Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess I'm getting old!

Guess I'm getting old!

There's no way of stopping it, but several things have happened in the last few days.

First, after shopping I got up to the register to pay for my purchases and was told that the lady ahead of me gave me her military discount. I did find her in the parking lot and thanked her.

Then yesterday I was in Walmart buying a container of 40 bottles of water. I heard a lady say, "let me help you with that." I was very appreciative because those 40 bottles were quite heavy.

I do appreciate these random acts of kindness but I hate getting old and looking it!

Have you had any random acts of kindness lately .... or not lately?

Blog Entries
    I appreciate the discount but when younger people say “I gave you the senior price” just about makes me come unglued! Yes I’m older, but it’s one of those..I can say it but you can’t situations!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I appreciate the discount but when younger people say “I gave you the senior price” just about makes me come unglued! Yes I’m older, but it’s one of those..I can say it but you can’t situations!
    Which is why many places have one *ask* for a senior discount - instead of just giving a "mature-looking" person the discount.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy the extra help and the senior discount--I try to reciprocate when possible.

There aren't a lot of perks with getting old. I'm thankful for the little we get.

DJ
    I remember when I asked my ski instructor about getting new skis and he told me what skis his mother liked! LOL

Power Poster
    ​I don’t mind getting old because some are denied the privilege!

Military discounts are not transferable! You either served or you didn't. (Or your husband/wife did.) "The next person in line" does not deserve the military discount of a service person.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

DH & I were in line at Burger King about 2 months ago & drove up to pay. My DH handed the attendant our money & he told DH that the man in the truck ahead of us paid for our meal. That's the first time that type of random act of kindness has happened to us. It felt so good.
    P.S. Our meal was just under $8.

In the last 3 years I’ve let my hair go gray and I really think all ages act kinder toward me now.

Just in general- I like to let other people go when I'm driving and have the occasion to do so. It makes me feel good.
    Today someone did the same for me and gave me a smile and a wave. It seems that people can be aggressive behind the wheel.
    Little courtesies really go a long way.

Blog Entries
    I have stuff like this happen all the time, lol. I forget how old I am!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I remember when I asked my ski instructor about getting new skis and he told me what skis his mother liked! LOL
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

yes, we had a moment in a coffee shop someone paid for our meals. At first we were stunned and couldn't believe it. but it was true. and in return, we have paid it forward.

Happened to me just last week at Walmart. I picked up a 24 pack of Diet Coke and the bottom fell out, scattering cans across the floor. A younger woman saw it happen and helped me pick up the escapees. She then asked if I wanted the soda and picked up a (different) 24 pack and put it in my cart. I thanked her and she went on her way.

The humorous part is that I fiddled at another display til she was out of sight before I put a 24 pack of Coke in the cart for my DH.

I will be 70 in the spring and know that, with my jowls and lines, I probably look at least my age if not older, but I am still coming to terms with being a "senior." I also have lost more than 50 pounds on Weight Watchers, so, at about 130 pounds, I probably look frail. Gotta laugh or I would cry.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

I hate getting older looking but there is not much I can do about it and I am not fussy about the alternative. I do appreciate the discounts.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

My grandmother used to say everyone gets old, if they live long enough. I thought it was a sort of silly thing to say when I was young. Now, not so silly, maybe even profound.

Blog Entries
    A couple of months a lady in the drive-thru at Arby's paid for my meal. God bless her.

In the last 2 weeks I've had several random acts come my way! Two weeks ago I had the misfortune of having the middle finger of my right hand in the wrong spot while holding/steadying a ladder my grandson was on. Long story short, almost lost the tip down to the first knuckle. Huge bandage, wrapped around entire finger to stabilize it. Everyone has been really helpful. A guy pumped my gas for me. Another bagged my groceries, and walked to my car to help load them. I've been amazed at the generosity I've seen. I'm now down to a much smaller, less visible bandage, but I'm also a lot more aware of people around me who just might appreciate a little help!

Or you can think of it as "People are just getting nicer in general. It has nothing to do with how old I look."

Blog Entries
    Me too, but I've earned every one of those face lines, but I'll be darned if I'm going to let my grey hair show

Blog Entries
    I've had my meal at a Chinese restaurant paid for twice. I was sitting in the same spot. I call it my lucky chair now. One was a woman and the other a couple from North Carolina. This was during the evacuation of North Carolina and I thought I should be paying for that couple. I sure hope I don't look that old, but I think I am starting to look my age.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I live in Florida and we have a department store called Bealls (pronounced Bells). They don't have a "senior discount". Instead they have a "50 and Fabulous" discount. It just sounds so much better to tell the cashier that you're fabulous.

true, and I will take a discount any day! Remember, when we were teens//THIRTY looked old! The kids (profiling) really have no idea what "senior" looks like. About ten years ahead of me seems "old" at times! LOL! or we all know people who ACT old at any age..sheesh....I have learned to appreciate being called "ma'am". Own it!
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I think the military person deserves to do with his or hers military discount as they wish. I have 2 vet kids and they bless me a lot.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Military discounts are not transferable! You either served or you didn't. (Or your husband/wife did.) "The next person in line" does not deserve the military discount of a service person.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
    I think the military person deserves to do with his or hers military discount as they wish. I have 2 vet kids and they bless me a lot.
    Lynda
    if you work at a business that offers an employee discount. ... it is NOT transferable (could be grounds for job termination) . but since you benefit from their discount...whatever. Giving a STRANGER the military discount..uh no. not appropriate ever.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast