Have you made a rag rug?

Old 09-25-2019, 08:19 AM

Default Have you made a rag rug?

Looking on a web site today and came across a pattern and tool to make rag rugs from strips of leftover fabric or 6 yards of one print. These are the kind you tie the strips with a knot and use a special tool to thread them through the previous line you made. (almost like crocheting with a needle.) Not the oval rugs you make with your sewing machine with a zig-zag stitch. My husbands grandmother use to make these types of rugs and he likes them. So of course with my millions of strips (so it seems) I thought about making one or two over the winter months. Have you ever made one? Did you enjoy the process? Did they last or fall apart? Let me know your thoughts please.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:28 AM

I have not done this yet. I tried to make a rag rug with a crochet hook one time but I got frustrated with the process and didn't get very far. Be sure to show us your project if you decide to make it. You may inspire someone to get started.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:10 PM

would that be a toothbrush rug technique? toothbrushes used to have a hold in them which is where the term came from. My cousin teaches this every winter at her local college, she has made some gorgeous ones. She tried to teach me, but I'd rather be sewing so she made me a beautiful blue and red rug and I made her a quilt she also does loom rugs.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:42 PM

Check in the craft stores for the tool. It might in the section with the big yarns that have loops. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2019, 11:57 PM

This craft is having a revival here in U.K. I'm visiting a local living history museum this morning with a group of "progy" mat makers. We are finding out about the history of mat making and looking at samples also some vintage quilts.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:24 AM

I am interested in this also. Sounds like something to work on in my lap for the colder winter evenings. Would love to see some pictures or a direct link on instructions.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Looking on a web site today and came across a pattern and tool to make rag rugs from strips of leftover fabric or 6 yards of one print. These are the kind you tie the strips with a knot and use a special tool to thread them through the previous line you made. (almost like crocheting with a needle.) Not the oval rugs you make with your sewing machine with a zig-zag stitch. My husbands grandmother use to make these types of rugs and he likes them. So of course with my millions of strips (so it seems) I thought about making one or two over the winter months. Have you ever made one? Did you enjoy the process? Did they last or fall apart? Let me know your thoughts please.
I will send you a PM about the rug.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:35 AM

I haven’t and won’t. At my age I am afraid of falling and those rugs look like they would really slip and slide! They are really pretty though.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I am interested in this also. Sounds like something to work on in my lap for the colder winter evenings. Would love to see some pictures or a direct link on instructions.
https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...nd-Tool/207124 This shows a different 'needle' than I used to make a T-shirt knit rug. Guess mine is called a the toothbrush tool.

Sent you a PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:34 AM

I made one with a similar "locker hooking" hook, but I found it very hard on my hands and gave the hook away after. Here is a link showing some instructions, if that helps?https://www.instructables.com/id/How...cker-Hook-Rug/