Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have You Ever Cut Up a Chicken Fryer? >

Have You Ever Cut Up a Chicken Fryer?

Have You Ever Cut Up a Chicken Fryer?

Old 09-26-2013, 05:37 AM

Default Have You Ever Cut Up a Chicken Fryer?

I bought some fried chicken pieces for the first time in decades last night. I wonder if cutting up a chicken fryer is a lost art? The joints were cut with a knife instead of being pulled apart, and the back meat was kept on the thigh pieces.

In this day of packaged chicken breasts, thighs, and legs... I wonder if younger cooks have ever cut up a chicken fryer?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:40 AM

Why? Not me! I pay for convenience. I dont like greasy fingers from raw meat.

Sandy
Old 09-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

The grocery where I buy my meats I can get a fryer cut for me in the meat department, no extra charge. If the fryer is on sale I have the butcher cut it for me and package it for freezing. I don't want the backs in the package. I have cut many a whole chicken using scissors instead of a knife, much safer and less messy. I use scissors more then a knife when cooking.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I have cut up chickens and rabbits. Sorry everyone! Not the cuddly pet ones but wild game ones. You do need to know what you are doing to not hack up the meat or shatter the bones. There are great cooking shows on TV and internet so I think younger cooks would learn from them if interested.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:07 AM

Haven't cut up a chicken in decades! I like white meat, DH likes dark. I usually grill chicen as opposed to breading/frying. So if I'm not grilling breast meat, I'm usually roasting a whole chicken. Just what works in our house.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I have not cut up a chicken in a long time.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

We do all the time because the whole chicken is cheaper plus we eat everything gizzards, liver, neck and heart.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The grocery where I buy my meats I can get a fryer cut for me in the meat department, no extra charge. If the fryer is on sale I have the butcher cut it for me and package it for freezing. I don't want the backs in the package. I have cut many a whole chicken using scissors instead of a knife, much safer and less messy. I use scissors more then a knife when cooking.
Agreed on the scissors - I have a pair of Joyce chen's, rather small and very pointed but with big handles, which are great for chicken parts and for snipping fresh veggies and herbs. No better was to start shelling a lima! And I have a big heavy pair of shears for cutting whole chicken, to get the backbone out.
Does anybody bone a chicken?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 AM

I always cut my own. I also buy ten-pound bags of leg quarters and cut them up. I cook the legs and thighs (usually in two different ways for variety) and boil the back portions for broth. Though I prefer white meat, the price of leg quarters (I've paid as little as $0.29 per pound) makes them an amazing value.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I always cut my own. I also buy ten-pound bags of leg quarters and cut them up. I cook the legs and thighs (usually in two different ways for variety) and boil the back portions for broth. Though I prefer white meat, the price of leg quarters (I've paid as little as $0.29 per pound) makes them an amazing value.
i used to get this same deal... i sure miss Doris Market in south florida [sigh]