Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you had your DNA done? >

Have you had your DNA done?

Have you had your DNA done?

Old 02-26-2017, 03:53 AM

I've thought about doing it and was surprised to learn that there are different types of DNA testing and different companies who do it. I found this blog post from The Legal Genealogist an interesting read:

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/2015...-the-dna-buck/
Old 02-26-2017, 03:56 AM

I confess that it really does sound intriguing to do. I am tempted. I know that it sounds to some people that it is a waste of money- but I seem to 'waste' money on other things-so why not this. I do know one man who did it, found out there was a strong Irish connection, went to Ireland and met some distant relatives. It seems to have been a real highlight experience for him and his wife.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:56 AM

I had it done by both companies: 23 and me and Ancestry. The results were similar, but the first report I got from 23 and me was revised later.

The family folklore said that side came from Northern Austria and then into Southern Germany. I can trace the name back to Wuttenburg, Germany, which is in the southern part next to France. But when I got 23 and me back it said GREEK!! Well, Good Grief, no one ever mentioned that. Then I started looking at migration charts. Where did the folks come from who were in Austria, they migrated north from Italy and Greece. I thought there were also mercenaries that came with the Roman invaders who came to England, Ireland, etc.

I first became interested in this when my brother called and told me I needed to have my iron checked. One grandfather was pure Irish and hemochromatosis is called the Irish disease. It doesn't show up until a woman is about 60 and men about 55. Normally you take in 4 iron molecules, use one, and send the other out. But a hemochromatosis suffer stores the other 3 on any shelf that is available, like the liver, heart, kidney, pancreas, in places you sure don't need iron stored.

There are 6 bad genes: 282, 63 and 65. And you can have two copies (thus 6) of each one. Sure nuf, I have it too and I think that is why I came down with a hyperparathyroid tumor, colon cancer, restless leg syndrome, stomach trouble and all my other ills. My ferritin was 1060 at it's highest. Anything over 1000 and you are damaging your organs. Normal is 15-50. The cure is blood-letting. So if you are a regular blood giver to the Red Cross, you can keep it in check.

I had never given blood as I didn't want anyone to catch my restless leg syndrome that I had suffered with since I was 12. I gave 6 pints in 10 weeks, but my count is below 50 which is where the Dr. wants it. And I only have one copy of gene 282 and one copy of gene 63. If you have two copies of gene 282, that is the worst.

The symptoms of hemochromotosis are the same as old age....gradually falling apart. So I was glad to learn that yes, I am Irish, probably 25%. The incidence of this disorder is 9%, so not every Irishman has it, but it is worth checking.

I'll be glad to help anyone with more information. I had the cancerous part of the colon taken out, I went to Tampa, FLA and had the parathyroid tumor removed, Dr. put me on Parkinson's meds for the legs. I'm really much better. I've had two tests under 50 on the iron, next one April 2017. I do not eat out of an iron skillet, limit my Vit. C, no booze, but I'm 70 now.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:15 AM

Just saw a piece on tv this week where a pair of identical twins, a set of identical triplets and a set of identical quadtriplets had there's done and only the quads had matching dna. All done through Ancestry.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by eilers12634 View Post
Just saw a piece on tv this week where a pair of identical twins, a set of identical triplets and a set of identical quadtriplets had there's done and only the quads had matching dna. All done through Ancestry.
..so is that saying the tests were incorrect? I would like to see how these tests are done and by whom. I'm not that interested in who or where my ancestors came from, not going to change my life now. I was once told my maternal grandmother was the cousin of royalty in Austria....my luck...there's an old rundown castle out there with an enormous tax levi? No thanks. But for those who like to know their beginning, have fun. I do know someone who is a professional at this and has traveled extensively for her own and clients - saves just about every bit of everything so her history will be documented.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:55 AM

No, I know some of my "history" but am just not interested enough to pay quite a bit of money to find out "exactly" what my history is and I have NO desire to meet or learn about any other relatives than the ones I know about and have nothing to do with, other than my son and granddaughter.

Last edited by pocoellie; 02-26-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:16 AM

Yes, I did. I used Ancestry DNA. I was a little disappointed in the results but it probably that I was expecting much more info
Old 02-26-2017, 05:57 AM

I would like to do a DNA analysis. While my family has pretty good ideas about my mom's side of the family, emigrating from Norway and Germany, my dad's side of the tree is a little sketchy. My great grandfather ran away from home in Chicago(we think) at age 16, and never spoke of his family. We don't know anything about them, what their ancestry was, or even if he changed his last name. He did speak Swedish, but other than that, nothing. A couple of my dad's cousins have had a rare blood disease, which is more common in people of Jewish descent. It would be fun to have my dad tested. He's 75. Maybe a good christmas gift from us kids.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:32 AM

I had mine done through Ancestry a couple of years ago. It wasn't very expensive and was interesting, too. Mine was pretty much what I always knew regarding my European ancestors.
Sue
Old 02-26-2017, 06:58 AM

I've not had it done, but seeing how I know nothing of my paternal grandfather, I'm curious. I find it interesting the different points of view regarding the cost. $100 doesn't seem like a lot to me, but it can buy many yards of fabric!!!