Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happy camping

We'll, I had ask the board for travel advise a few times about our trip "up north". We left the west Texas area a week ago today. We are in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania tonite. We have been to Graceland, took a riverboat tour on the Mississippi, took a sightseeing tour in Nashville which included stops at the Rhyman theatre & Country music hall of fame. Went to the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Saw some beautiful horse farms in Kentucky. Took a wrong turn (navigator error...LOL..that's me) in W. Virginia but took us on a most picturesque route of narrow winding roads along a beautiful river...so it wasn't so bad. Spent the nite in a nice "primitive park" in W.V. with no cell service, no wifi, no cable, no local station...ahhhh I was in techno withdraw....haha. Plan on staying here a couple nights so we can do some day trips without pulling the 5th wheel. Plan on Lancaster & Intercourse, Pa. tomorrow and maybe Hershey...my daughter wants me to bring her chocolate....I don't like it, but hubby does. Well it has been a wonderful trip so far and maybe I can post a few pics soon. We will probably head to Niagra Falls from here. Will update later.

Have fun

Blog Entries
    Absolutely LOVED Hershey, Intercourse, and Bird in Hand...and that was 30 years ago!

Sounds like a fun adventure!

I think you are having a wonderful time. keep it up.
    I like the Corvette assembly plant, they would not let me bring one home.

So glad that you are having a great time.

I would like to do a trip like that someday....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    So glad that you are having a great time.

I would like to do a trip like that someday....
    Jim, you really should do it. I am normally a very rigid planner & scheduler....but not this time! We drive as far as we want, then stop for as long as we want. It has been wonderful and the hubby says we may be gone a month. Having a blast and wishing you all have the chance to do the same someday.

Definitely go to Niagara Falls. IF possible go and view it at night with the colored lights on it from the Canadian side.

Kat

Blog Entries
    Yoo hoo! Didn't see any mention of quilt shops! Sometimes those "wrong turns" are the best. The little roads can lead to some neat places.
    On your way to Niagara Falls, if you are coming up from WV and taking 79 to 90, you might want to get on Route 5 at the NY state line and enjoy the views of Lake Erie. It is also grape picking time, and the smell of the grapes is wonderful!

Blog Entries
    Oh, poop. Just looked at your post again, and see that you are coming up from Harrisburg area. You'll probably be going up a different way. If you can hit Watkins Glen, NY, it is beautiful! The whole Finger Lakes area is really pretty.

Oh you need to go home, you are having way too much fun!!

We are still having fun, didn't make much progress yesterday because we got sidetracked at a huge Cabelas...but we enjoyed that too. We made it to just outside Niagra Falls, so that is the plan for tomorrow...hope it is warmer ...we got rained on all day today. We did have a great day before yesterday in Bird In Hand & Intercourse, Penn....I went to four quilt shops and of course bought something in all of them. We are finding that the wifi in most of the rv parks is not very good, so I can't upload pictures. I am posting from my iPad2 using cellular signal. I will update you all again soon.

Wow what a wonderful trip. It is so generous of you to share. As I was reading the posts, did a memory trip of many of the areas you have been thru. I have to agree with the suggestion of looping around Lake Erie on your way back to Texas if you can. The smell of grapes is simply beyond words. Hope you have wonderful safe and sunny travels ahead.

We are headed up to New England when we leave here. Probably spend a week or so in that area...and will return to Texas via trip down the east coast and ????? from there???

Spent all day yesterday in the camper wrapped in blankets watching movies! It was cold &rainy. Today was great, went to Niagra Falls and really enjoyed that. Heading north east tomorrow!

Posting from my iPad2 via cell connection. I upload all my pics onto the laptop and there is no wifi here, soooo no pics for now. Stay tuned for our next adventure on this trip!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time! So glad for you. When you were in Harrisburg, you were only about 1 hour and 45 minutes from me. Can't believe you managed to control yourself and only hit 4 quilt shops in the Lancaster area. You are awesome. Niagra Falls is very beautiful, glad you were able to make it. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

I only hit four quilt shops inPennsylvania because I plan to hit some more during our trip...and bless his heart, hubby can only sit outside a quilt shop so many times a day...LOL!!! We are in Clayton new york tonite and we go to the antique boat museum tomorrow and a boat tour, then it will be my turn for quilt shops again..hahaha.

I only hit four quilt shops inPennsylvania because I plan to hit some more during our trip...and bless his heart, hubby can only sit outside a quilt shop so many times a day...LOL!!! We are in Clayton new york tonite and we go to the antique boat museum tomorrow and a boat tour, then it will be my turn for quilt shops again..hahaha.

Ahhh, soooo, there was an incentive to your wonderful restraint! lol ;)

Sounds like you are see a lot of really interesting things. So nice that you can do that.

Once DH and I traveled from Los Angeles back to PA and we hit 13 quilt shops in 9 states in 10 days. Met so many nice people.

Keep us updated on your marvelous adventure!

Finally went to Niagra Falls..it was awesome. Traveled the next day to Clayton N.Y. Today we went on a boat tour of the 1000 Islands area by Alexander Bay, N.Y. Wonderful tour and got to go tour a castle too. Finished the day with a visit to the Antique Boat Museum in Alexander N.Y. Fantastic day all around, the weather was cool but not too bad, no rain, BUT the forecast is for very cold tonight, then warming back up...thank goodness. Heading to Vermont tomorrow. Today makes two weeks we have been traveling and enjoying every bit of it.

Saw three covered bridges in New Hampshire today. We drove through some awesome scenery, the foliage is not at peak yet, but still beautiful. There are spots where it is brilliant, but very spotty so far. Saw some beautiful rivers too.

Blog Entries
    Did you go to the museum in Bennington VT? It is my understanding that the original Jane Stickle quilt is on display during Sept & Oct.

No didn't make it to Bennington yet, but it is still on my list. I am going to Keepsake Quilting tomorrow..."excited"! Then we are going to drive up into Maine for some "Leaf peeping". we are in an rv park about 8 or so mles from the beach at Hampton, N.H. Today it was very warm and we walked on the beach then had lobster dinners across the street from the beach....fun day!

We have spent the last few days sightseeing some fall foliage around N.H. Not a lot is at peak in the areas that we have been in, but there have been a few isolated areas that are pretty brilliantly colored. We have seen lots of beautiful lakes, creeks, rivers & covered bridges. We also walked on the beach at Hampton, N.H. yesterday and the weather was perfect for dipping my toes in the Atlantic for the first time ever. Today I got to visit Keepsake Quilting and of course I spent a couple of hours there and a few $$$$$ too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast