrics as well as other Hawaiian, quilting & formal apparel fabrics. It is not cheap but not out of line from what you pay in a quality quilting store. It is set back behind another building (a bank, I think...) off the main street - Waialae Ave though the address is technically on 10th Ave. Beautiful fabrics!

I have also gone downtown, near Chinatown to a couple of fabric places that remind me of the LA garment district only on a much smaller scale. They were much more about apparel fabric, messy and to me not worth the hassle of parking and walking around to find the small hole-in-the-wall shops. I don't bother with them anymore unless I'm looking for a Hawaiian apparel knit or formal fabrics for cheap - then I might check in a couple of those shops. At the time I used to occasionally go there I wasn't quilting so I never looked for those fabrics there but my memory is that's not what they carry.

There are also many small quilt shops to check out though I am only familiar with the ones on Maui so can't give specifics. They will probably have patterns that are new to you with Hawaiian symbols - turtles and breadfruit, etc as well as traditional appliqued Hawaiian quilting. Enjoy! And remember to bring an extra suitcase Though even that didn't save me from having to pay for overweight luggage due to all my fabric on the last trip... might be worth mailing some home to yourself too. Shannon
Thanks for these suggestions. I will write them down and see where they are located in reference to where we are staying.