Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: grandparents

grandparents

what did you call your grandparents, and what do your grandchildren call you?
    I had grandma, and a memere and pepere (french slang).
    My grandkids call us grandma and grandpa.

Blog Entries
    I called my maternal grandparents Grandma and Grandpa.
    I called my paternal grandparents Nanny and Papa.
    DH and I are called Grandma and Didi. Didi is short for Grandpa in Ukrainian. However, our DD gave us the choice of what we wanted to be called. From what I hear the grandchildren may put their own spin on our names...so we'll have to wait and see what we end up being called. DGS is only 6 months old.
    Go forth and sew!

Both my granddads died before I was ever thought about, so I didn't call them anything. I called both grandmothers "Grandma". My grandchildren call us Mammaw and Pappaw.

Blog Entries
    *** I had a Granny & a Grandma.
    *** I am GRAND.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I called my grandma "grandma". My grandkids call me Mimi
    Dyan

We are grandpa /gramps, grandma/gram by the grands. The greats call us G.Pa, G.G./ G.Ma. It all depends on the kid.
    Just love being called.❤
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

We had no grandfathers. We called our father's mother Mama Faye and out mother's was Grandma Lewis. My great grandmother was Sweet Mama. I have no grandchildren, but my sister and DH are Mimmy(her name is Kimmy) and Poppy. My brother and his wife are Papa and Button. One of her grandkids started calling her Button when she was learning to talk and it stuck.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Only one Grandma, that is what we called her a few times we saw her.

My Grands call us Gramma & Grampa. Great Grands call us GGma and GGpa.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

We called them Gramma and Grampa. That's what the grands call us. When our kids were younger, their great-grandmother was still alive, and they called her Gramma also.

I called both grandmothers Grandma. I'm gramajo. I didn't want to be Grandma Scott--that was my mother-in-law.
    My DGD called me JOJO when she first started talking. I kind of liked that as it was unique.

Both of my grandfathers were dead by the time I was born. Paternal GM was "Grandmother Lillian", and maternal GM was "Nana" (Nah-nah). My mother also wanted to be called "Nana" by our kids, and their other GM was called Nana too, but pronounced Naan-a.

I thought I wanted future GKids to call me "BonBon" (my name is Bonnie), but maybe Grandma is simpler. Hubby will probably be a "paw paw".
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Maternal was Nana and Poppy, Paternal was Grandma and Grandpa. We are MeMe and Pop Pop....

Funny to see this post. Our grandson was born on March 10th. We are supposed to be deciding what we want to be called. I think for now it is Grammy and Poppa. I told my son and DIL I preferred not to be called Grandmother. Sounded too stiff and formal for my personality. My DIL's niece thinks I'm her grandma and she calls me DeeDee. My name is Debbie. It should be interesting to see what we actually get called months from now. I had grandmas and grandpas and great grandparents when I was little. I called them Grandma Frieda, Grandma Ruby, Grandpa Jerald, Grandpa Rich, Mamaw and the last one Papaw and Hester( he had been married before and this is what my mom's family called her). I'm sure our little one will come out with his own special name for us.

raised by my maternal grandmother i just called her gramma ****, my maternal grandfather, whom i never met & i thought had passed in oilfield explosionbut he continued to live i found out later via family history started by great aunts. both he & my maternal stepgrandfather were wild cat oilmen. my paternal grandfather we called pampa ..he was prussian immigrant. my paternal grandmother we just called gramma ******** ..she was portuguese immigrant (daughter of a portuguese pirate/white slaver/illegal rum runner) only had one great grandparent, my portuguese grgrandmother ...we called her"little gramma" ..she was 4' somethin'. i am a true blue American of mixed stock and i am now called gramma ham by my grands, my husband is called grampa ****. my name chosen by oldest grand ..hubbys' name chosen by ex dil ...so glad my oldest grand at the age of five, stomped her foot and said "i've called her gramma ham since i was very young and i wil always call her gramma ham!!"
    ...what a fun thread! thank you for starting it
    Last edited by roguequilter; 03-20-2017 at 07:35 PM.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraSTX View Post
    what did you call your grandparents, and what do your grandchildren call you?
    I had grandma, and a memere and pepere (french slang).
    My grandkids call us grandma and grandpa.
    I had my Grandma, grandpa died. My grand kids call me Grandma. Except my two inherited grandsons call me Grandma Jackie.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Maternal grandma was Gramma, and paternals were Grandma & Grandpa.
    Our grandkids call us Grammy & Papa.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I only had one grandmother and we called her Mammaw for years, then we switched to Granny. DH had Granny and Paw Paw. Our children call his parents Nanny and Paw Paw, and my dad is Grandpa, (my mom passed away before I had children). Have no grand children yet but DH and I have talked about what we would like to be called and he likes Granddaddy and I Grandma or Mammaw...I'm sure it will just end up being what ever that first grand comes up with.

I had two "Grandpas" one "Grandma". My husband is now "PoppO" and I am "DoBo" I am full-time caregiver to 2 girls and when asked what I wanted to be called prior to the first being born, it popped out "they can call me anything they want!" Guess I was waiting for/wanting grandchildren more than I realized.

My son calls my Dutch parents Oma and Opa and his dad's parents Grandma and Grandpa. Growing up, I called all of my parents' older friends Oma or Opa with their first name (e.g., Opa Fred).

Blog Entries
    Never knew my Dads parents. On my step-mothers side, it was Gram and Pa. And my other Grandmother was Grammy Foo.

Blog Entries
    Most of my grandkids, great grandkids call me Nanny Judy, but when my only daughter got pregnant she wanted her kids to call me GiGi, now her kids, my youngest son's kids, and even my 2nd to oldest son, (who has a grown son that calls me Nanny),my son now has two small kids and he has them both calling me GiGi, so that's great.
    Judy

I always said, whatever they want to call me. I really didn't care. The First Born Grand Son, yes he gets caps! Started calling me DeDe??? Now where he got that I have no idea. But our neighbor Diane wanted him to call her DeDe also but no way. Apparently I am the one and only LOL. Now all the grandkids call me DeDe. Yea, my name is Jane!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I had grandma's and grandpa's. Our grandkids call us Nana and Papa. They have lots of grandparents and I wanted them to know immediately who was talking to them or if someone referenced us they knew right away who we were...no confusion. I LOVE being a NANA!!!!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

We are MeMe and PaPa.

My grandkids and step-grandkids have so many grandparents, most of whom see them regularly, so its a confusing mess. I am called Grandma "Brown" by most of the kids, but my DH's ex-wife from 30 years ago decided to take his last name back, even though she had been married and divorced since. So she, being the grandkids "blood" grandma, took the name Grandma "Brown". So I have to be called something else that doesn't flow well. Irritated? Not much.
    Funny, with so many blended families and non-traditional arrangements. We can get in the sad game of trying to "Out-Grandma" each other if we have a competitive streak, can't we?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast