Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has Anyone Been as Lamebrained as Me? >

Has Anyone Been as Lamebrained as Me?

Has Anyone Been as Lamebrained as Me?

Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Default Has Anyone Been as Lamebrained as Me?

Hi friends,
I'm on an adventure of sorts- learning to FMQ. Okay, in the summer I pieced a Christmas quilt and started quilting it on my Bernina, got frustrated and put it away. I then bought a Juki 2010TLQ because of the larger throat. I love it but.......... my previous work was awful. I forgot that part and was happily quilting along when I ran into all kinds of creases. I was horrified and knew I couldn't live with it.
So......... I unstitched a top that was 3/4 quilted. I won't even tell you how long it took and how sore my fingers are right now! But it's done, done, done.

I recall that I sandwiched it on carpet- big mistake. I used Fusiboo and thought it was all ready to quilt.
Don't ask me why I used the carpet. I have no idea. I have a large table I could have used.

Has anyone "unquilted" a top or am I the only doofus here? Any other major blunders you'd like to share? I won't laugh because I have too many of my own!

I'm going to learn FMQ if it kills me And if not, I'll keep hand quilting.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

all i can do on a Long Arm machineis loops and swirls. it's too hard for me. i just paid someone to quilt my 2" 60 degree stars. it came out beautifully. but i'll stick with hand. i can't do machine.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Many people. If you Google "how to skin a quilt" you may find some methods that make it easier. Jamie Wallen, at a seminar I attended, explained to us how he does it on his longarm when something goes badly wrong. So know that even professional quilters have to do it from time to time.......
Old 12-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Administrator

you were not a doofus for having made the mistakes in the first place. that's all part of the learning and practice processes.

you'd have been a doofus if you had settled for the icky results instead of undoing and trying again.

you are not, not, not a doofus for having undone the quilting you were unhappy with.

and it's important to note that you have grown enough as a quilter to recognize the fact that things were not as they should be. that's a pretty big deal and something to be proud of, too.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
you were not a doofus for having made the mistakes in the first place. that's all part of the learning and practice processes.

you'd have been a doofus if you had settled for the icky results instead of undoing and trying again.

you are not, not, not a doofus for having undone the quilting you were unhappy with.

and it's important to note that you have grown enough as a quilter to recognize the fact that things were not as they should be. that's a pretty big deal and something to be proud of, too.
Here, Here. Well put!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 AM

Yes, more than once. I have even “reverse quilted” a quilt that was already bound.

Rob
Old 12-06-2017, 04:04 AM

I just finished taking out some quilting that was about half a pass and 10 inches tall. I had started it too far down the batting. She wanted felt as batting and after I got it started I thought I could run past the end. It's all out now, must start again.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:09 AM

I feel your pain. One of the reasons I've not even attempted machine quilting in any form is the knowledge that I'll probably have to 'unquilt' more than my share. I do keep toying with the idea though as I have a number of tops that just need to get done! Good for you on the progress!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:15 AM

I quilted a large lap quilt on my new long arm. After it was finished I saw that the tension on the bobbin was off and it looked horrible. I sat in the evenings and took it all out and then quilted it again on the long arm. It turned out beautiful the second time. You aren't a doofus, just a normal quilter.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:30 AM

I joined the "doofus" club over the week-end. Half way done, just plain grid quilting, thought all was ok, checked the back and some how I had got a fold in the backing quilted in not one but 3 places"(. The quilt is now on the shelf waiting for a seam riper session. So, no, you are not alone.