Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms. >

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

How did your children react when you took over their rooms after they left the nest and turned it into a sewing room?

My DS won't let our parents do anything to her room. she has been married for 4 yrs. and lives 4 hrs away. She is the baby of the family and spoiled(not by me). When I left home my Mom packed my room and did the same with my DB. Making sure we didn't come back to live just visit.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 AM

My kids said " Good for you Mom." When do I get MY quilt ? :lol: :lol:
Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Sounds like a nice trade to me.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:08 AM

My daughter was 18 when she said "Mom--you need to make my room your sewing room!" She was persistant. I reminded her that she'd be back for breaks from college and she said "Oh, yeah...but I'll sleep on the single guest bed!" I told her that was filled with quilts and besides my tiny sewing room downstairs is cozy. My son is getting married July 24th and once they're married--I feel fine is doing whatever we want to the room. But--there nothing we really need to do with them--except keep them available for when grandkids spend the night in years to come. :wink:
Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM

DH and son packed the car and left for a 4 hour drive to take DS to college around 8:30am. After 15 minutes of "mom tears", I was in his room and tearing it apart. By the time DH came home around midnight the room was MINE!! When son came home on week-ends and holidays he slept in the guest room (too small for a sewing room). Son asked once if I felt "empty nest syndrome" (he's my only child). I hugged him and said of course. I hope he believed me LOL.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 AM

When my daughter went to college I was sewing in the basment and by October it was cold. I am ashamed to say that we had an argument over the phone because she said she was too busy to come home for her brother's birthday, but went to her boyfriend's house the same weekend. I was upset and thought, if she is not going to be home much, why should I be in the basement if there is a huge empty room upstairs?

I moved all my sewing stuff to her room and most of her stuff to the basement. She wasn't very happy about it because when she came home for Christmas she had her bed in the shared room. She had the room to herself while I was at work. Later that year when she came home for the summer she then used the bed in the basement (I had set up a nice room for her down there) and it was nice and cool while it was hot everywhere else.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 AM

Nope, mine wasn't coming back. She was married when she left. Oops, yup, she came back! lol
Well, she didn't stay long, so the dining table didn't stay cluttered from my sewing for long.
But, now that she is pretty much out of the house for good, she just wants all my quilts that I make.
We have a fold out couch that is for company. Company that comes that can't handle a cat in the bed with them, well...Courtney will give up her bed.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

Well, I'm not quite there yet. My oldest is 18 and a freshman in college but still living at home. He's already been warned, many a-time: when you move out make sure it's for real because the door won't close behind you before I'm in there making it my own nest. No wonder he hasn't left yet ;)
Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 AM

I made sure we had the extra room when we bought the house - before we had the kids. I told my husband only two kids because I'm not giving up the sewing room! :thumbup:
Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 AM

Our daughter had been gone off to college and on to law school for six years before the thought even occurred to me! I guess I had always assumed that somehow she'd be back.

She was not happy about it, and definitely felt infringed upon! She had items in there that she didn't want to be bothered to go through: stuffed animals, her Breyer horse collection, clothes from high school, posters, etc! We told her, and we meant it, that anytime she wanted or needed to move back home that I would be happy to give her back "her" room but until then we were not keeping it as a shrine to her childhood since I needed space. The idea of ever moving back home seemed to horrify her and at that point she seemed more receptive. There was definitely an adjustment period for her, and feelings of loss. We continued to offer words of support, and lots of hints that we would LOVE to have her at home again...that pretty much got her over it! :-D

As for having the sewing room -- it was the best idea ever! Putting some thought into it and having DH's help in putting it together was so much fun. We painted, tore out the carpet, added electrical circuits and lighting. It became my little piece of heaven and it makes me so happy just being in there.