Gotta lose weight (again)

Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 AM

I just got back from my doctor and of course I'm still too heavy.
I have done ALL different diets through the years (I know what they say....diets don't work) and sometimes I lose and sometimes I don't. (I'm over 60 so that doesn't help, my metabolism died long ago).
Anyway I stopped by to see a friend on the way home from the doctor and she said her SIL started eating ONLY unprocessed foods and easily lost weight and felt better too.
So I'm going to try it. I have to grocery shop this afternoon anyway.
Has anyone else tried this?
Old 04-15-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I just got back from my doctor and of course I'm still too heavy.
I have done ALL different diets through the years (I know what they say....diets don't work) and sometimes I lose and sometimes I don't. (I'm over 60 so that doesn't help, my metabolism died long ago).
Anyway I stopped by to see a friend on the way home from the doctor and she said her SIL started eating ONLY unprocessed foods and easily lost weight and felt better too.
So I'm going to try it. I have to grocery shop this afternoon anyway.
Has anyone else tried this?
I'm over 65, still overweight, but started using all non-processed foods about 9 months ago and lost 25 lbs. I changed to whole wheat bread, I bake my own, all fresh fruits and veggies and NO boxed or processed foods.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:01 AM

It definitely works! You will also feel better and have more energy. :)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 AM

That's pretty much all we eat. What meat we use is purchased from an organic cattleman (no hormones injected), same with our milk. Fresh veggies. Very little of anything made w/flour, sugar, or rice and no products with High Fructose Corn Syrup. We don't use canned foods and very few frozen. It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle. We eat like this 90% of the time..would love it to be 95%. We eat out with friends or just us, we get what we want. A week without wine is a whiny one.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Location: Kalamazoo Michigan but living in Roanoke Indiana till I can retire

I watch my carbs. I have fought a weight problem all my life it seems. I also have tried many diets and never have kept if off very long. Now I have lost 60 plus and have kept it off for over 2 years and I am 52. Marilyn
Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the responses. That's encouraging. I still eat like I did when I was growing up. BAD stuff. No wonder my figure looks like a bag of doorknobs.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 AM

I have not completely stopped eating processed foods yet but cut way back. I've come to enjoy eating salads, greens & fresh fruits. Smoothies are good too and good for you! I have at least 1 every day. You can add healthy things like wheat germ, etc. for extra health benefits.

One thing that helps me is to think of food differently. I look at food as helping me to be healthy. If you google veggies individually and read about all the great things they do for your body they definitely have a lot more appeal!! I don’t deprive myself of treats or I wouldn’t be able to stay on track. I just don’t eat them every day.

Exercise helps too. Walking is my favorite but I need to do more of it. If you have a dog or friend to walk with it makes it fun. Drinking water is said to help us feel full. I don’t know about that but it is healthy. I add fresh lemon juice or sometimes fresh lime for flavor. It’s good for you too.

I’ve been gradually losing weight and have lost 22 lbs. since October.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
That's pretty much all we eat. What meat we use is purchased from an organic cattleman (no hormones injected), same with our milk. Fresh veggies. Very little of anything made w/flour, sugar, or rice and no products with High Fructose Corn Syrup. We don't use canned foods and very few frozen. It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle. We eat like this 90% of the time..would love it to be 95%. We eat out with friends or just us, we get what we want. A week without wine is a whiny one.
This is what we do. we buy a half of beef from a friend who raises hormone free cattle.We use stevia to sweeten our green tea,eat lots of vegetables and fruit ,plus I am a really active person. Fell better now than when I was in my forties.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

DH and I are foodies. DH became one kicking and screaming but I didn't give in. No processed foods goes in my shopping cart. We are both in our 50's. Before we switched to all whole foods and dairy we were like slugs. Just make it through the day type people. We stated exercising regularly after we felt better eating good foods. I had a high cholesterol problem and DH was borderline diabetic. Not now. Food can heal you or can kill you.

I want to cry when I see overweight kids.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM
BMP

Thats how we cook and eat, my husband has been able to stop his BP meds too. We have alot of diabetes in the family which makes me even more aware of what we eat. We do have things once in awhile on special occasions and holidays.
Its easy once you get used to it. I also follow weight watchers.
Portion control is also key...