Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Have you felt like this.

Blog Entries

Have you felt like this.

I am still reading and looking at quilts but I seemto have lost interest in sewing on my machines. I am hand sewing instead and am enjoying that but not on my machines.
    Why has none else had his before.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I take a breather every now and then. I seem to need it to clear my head. Glad to hear you're still enjoying your hand sewing.

Blog Entries
    I need to take a breather too. Usually after Christmas.

Sounds pretty normal, to me. When I don't feel like sewing, I usually start crocheting again.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I feel that way sometimes, too. When I made my quilt Eldon, I pieced the Log cabin blocks on my machine, but the rest I did entirely by hand. It was very relaxing.

Power Poster
    when i dont quilt i crochet or do hats on the looms sometimes its just good to do other things!!!!
    QUILTNMO

I don't lose interest just no time, sometimes no energy
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I love hand work too, and slowly doing some quilting but now I am thinking of doing crocheting again. Haven't done any since discovering quilting but handwork is calling my name too
    Jo

The only hand sewing I ever want to do is sewing the binding to the back.
    I hope I never get tired of sewing on my machines. I am always eager to finish a quilt so I can start another. There are so much fabric I want to use. I want to make so many quilts.
    I know I won't live forever and now is the time to make them. I work all day, sew in the evenings and weekends.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I design hat stands with coordinating hats. Great for centerpieces. The biggest project I did was for a cousin's wedding. The hat was actually a replica of her veil with flowers at the base of the hat stand and small replicas of the headpieces of the bridesmaids. The groom wore a top hat. His hat stand of course were the colors of his tuxedo with an ascot at the base. had mini cumberbunds at the base of his hat stand in color of the dresses. I've done baby showers also. Once had a very large order for Halloween! The witches hats were really fun. I also get the hand embroidery out.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I am still reading and looking at quilts but I seemto have lost interest in sewing on my machines. I am hand sewing instead and am enjoying that but not on my machines.
    I am in that funk right now We moved over the summer from Maryland to Arizona and I was busy for two months sorting, pre-packing and then setting up our new home; getting ourselves settled, kids registered for school etc. The past 3 weeks things have slowed down and pretty much gotten back to normal for me. My sewing room is set up and ready to go! I have even taken a paper piecing class here at the local quilting shop two weeks ago to get me back into the mood. Nothing has helped. I am just not feeling it...I am wondering if I should just force myself to sit at a machine and finish some small things (I have several table runners cut out, ready to go) or just wait until the mood strikes me

Blog Entries
    Yep, sounds normal to me too When I fall into a sewing slump I pick up the books on my "waiting to read" pile. Something will appear on QB or in a magazine that will inspire you to get back to sewing. In the meantime enjoy what you are doing!!
    Helen T.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    You'll get back to it after a break. Oh, how I wish I could get interested in pulling out the quilt sandwich I have ready to hand stitch. I'm sorry I used the basting gun with all those little plastic tabs. Those don't work well on the machine for me. I had planned on handquilting this one so I could sit with DH while he watched football. That time is already here again. I'll have to work on my courage and get it started again.
    One step at a time, always forward.

All I have been doing for the last couple of months is reading books. Just cant get in a quilting mood.
    All I need is a pattern that catches my eye and I will be off and running again.

I always like to have some handwork going, still like doing machine work too.

Blog Entries
    I go with my feelings. If I don't want to sew I don't. I may want to bake, read, shop, or just sit and watch mindless tv. If I get where I don't have interest in doing much of anything then I know it's time to get over it. My way is to do volunteer work until I get over my doldrums.
    Got fabric?

I have been knitting all summer just didn't seem to be able to get at the machine to finish off a birthday quilt. Then last week I just "made" myself get back to sewing and that seems to have broken the spell so give it a go.

For me I go through spells of lots of machine work then lots of hand work. I don't think of it as being a problem unless I have a project that needs finishing by a deadline. Don't fret and enjoy what you do!

I go through phases. Machine sew, crochet, hand sew, etc. always something in my hands

Blog Entries
    I'm there now. I have two tops that need to be sandwiched & quilted. I'm working on a grandmother's flower garden with 1" hexies in between machine sewing. But - I've got a project in the planning stage and when it's just right, I'll start on 8 place mats for my daughter. I think I want each one to be like a mini quilt with a different block pattern and muted backing so she can still use them if she doesn't like the quilt side. Gotta go get fabric for the backing. I usually don't do muted anything.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    Don't panic, you will get the itch soon enough. I also go through periods where I don't even want to see fabric let alone sew anything. But then I find a quilt that I really want to do and I'm back to sewing. It has been a VERY hot summer here (up to 117 degrees) and I hope when it starts getting cooler (around Halloween) I will get back to sewing. Germanquilter - I live in the Mojave desert in California and I will tell you that when people move here, they seem to want to sleep for the first 4-6 weeks. We are only at 2500 feet, so I don't think it is the altitude. And since you just spent all that time moving (packing, unpacking, setting up rooms), I would certainly give yourself time to rest before jumping back into quilting.

I sometimes don't sew on the machine much due to physical problems or other priorities, but do use that time to design quilts and learn more about quilting. Recently, I've been forced into the situation by a herniated disk and cannot go downstairs to my sewing room. I'm not thrilled about that, but have been taking Craftsy classes, hanging out here, and designing quilts. I can also tie quilts upstairs, and have 18 finished tops to quilt or tie for homeless families for Christmas.

So long as you are doing something like hand sewing, you are still sewing, IMHO.

Blog Entries
    I just ordered epp to do 1,000 pyramids, will prob turn out to be 1500. I need a handwork job also